Airsoft Forum & MILSIM Forums > Airsoft Gun Discussion > Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs >

Modifying accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
E135

Liked 98 Times on 98 Posts

Default Modifying accessories

Some airsoft guns have handguards that come with attachable rail segments. Often, accessories such as angled and vertical grips can't utilize these segments due to some extra material on top. Because of this, you got a few choices:
-use a thicker rail segment (often a real one)
-don't bother with the accessory
-modify the accessory to work with what you have

As you could probably tell from the title, modifying accessories is what this thread is all about.

To kick off this thread, I need to sand down the top of my PTS battery storage vertical grip so it will work with my G&G CM16 mod 0. I will post before and after pictures later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
E135

Had to sand down the grip to the point where it is now unstable. I don't recommend the PTS battery storage grip, but now I need help finding something that will work without modification.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Zaryk

Liked 158 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by E135 View Post
Had to sand down the grip to the point where it is now unstable. I don't recommend the PTS battery storage grip, but now I need help finding something that will work without modification.
First I just want to mention, I have yet to find a grip that holds a battery that doesn't have problems. Some are very weak and will break because the walls of the grip is thin to make room for the battery. Others I messed with didn't fit a rail properly, like what your experiencing.

If it wobbles on the rail, you can do a couple of things to get it tight again. If the wobble isn't too bad, you can put a layer (or few layers) of electrical tape on the flat surface that contacts the rails. This method is simple but if you remove the grip often, it will need redone from time to time. If you want to fix it up more permanently, you can add a layer of JB weld to the same area and let it cure completely, and then sand slightly and fit it (repeat as needed) to get it exactly how you want it. These tricks helped out with many different ill fitting accessories I encountered.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
E135

It does not wobble, it flexes at the now extremely thin area that joins it to the rail.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
Zaryk

Liked 158 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by E135 View Post
It does not wobble, it flexes at the now extremely thin area that joins it to the rail.
That's disappointing, there isn't a good fix for that, at least that I can think of off the top of my head.

If you want something that would work well, maybe you could look around for someone that does 3d printing and have them make one to your specs.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 AM   #6
E135

Did some screwing around inside the house, and the grip has held up perfectly. I am confident that it will last some time now. I am still going to be on the lookout for a better grip for when it finally breaks.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
Lefse

Liked 284 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Lately I've developed a habit of installing rails on almost everything. I even tried putting a rail on my JT mask to attach a camera or light, it proved to be too impractical though. I'll show a couple pics of more succesful DIY rails:

Added a new top rail to my AUG:
Modifying accessories - Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs

My DIY camera mount should count as accessory modification, right?:

I also attached this cute little guy on the handguard on my MP5:

I have also re-purposed an unused AKM stock into an MP5K stock:

I love DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
Most electric blowbacks turn into electric-blowups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebz View Post
Give a man a soldering job, he can play airsoft for a day. Teach a man to solder and he sits in his basement building airsoft rifles all day. :D

Quick Reply