Player of the Month Winner - Griffin - Picture of the Month Winner - Southpaw19

Airsoft Forum & MILSIM Forums > General Airsoft > Beginners Forum > Basic AEG Maintenance and Care

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Grinder060

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Basic AEG Maintenance and Care

I wasn't sure if one of these existed, so I figured I would make one up.

BASIC AEG MAINTENANCE AND CARE

1. Clean your barrel! It's one of the most important parts in having an air gun. Cleaning your barrel is good practice after every use, especially if you have a tight bore barrel. This will prevent jams and keep your gun shooting like a champ.

Use this end of your your cleaning rod, tear off a little piece of napkin and put it through the little hole and wrap it around. And like Robin said, use only 100% silicon oil.

2.Always charge your batteries for the correct time needed! This is important because your battery can go bad if you do not. It is very wise to buy a smart charger along with a good quality battery. If you have a standard wall charger you will have to take your batteries Mah rating, and divide it by your chargers output Mah.

Example: 1100 Mah battery with a standard wall charger with an output Mah of 250.

1100/250=4.4

So a little under 4 and a half hours.

Always remember that a Ni Cd battery will need to be discharged before using, a Ni Mh won't need to be.

3. NEVER I repeat NEVER use .12 BB's! In fact never use any BB's from walmart, Dick's, MC SPORTS, Duhnams, or any other sporting good store around. The only time you should buy BB's locally is if it's from a store dedicated to airsoft. I have had good results with TSD Tactical .25's, and KSC perfects .25's.

The reason being is because using the cheap ammo will ruin your gun! BREAK THE INSIDES OF IT! Like I said....BREAK THE INTERNALS

They break pistons and chip gears. Now, would you rather spend the money repairing your airsoft weapon and maybe buying a new one, or use good quality BB's that will give you better performance anyways?

4. Treat the gun like a real firearm! Keep it out of sight from the public, orange tip or not. I'm sure I don't need to explain this one.

5. There's usually a BB chambered in the gun after you remove your Magizine! Make sure you clear your gun after use, fire in Semi a few times, make sure your not pointing toward anyone at the time, a BB will Fire! This is also Good practice because it resets the spring.

That's pretty much all the basic knowledge, If someone has something else to add, just tell me.

Some New Guy - "Well it's only a 9 mm it won't do anything." Navy Seal - "BUT, when I put 2 rounds through your heart and 1 through your head, you won't know the difference. And Neither will the enemy."
-----------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky D View Post
when I showed him all the pretty clear green shards of plastic from inside his gearbox, he looked like he was going to cry.

Last edited by Grinder060; 08-26-2009 at 06:47 PM.
MadcapJohnny Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
sXlash

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks This really helped, I never knew how long i should charge my battery.

"One day it will all make sense" Any.
Armoury
FN Scar
under construction
:cool:I have finally become the neighborhood tech.:cool:

Old 08-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Dragonfury

Could you describe the cleaning process a little more?

Like do I need to oil anything after a game? Anything majorly important that I should always remember to clean.

Thx

We're all dead in the end, so live life while you can

Old 08-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Robin-Hood

Liked 154 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 348

The only oil you should use EVER EVER EVER is 100% silicon based.

100% SILICON BASED!

Not silicon and petroleum or 75% silicon etc. 100%

Did I stress 100% enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Something is biting my feet. Will report back once found.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Grinder060

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Edited first post.

Some New Guy - "Well it's only a 9 mm it won't do anything." Navy Seal - "BUT, when I put 2 rounds through your heart and 1 through your head, you won't know the difference. And Neither will the enemy."
-----------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky D View Post
when I showed him all the pretty clear green shards of plastic from inside his gearbox, he looked like he was going to cry.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
SgT_ScReWb

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

there are some .20's at walmart that i use and they seem fine, they are seemless and polished as well... been using them for a while and i've had no problem except for 1 bb...

♠¤ѕсязшߤ♠

"Всегда здесь. Всегда готово."
H6

Quote:
Will you be able to one day say, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother f----- in the God damn valley?"
~Sgt. Siek, Jarhead
Click Below
http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?ScReWb

Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
G36fanatic...
Supporting Member

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

you should switch to higher quality. Even a higher quality .20 will give you better accuracy, trust me!!!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Frontline

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Seriously, I've noticed all the difference. I used to use those. Now i've got .25's from TSD, and they work like a charm.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
SgT_ScReWb

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hmmm i guess your right... anyway i can get it cheaper than 12$ plus shipping in NH?

♠¤ѕсязшߤ♠

"Всегда здесь. Всегда готово."
H6

Quote:
Will you be able to one day say, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother f----- in the God damn valley?"
~Sgt. Siek, Jarhead
Click Below
http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?ScReWb

Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Echihn

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder060 View Post
I wasn't sure if one of these existed, so I figured I would make one up.

BASIC AEG MAINTENANCE AND CARE

1. Clean your barrel! It's one of the most important parts in having an air gun. Cleaning your barrel is good practice after every use, especially if you have a tight bore barrel. This will prevent jams and keep your gun shooting like a champ.

Use this end of your your cleaning rod, tear off a little piece of napkin and put it through the little hole and wrap it around. And like Robin said, use only 100% silicon oil.
Thats is the ABSOLUTE WRONG WAY to clean a barrel.

DO NOT USE ANY SILICONE TO CLEAN. SILICONE IS NOT A CLEANING AGENT. SILICONE WILL DIRTY A BARREL.

The correct way to clean a barrel, is to use isotrophol (sp) alcohol. Silicone will actually dirty a barrel. WAAAAY dirty a barrel. In fact it will make it as most unefficient as it can be.

to add:

So, for barrel and hopup cleaning, use 70+% rubbing alcohol.

To lube the hopup, use 100% pure, silicone rc shock oil, not the crap made for airsoft. Silicone made for airsoft is NOT 100% pure silicone as it uses other chemicals to compress and spray it. RC shock oil is pure liquid silicone, something you WONT find with ANY airsoft mfg silicone.

Next, using silicone on a barrel to clean it will :
A: reduce fps
B: Reduce consistency
c: lower fps
d: cause malfunctions.

in the end, you DON'T want a lubed barrel. You want a clean barrel. Being silicone lubes, and not cleans, your adding dirt to the barrel by using silicone. You need alcohol to get it down to bare, clean metal. Anything else... well guess what, your not cleaning.

in the end, airsoft myths need to stop here. Silicone doesn't clean, it lubes. Its a simple concept that I'm surprised most don't understand.

You follow the guide in this thread it will a: weaken your gun, b: cause inconsistencies you wouldn't see with a real cleaning method.

in the end, this thread = fail because its mis information going on common myths of aeg users. Open your mind and think with your head... because real life, is exactly opposite as what was said. (and if anyone wants to argue with me, lets go to the range and see who is hitting 275-300 feet consistently. It sure aint any of the aeg users on this site

And to specifically point a finger, robin was not only wrong about the silicone, he was mis informed. But, we will cut him slack, because this is a common mistake with new airsofters.

NEVER EVER USE SILICONE TO CLEAN, AS THATS NOT ONLY ITS OPPOSITE INTENDED USE, ITS GOING AGAINST PURE PHYSICS. lube = drag. Sure lube fixes friction, but being a barrel isn't designed to add friction and needs to be spotless clean, it means, silicone as a cleaning agent will just add drag, dust, dirt, and really turn the cleaning intervals into a by use type of ordeal. So once again, ALCOHOL is the ONLY cleaning agent for barres... bar none. And like said, any one who wants to contest it, feel free to compete with me range wise... as I will quickly show you what really works, and what doesn't. End of story.

"Remember, there are no stupid questions... just stupid people" - [/I]Mr. Garrison

Last edited by Echihn; 09-07-2009 at 09:05 PM.
People Like This 

Quick Reply