Player of the Month Winner - Qui-Gon - Picture of the Month Winner - Lil_Shady

Airsoft Forum & MILSIM Forums > General Airsoft > General Airsoft Discussion > Differences between casual airsoft, and mil-sim airsoft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Shiftyshooter
Learn from your mistakes.

Liked 728 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Default Differences between casual airsoft, and mil-sim airsoft

Yes, you do use airsoft guns for both, but there still is a huge difference.

I decided to write this article because I frequently see airsofters saying that they love mil-sim, later, when describing the supposedly mil-sim scenario, it turns out it was just another paintball style airsoft battle. People used high capacity magazines and poured thousands of bbs around the area.

I am only going to use terms “competitive airsofters” in a descriptive way for lack of better words, not in any derogatory way.

What is airsoft?
Technically speaking, airsoft is a game where participants shoot each other with weapon replicas using gas or air to propel 6 or 8 mm bbs (ball bearings) made out of plastic. I am not going to talk about its history, since you can find that anywhere on the internet.

There are basic rules, but mostly, airsoft is a competition sport, unlike mil-sim, which is strictly scenario based.

Mil-sim, shortcut for military simulation, as its name implies, is a type of game where there are real military strategies used, usually incorporates machinery, scenario, airsoft teams that study and simulate real units and armies and medium to low capacity magazines.

A mil-sim operation usually is for a large number of players who take part in given objectives and try to reach then using good teamwork, co-operation with other units and support.

In mil-sim scenarios there are at least two sides taking part in the conflict and both try to reach their own objectives, unlike competitive airsoft where one side usually attacks and the other defends. In mil-sim shooting is not the only option. There can be kidnapping, negotiation, special mid-night operations, etc. People kidnapped (and this is a scenario I have experienced myself) can even be forced to water boarding and other forms of torture under the surveillance of a trained doctor (it was part of the scenario and people willing to go through that had a special card with them which, when found by the captor, gave them a special right to SLIGHTLY torture the prisoner), which is, in a way a great experience.

I highly doubt that this would ever happen in competitive airsoft.

It is very likely that during a mil-sim scenario, you will not see bb sprayers. As you are given only a certain amount of ammo for the whole game, you cannot afford to spray senselessly.

Mil-sim airsofters are usually people dedicated to what they do and in many cases soldiers or former soldiers. Most of those people have sunk more money into their equipment then some people in their cars. I can guarantee that most competitive airsofters would not stand a chance against mil-sim airsofters.

Competitive airsofters mostly rely on having more ammo in their high capacity magazines than others. Mil-sim airsofters rely on their team members and mates.

Mil-sim airsoft is not about competition, about shooting at other people, it is about co-operation, about simulation of something you will not experience every day, it is about being part of something extraordinary, friendship, and the memories. I mean, what could be better than to go to an assault sitting on the hull of a BMP.

During a mil-sim game, you do everything in-game. Eating, bathroom, sleeping, etc. There are no breaks.

So, I guess, there are the main differences between competitive airsoft and mil-sim airsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHOP View Post
Dude, Shifty reenacts the Russian VDV. He knows what he's talking about. The only time I've seen him be wrong about an Eastern Bloc weapon was when he spelled Yevgeny Dragunov incorrectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njnewland
So, how much you willing to pay for my mom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by _clevername_ View Post
I just Multicame.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Grudge

Liked 40 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is a nice, basic, overview.

Cam (Grudge) Gray

“The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.” – Albert Ellis

"The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first." - Mark Twain

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L.../Signbar-2.gif

Fortitudo, Pertinacia et Victoria

People Like This 
Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
mitchums

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

this actually sounds like alot of fun.
i wish i had the time, money, and a place to play in games like this

Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
-Sun Tzu

People Like This 
Old 08-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
Remoon101

Liked 75 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good basic summary of the two

My Basic Guide to Gas-Powered Guns

KWA M93R L.E. Custom - KWA M93R Number Two - KWA USP Compact
Austin Likes This 
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
McGee

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Here's a necro-post, since the request for anyone's / other people opinions and thought on the definition thread was closed.

Does wearing an accurate loadout of some real life military unit make a game 'milsim'?
Does milsim require a pre-determined script for how the events will take place?
Are role-players necessary for milsim?
Can people use hi-caps and still experience a milsim game?
If you are on a team, and go to an event and use radios and tactics, is this a milsim game?

Austin Likes This 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Shiftyshooter
Learn from your mistakes.

Liked 728 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Generally, if you are going to a mil-sim event, an accurate load out is not absolutely necessary. It is, however, looked upon favorably if you do. Many people still decide not to and nobody can make them wear what they should.
Mil-sim has certain limits and boundaries which can change, to an amount.
Yes, role-play is a big chunk of mil-sim in our games, as people get to be treated by doctors if they get, for example, shot in their arm, etc. But then again, nobody is going to look down at you if you do not follow this. It is more of a bonus for the other players. It makes the event look better. Just look at regular airsofters, who just shout out "Hit" in the middle of a fire fight and walk away. What happens during some mil-sim events is this:
One of the players get shot in the stomach. As soon as he gets hit, he starts screaming and begging for help. Members of his team will send out a medic and start a defensive barrage. The fire fight gets more intense as the medic is pulling the wounded guy behind him and has twelve other people frenetically shooting at each other and still trying to get the medic away from the hot spot.
No, people cannot use high capacity magazines during mil-sim events.
Well, that depends on how much they do of each.

The reason I closed your thread was that I would like to keep the general knowledge of mil-sim in one tight space and in as little threads as possible. So that people do not need to search for hours through the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHOP View Post
Dude, Shifty reenacts the Russian VDV. He knows what he's talking about. The only time I've seen him be wrong about an Eastern Bloc weapon was when he spelled Yevgeny Dragunov incorrectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njnewland
So, how much you willing to pay for my mom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by _clevername_ View Post
I just Multicame.
Austin Likes This 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
GunsnBones

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Nice overview Shifty!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
McGee

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftyshooter View Post
The reason I closed your thread was that I would like to keep the general knowledge of mil-sim in one tight space and in as little threads as possible. So that people do not need to search for hours through the boards.
Copy that.

I'm about to leave for a 3-day Cimmerian event in NV. Insert at night, etc.

I'd like to start a discussion about milsim when I get back next week. There are different ways to go about it. Basically, people draw the lines in different places and I'd like to hear how it works for them.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
Urban_ART

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Great way to explain the difference between the two.

The Rebellious

Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
TriadAirsoft

love it good description, I wish I could go to a mil-sim event, but I'm not old enough

Check out my YouTube channel for the very few videos I have :D!!! TriadAirsoft

Quick Reply