2 problems with my AK

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Noah_6, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Noah_6

Noah_6 Active Member

Burbank
    So I've been trying to sell this AK, I just tested it and there are 2 problems:

1. It will not feed because the mag doesn't sit high enough

2. The selector switch will never align properly.

I've had these same problems with at least 4 other AK models. Can anyone help me?

2. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    I know how to fix the issue of the mag not sitting high enough. Cut a few .5" x .25" strips of electrical tape and stack them on top of each other. Then stick that clump under the magazine lip of the ak mag. Obviously this is only a temporary fix as the tape will eventually fall off but it only requires a few minutes of time and has worked on my drum mag AND normal magazine. Cut longer strips if necessary..

3. Noah_6

Noah_6 Active Member

Burbank
    I've done that before, it worked, but I was hoping for a more permanent fix

4. MNairsoft7

MNairsoft7 New Member

For the mag, I dremeled and sanded a small piece of plastic until it was the right sized, and then super glued it on the lip.

For the selector switch, you might have to explain more.

5. Noah_6

Noah_6 Active Member

Burbank
    I love that idea. I'm gonna try it.

As for the selector switch:

Even when I'm absolutely sure all the teeth on the selector gears are lined up right, the selector switch will still do full auto in both notches, and semi auto when past the semi auto notch. Then back in the full auto notch, the safety engages. I keep checking the timing cam to make sure it's aligned correctly, and it appears correct every time, although it does not behave correctly.

6. MNairsoft7

MNairsoft7 New Member

I'm not sure, but it might be a problem with the cutoff lever or the plastic trolley arm that the selector gear pushes.

7. Noah_6

Noah_6 Active Member

Burbank
    I might have found a problem. The metal selector arm and the nut that transitions it to the actual selector switch are made of a soft, weak metal, that deforms too easily. Does anyone know if they make an aftermarket one out of steel or aluminum?

8. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero Active Member

Thats probably not the issue... Does the selector switch tirn easily? Im willing to bet you have the motor/battery wire rubbing the selector switch on the left side of the Ak making it unable to move. It has happened to me both times I took apart my gun... It can be a hassle to get it routed just right so that it does not interfere with the plate on the left.

Now I assume this is the case as you said you can switch from safe to auto/semi. If it was an issue with the metal itself you probably would have trouble switching out of safe mode at all.

9. Noah_6

Noah_6 Active Member

Burbank
    hmmm.. that sounds possible too. I'll have a look at that. Thanks.

10. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    What brand of mags are you running in your AK?
    What brand is your AK?

I have issues with my KA low-caps feeding in CYMA AK's, but they work fine in JG and SRC AK's.
    It comes down to differences in the specs of the gun and the mags, some combinations just don't work.

As far as I know there are no aftermarket selector cams made of aluminum or steel.

Have you tried misaligning the cam to compensate for the issue?