Featured 2018 OCAW line

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Topshotz357, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Active Member

Drexelhill
    So I'm currently saving for mine but I was wondering if anyone has ordered one aswell or has one from last gen and had a review or opinion.

2. Sobo

Sobo Member

Sheboygan
    I was here to start the discussion about the 2018 OCAW as well. If you wont lose sleep over spending $2K on an airsoft gun, I'd totally buy one. The gun will be the end game of all aeg related spending, for a long time. 1 year warranty is great for an aeg and coming from using a Tippmann, I know that 1 year is a looong time.

All that being said, lets do a cost analysis on the gun to understand how much you're paying for what. This is the MRP cost of each part if you were to buy them yourself and have your local tech build the gun for you:
    Gate Titan Mosfet: $150
    Siegetek Gears: $125
    Starwei motor: $60 approx
    Gearbox shell: $85
    Air nozzle: $6
    Cylinder head $12
    Cylinder: $10
    Piston with good head: $20
    Tappet plate: $10
    Spring: $12
    Spring guide: $15
    Bearings: $20
    Shims: $5
    ARL: $10
    Trigger: $10
    Other small tidbits: $15
    R-hopped prommy: $90
    Good bucking: $12
    Prowin? hopup: $28
    Receiver set: $150 approx
    Mlok rail: $90
    Buffer tube:$20
    Stock: $45
    Motor grip: $25
    Outer barrel: $30 approx
    Flashhhider: $25
    Flipup sights: $35
    Selector switch: $15
    Other miscellaneous part:$25
    Tech time approx 3 hrs for complete build and tune @$25/hr: $75
    Total: $1250
    Even if I underestimated tech time to build and tune and missed a few small parts, there is a $700 difference between getting one built yourself if you tracked down the same parts and if you trusted your local tech to do an equally good job at assembling and tuning. The question is are you willing to pay $700 extra if you trust your local tech's competency.

3. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    No cuz I don't trust a local tech to do as good or better then people who make a living on doing it and I don't know teching so ...

4. Sobo

Sobo Member

Sheboygan
    In that case, I'd go for it. Let's do another analysis here. An average $300 aeg lasts approx 10 games before either a: I get bored with it and sell it or b: Something breaks or performance goes downhill and you pour money into upgrades. That brings the cost per game of an aeg to about $30 avg. For a $2K gun, to meet the $30/game avg, you would be airsofting atleast 30 weekends a year for a couple years before you could consider other options/get out of airsoft.
    Now granted, the amount of superiority and batshit crazy performance this gun will give you outweighs all such stupid cost analysis, its just another point to consider.

Specter4 likes this.
  5. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    It's to be my primary gun and what I get tonight from my mystery box is my backup gun I only play now and then like say 10times a year currently so I feel like it will last year's before breaking since I have my tippmann x7phenom and had it for 6 years now and no problems fired about 30000rounds through it love this thing

6. Sobo

Sobo Member

Sheboygan
    Sorry to hog this thread but I'd like to steer the conversation towards the performance claims of the OCAW:
    30ms cycle time: I'm making a few assumptions here but to achieve that cycle time I believe they used a 10.44:1 Siegetek gearset with the star wei motor which(correct me if Im wrong) is a 30K rpm motor with 22tpa with strong neodymium magnets. That would also explain the 33rps rof. The question that arises is: With what battery? Are they going to be supplying a battery? My guess is with that gearset and motor, you need a 11.1V 2000mah 25C lipo. Marketing being marketing, they left out this detail, we would've appreciated it as a side note. I have zero doubts they fine tuned the efficiency of the gun too, it wouldn't hurt to say how many rounds it will last on the said battery. If I ever to ask for more, maybe even amp draw per shot. My guess is around 12-14 amps.

225ft range: This is completely believable. UA Rhops are top notch and 225' should be piece of cake for a carbine length barrel. The detail they left out was: What bb weight? Can I assume that is with 0.2's? This is only good news as you can push farther with heavier bbs.

The only other thing I wish they did or mentioned was hard anodised aluminum receiver set. I just want my airsoft ferrari to look pretty forever.

7. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    I'll ask about the range being acquired from what bb and yes it comes with batteries 11.1 I believe

8. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

33rps is either going to be 16TPA (30k) with 13:1 gears, or 22TPA (22k) with 10.44:1 gears, both running 11.1v. Shooting 400fps at that ROF then the current draw is going to be in the region of 25-27A continuous, with a start up peak of around 100-110A.
    225' is about the maximum range that a 0.28g BB will carry with a muzzle energy equivalent to 400fps/0.2g.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  9. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Can't heavier bbs get it more range say a .30+ get 250+

10. Hangtight

The heavier the BB the further it'll carry and retain backspin. But I think the claim of 225' sounds about right for 0.28g. Plus if this is fitted with a carbine length barrel, then that's about the most efficient weight for the air volume available. 363mm barrel and a full cylinder gives around 2.5:1 cylinder /barrel volume ratio which is ideal for around 0.28g BBs.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  11. Hangtight

Now I've read the specs for the gun, I'm going with that motor being 16TPA (30k).it's a rebrand of the ASG CNC U30000 (or the ASG is a rebrand of this one...) and the gears being 14.09:1.
    You could build something that gave the same performance and was just as nice externally for less than half the price. Make that the same performance and a bit less spangly outside for about a quarter the price...If you know what you're doing.

BOA_SP3CT3R, ma_airsoft and Specter4 like this.
  12. Sobo

Sobo Member

Sheboygan
    I'm sorry but I disagree, the simple math I did above shows you cant build one for half the price, even if you cut corners on externals. If what you're paying for was parts then anybody could build a track-worthy wrx with off the shelf quad turbos, carbon fiber body and some weird unheard of suspensions. It's how those parts work together and the tech competence that really makes it shine. Still not arguing whether its worth another $700, that's a different topic altogether, the sentence I'm contending is 'make it perform the same'.

13. Specter4

Specter4 Member

Highland
    I wouldn't consider any m4 to be a figurative 'ferrari' they're just too ordinary no matter how much they change. Honda Civic ok yea absolutely. And with that in mind, if you wanted something crazy and uncommon like a PKM or L85 built into a workhorse on par with UA it would cost the same if not LESS and I'd consider it closer to a Ferrari just because of them having more rarity. definitely just opinion, but still lol..

I agree with hangtight though, the prices referred to earlier are definitely retail prices not wholesale prices. Just speaking from retail experience you don't make money if you have overhead unless you're doubling it. I mean flagship smartphones cost cents on the dollars they're sold for just remember that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  14. Sobo

Sobo Member

Sheboygan
    Actually I think a higher end M4 would be comparable to a higher end car like I was eluding to, since both are still mainstream and most like as kids desktop wallpapers or bedroom decor. If weird things are your thing, I would compare a PKM and L85 to a Buick Centurion or a Porsche Panamericana.

I agree but remember you'd still be paying retail price for those. You and me are not getting the wholesale price of parts that you're referring to. At the end of the day, its how much you end up paying. I agree that I forgot to add overhead expenses that a company like UA would have. Lets say 20% of the product cost is overhead. So overhead comes to $250. Total actual cost $1500. That brings the gap to $500. Hmmm, the gun seems more and more worth the price.

15. Hangtight

When I said "perform the same" that didn't necessarily mean "use the same parts". Give me a few minutes, and I'll put together a list of proven parts and a solid base gun that I know build up without compatability issues that will give similar performance, and see what it adds up to. I'll do the prices in UK currency, which pretty much corresponds to the price you'd pay in dollars.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  16. Sobo

Sobo Member

Sheboygan
    I do not doubt that you can build a gun that will give the same performance with different parts for less but if you had the cash and wanted something truly high end that lasted a LONG time, would you be willing to endure the headache to research the 'alternative' parts and then spend the time and skill to build it yourself?
    Let me put it this way, I'm MrBigShot looking to buy car that would go FAST, would I soup up a civic or buy a McLaren. The same thing goes here too and brings to the first thing I said : If you wont lose sleep over spending $2K on an airsoft gun, by all means, do it.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  17. Hangtight

I'm just trying to bring some perspective to the situation. I'm fortunate enough to have the experience and acquired skill /knowledge to put together something that will perform as well as, and last as long as the $2k gun for a quarter the price, but then I'm the guy who will tinker away in the garage for months and turn out a £50k car that'll wipe the floor with a £200k car. It may not look as pretty doing it... ;)

But anyway... Apart from the base gun this is pretty much the build in my primary which has had a lot of rounds through it with no failures, and sends 0.28g BBs out to 65-70m accurately with a muzzle energy of 1.14J (350fps/0.2g) running 7.4v. I know it holds up to 11.1v and 400fps because it spent a while as a DMR. Our limits are a bit lower in the UK.

Specna Arms SA-A03 £240
    ASG CNC U30000 £50
    ZCI 9 tooth bevel gear £5.50
    ZCI 13.62:1 gears £12
    Cyma full metal rack piston £10
    ICS POM piston head £4.50
    Stock cylinder, polished
    Cylinder head and nozzle are stock as they're metal and have O rings.
    Prometheus 300mm barrel £50
    DIY R hop with Maple Leaf hop rubber £8
    Gate Titan £74
    Gate USB link £27
    Shims, Deans connectors, decent grease, dental floss... Call it £10

That totals a fraction over £500, and call it £100 of my time to put it together.

As an exercise in spending money I can't afford, I wonder what I could put together with a two grand budget! ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    BOA_SP3CT3R, Specter4 and Chow like this.
  18. Specter4

Specter4 Member

Highland
    Gotta love the dental floss hopup mod. xD

Topshotz357 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  19. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    What's sleep?

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.