2019 Teching Olympics!

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by BOA_SP3CT3R, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Yeah, depending on when it is

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Yeah, depending on funds

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Yeah, depending on how many other people are

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. I'm not interested

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Other(please comment)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    Hey guys, as some of you know I'm trying to get this going this year. PM or reply if interested, and tell others!

Tentative starting date: March 1st
    Ending date: TBD

Interested techs:
    1. Myself of course
    2. antizombie
    3. FlightSimGuy
    4. Peeque
    5. CaptCookie
    6. danerd
    7. Lefse
    8. Airsoft Antics
    9. yrutimid
    10. Brokenarrow
    11. FLT Airsoft(don’t know his name on here)
    12. DannyB
    13. Possibly the legendary theairsofttech

Judges:
    Let me know if you'd be willing to judge. So far Wingman703 and Shady will judge, but having 1-2 more is optimal. Judges obviously have to be experienced members.
    I like Wingman’s idea:
    So after the judges judgingly judge, members will be able to vote on their favorites.

Requirements:
    I had more requirements, but most have been removed to make things easier. That said, while all entries must shoot airsoft BB’s, here are some recommendations:
    -Shooting video(if you don’t have one, there’s no way of actually knowing how the gun cycles)
    -Actual measured distance for range tests
    -Chrono your build

There is now a tentative prize for the winner! I can't reveal what it is, but it's pretty cool.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    How would the Judge, judge from a video?

3. BOA_SP3CT3R

Bull Shoals
    The competitors would send/post a shooting video. Of course microphones usually make a gun sound screechier than it does in person, so that's kind of a problem.

OPERATOR SPECTRE likes this.
  4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    I think you should ship the gun...but that is just me.

5. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    We tried a competition like this ~5 years ago. Didn’t work out.

Once we had all the categories sorted out there were far to many (CQB, Field Rifle, DMR, Sniper, GBBR, ROF, Accuracy, Range). This either diluted the player pool since some guys only wanted to work on one category, or it created overlaps between categories that made some of them redundant in all but name.

The biggest hindrance was the Field Rifle and DMR categories, since a DMR is a field rifle with better range/accuracy, and in many cases build lists for both of the categories looked the same.

Having experienced techs competing discouraged newer techs from entering since it was well-documented how good their builds were.

No one really trusted user-submitted data, so it was decided to ship the guns to judges. One judge was not enough since no one experienced tech was really ‘specialized’ enough to judge more then a few categories so we ended up on 2-3 judges. That made shipping costs prohibitive for several people since that also brought up the point of having each gun checked by 2 judges.

It became a rabbit hole of ideas very quickly.
    Pick one build type and have a competition for that, don’t try making this competition inclusive to everything, otherwise you end up with a weak, unfocused, mess.

Lefse, -Spitfire-, fred_ditto and 3 others like this.
  6. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    Definitely needs more refined guidelines rules and categories. If not , I can see this fading fast

7. BOA_SP3CT3R

Bull Shoals
    Yup. I'm just trying to see if there's enough interest.

8. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    Alternatively, could say screw categories, just have everybody post their builds, and then have members vote on their favorite.

9. antizombie

antizombie Well-Known Member

Schofield
    Something along those lines probably has a much better chance of success. Let's people be creative. Make the only stipulation that the gun has to fire a 6MM plastic pellet lol. Then that lets people with low funds try to win through sheer creativity.

BOA_SP3CT3R and fred_ditto like this.
  10. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    I disagree. We should allow 8mm as well.

#8mmmasterrace

jslusher, adas1223 and fred_ditto like this.
  11. Airsoft Antics

Airsoft Antics Active Member

Orangeville
    I like this idea

12. antizombie

Schofield
    Yeah, I think one of the issues is always how much extra money people have, but if there aren't super strict rules it lets more people join.

13. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    I agree with this. Setting out a series of categories with guidelines will make things very complicated. I think a series of user-submitted builds would get more attention and be easier to handle.

14. BOA_SP3CT3R

Bull Shoals
    I'm thinking this is probably a better idea.

There is now a tentative prize for the winner. I can't reveal what it is, but it's something any sane member on this forum would like.

So, if there aren't any categories who'd like to be in it?

-Spitfire- likes this.
  15. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    I'd be up for this.

16. Airsup

Airsup Well-Known Member

Redlands, CA
    Would externals count? Cause I don’t think they should. I’m mean it is a teching comp after all. I would be down to join if it was more casual.

17. antizombie

Schofield
    Honestly I would consider externals teching. Without externals you wouldn't have a gun.

-Spitfire- and Chow like this.
  18. Airsup

Airsup Well-Known Member

Redlands, CA
    Ya but that would be a problem for people like me who can’t afford nice externals and nice internals.

BOA_SP3CT3R and fred_ditto like this.
  19. Chow

Chow Well-Known Member Supporting Member

DFW
    I think this might work the best. I doubt anyone would want to spend the money to ship their replicas off to someone, especially as Raven1st pointed out, it would get even more costly if there is more than one judge. However, wouldn't there need to be some sort of requirement(s) that falls in line with basic tech work? It would seem that a competition like this one would need more refined guidelines for a better increase in participation or how replicas are graded, such as basic reliability standards, types of modifications, FPS/RPS increases, etc. Or, even award additional marks for those that go above and beyond with their builds.

Depends on what it would be. If it's just buying external pieces and installing them, that wouldn't be too impressive. However, if it's custom making parts (3D printing parts, like how adas1223 does) or having to customize various parts to complete installation, then that would/should be different and be allowable.

I like this idea though BOA_SP3CT3R! Great job on coming up with it! I will not have the time to do it this year unfortunately, but would if I could.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    BOA_SP3CT3R, -Spitfire- and Airsup like this.
  20. antizombie

Schofield
    YEah when I said externals should count this is what I was thinking. Anyone can go buy a $600 body, but I'd love to see what people can do with 3d printing, or even some super glue and pvs lol. You can build some sweet stuff out of basement scraps.