226 or USP

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Nacht, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Nacht

Nacht New Member

Priceville
    There seems to be a lack of P226s floating around...especially considering I don't want to pay $200+ for a TM.

So...those are the two models I'm looking at. I've both good and bad about the KJW P226, and my personal experience with KJW mags hasn't been so great...that would make me lean towards getting a KWA. Except I've also heard people say the KJW 226 is better than KWA...

Should I wait for KWA to do their quarterly run of 226s or whatever, buy a KJW P226, or get a KWA USP?

Also, sub $170 would be nice.

2. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    stay away from KJW pistols. They either run great or have crap mags... they are alot like WE pistols.
    KWA is your best choice
    The USP is a very nice pistol. but its big for some hands.
    The Sig is a nice pistol as well and fits more hands.
    both very reliable and both vry accurate if you take the time to dial them in.
    I own both lol

3. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    I happen to have owned both of these pistols. First the mags of the KJW p226 are awesome I never had a problem with them, the gun shot great and was fantastic for a $60 door buster sale. Having said that I do prefer my kwa usp over the kjw for overall build quality and functionality. If its in your budget the kwa is awesome but really I would get the p226 because you could at least get it with an extra mag for the same price as the usp alone.

4. Scarred

Scarred New Member

I'd get the KWA P226. I've handled one and it was great. It felt just like the real one.

5. Nacht

Nacht New Member

Priceville
    Is the KWA 226 better than the USP at all? Frankly, I really don't care which one I get, looks wise...but if they 226 is substantially better, I'll wait for it.

6. Scarred

Scarred New Member

Yes, I'd say the 226 is better than the USP.

7. Nacht

Nacht New Member

Priceville
    What do they go for when they're in stock? Or should I just go secondary market?

8. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    I'd say the KWA USPs are better than the KWA 226.
    I'd also say that the KJW 226s are better than KWA 226s. My friend's KWA 226 has way too many problems for me to like it. Might be a lemon, but honestly I think KWA's 226s are their worst model, and KJW 226s are KJW's best model.
    But this is just my take. Others may disagree.

9. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    It seems to be in the general consensus that the kwa p226 is of lesser quality than the kjw, because I've heard that too. I've only had the kjw model and it was fantastic

10. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Get the KJW 226, and shell a little extra out for some TM mags, no mag issues then, and the pistol quality will be better than your other 2 choices

11. Nacht

Nacht New Member

Priceville
    What makes the KJW better than the KWA?

12. Lil_Shady

Better accuracy, range, gas efficiency, reliability, durability..... The only think KWA *might* have on the KJW is slightly nicer externals.

13. Nacht

Nacht New Member

Priceville
    Durability is very important to me...other stuff doesn't matter quite so much. Anything that needs to be upgraded out of box?

14. la999

la999 New Member

Fairfax
    I've had both the TM and the KJW.

The newer KJW have better trades and less BS trades then the older models.
    When any of my KJW mags leaked (only one did and it was 2 years old) i just tefloned the base plate's oring.

If you know how to take apart a mag, you'll be fine.

15. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    From the owner of 4 USPs, KWA is definitely want you want. Make sure if you get the Match, you also get Match mags. Freaking work horses all around, I'm still trying to break my first one [/serious joke]

In terms of the 226. I personally believe the KWA model sits on the shelf next to the ATP, lots of little problems. KJW or a TM P226 would be all I'd spend my money on again. And yes TM mags if you can get your hands on them. I loved my lil KJW P226 before I sold it to a good friend.

16. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    I have watched 4 KJW 226 fail and every person changed over to a KWA and not a single problem. Accuracy was inconstant on all 4 KJW, gas proficiency was horrible, the quality was not the same as the KWA looks wise or feeling, the KJW had spring problems in the hammer and trigger (on all 4) and the mags all fail. You have to upgrade the KJW to get the same base performance as a OOB KWA.
    All 4 KJW were compared to the KWA and every single one failed in comparrison on accuracy, gas proficiency, looks and feel, and durability. The blowback on the KJW was the only nice thing about it other than the price. If your going to get anything outside the KWA get the TM.
    KJW pistols (Ive owned 4, 226, 1911, m9 and glock) are all a waste of time compared to KWA. Their price tag is their only high point.
    I changed over to the KWA 226, KWA 1911 and the KSC Glock. Im not a fan of the M9 in general so i just got rid of it and get the USP instead
    Look all over the boards, the consensus is that KWA and TM are the top brands for GBB pistols. Then WE and then KJW... There was a poll once that showed that.
    So in conclusion
    TM and KWA are your best choices

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  17. Lil_Shady

I beg to differ. Having owned, and teched, more pistols than I could hope to ever count, KJW is better than KWA. The only model KWA has that is at least decent is the USP. I've been teching gas pistols for 5 years, and in that time have seen more WE and KWA pistols than I've ever seen of KJW. The KWAs that came in we're all less than 6 months old. Besides my personal KJWs that I fixed, I've only had one come in. It was jamming, I cleaned and lubed it, and it shot like the day it was new.

18. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree now because I dont want this to turn into a im right and your wrong thread...

I have fixed my 4, and the other 3 226s on several occasions and my friend who is a tech has fixed more KJW and WE then anything else.

In my experience, KJW and WE are similar. You can have a great one or a bad one. I guess it all depends on what day of the week it was made...

19. Nacht

Nacht New Member

Priceville
    I hate when this happens. >_>

Scratch the 226 altogether. Can everyone agree a KWA USP is at least decent?

20. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    KWA USPs are their best pistols in my opinion.