27year old airsoft newb here

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Topshotz357, Oct 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Well-Known Member

Drexelhill
    Hey guys I play milsim arma on pc I play paintball often but I've yet to play airsoft any advice or just basically the same as paintball but without the mess

2. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

Very different to paintball. The guns are more accurate with better range so the play can be a lot more tactical and team based.
    Go play a couple of games with a hire gun to get a feel for things. You don't need to drop any money on gear, as simple dark clothing will work pretty much as well as full camo at airsoft ranges. Having said that, gloves are a good idea, as are boots that offer good ankle support. Trousers with good deep pockets to carry your bottle of BBs and a bottle of water (you'll need it!). A hat that covers your forehead (getting shot in the face sucks) and perhaps your own eye pro, as hire masks can be a bit jankey. Anything that's had someone else's sweaty face in it... Not for me thanks!
    Other than that, play nice, call your hits and enjoy. ;)

3. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    you might enjoy the faster pace of CQB depending where your coming from in paintball. its cheaper, cleaner yet very similar. call your hits unless you want to be 'that guy' everyone will talk trash at you, horrible time. alternatively, compliment everyones guns and gear, we like that a lot.

BOA_SP3CT3R and Topshotz357 like this.
  4. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    I already bought most of my gear n guns and I'm saving for a umbrella krytac spr dmr 450fps I know I'll like it I love paintball even tho I've busted my ankles playing several times and been shot in the gonads even when not playing :( but yeh thanks for the advice man thumbs up

5. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    K yeh I always call my hits i even call paintchecks on my self to stay fair

6. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    My biggest gripes of paintball is low fps =low ranges and the mess my guns accurate as he'll I can shoot you from accrost a soccer field np if using it at 400fps I have a rifled hammerhead barrel

7. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    I play milsim and woodsball mainly

8. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Thanks for all the advice guys anymore will be appreciated

9. Sobo

Sobo Member

Sheboygan
    Hi Topshot, nice to see someone else my age here. At 27, Im assuming money isnt going to be a huge issue to startup, so I'll just say it: buy once, cry once. Stay away from cheap guns, cheap gear and cheap parts. Buy good quality stuff upfront and enjoy the playing aspect first before you get into the nitty gritties of teching. An umbrella armory gun is definitely high-end. I'd suggest bring it down a notch and get the VFC avalon model or an ICS MARS gun. Buy LBX gear and good mid-length hiking boots. Dont think you're not ready for bigger ops and go to (if you can) every game in a 100mile radius to you first then plan to attend bigger national level ops if time and money allows. Do not get into the habit of having more guns than games you go to in a month. So if you only go to 3 games a month, have two rifles and a sidearm. Hang with a team if you like what they do, how they do it. Do not join any team for the sake of, especially if they view the game with a monetization aspect.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  10. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Thanks for the advice I'm saving for the umbrella cuz I like to buy the top tiers of gear when I get into a sport so I never need to buy another well at least not for a long time the boots yeh I really need those I hurt my ankle mid run last outing n sad F it n kept running ended up team wiping in under 2minutes of match start this is referring to my last paintball match I currently own 2 guns a glock and m4 both are for cqb this umbrella is for long range how accurate are those guns you mentioned?

11. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    The umbrella will have more range and accuracy ootb.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  12. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    My goal is sniper range n accuracy but semi auto for midrange use n long if needed

13. Ten8DoWork

Ten8DoWork Active Member

Birmingham
    I used to play tournament paintball back in the day and it was a freaking blast. I got into airsoft recently for the more milsim aspect of it. Both sports have the equivalent of speedball and milsim. If I wanted to play the speedsoft/speedball I'd definitely choose paintball.

In my opinion, airsoft caters more towards the milsim crowd better not only because of the replica guns, but most quality tuned airsoft guns will out-range and be more accurate than paintball markers. In addition, during milsim events, the airsoft weapons can have varying power limits (chosen by the host) allowing specialized roles to have an advantage in certain situations.

I think an Umbrella rifle you buy is going to be badass. You will have no problem with longer range engagements. I don't think there is much that you could improve on one of those rifles.

Edit: On your last post regarding sniper rifle range and accuracy. The accuracy; the Umbrella rifle will not let you down. The range on those sniper rifles is coming from the higher FPS/heavier projectiles they are capable of firing. Cranking up FPS on the Umbrella rifle you are getting will help you get there but will probably put you in sniper rifle/marksman rifle categories at events. At that point you are definitely going to be hit with a minimum engagement distance. All of the specifics will vary depending on what event or field you attend. If you're cool with the MED, do it to it. Otherwise think twice about all of the restrictions just to get a little bit more range.

Do some looking around and hop-up mods for AEGs. I have seen some dudes getting pretty impressive range out of standard FPS rifles with some extensive hop-up work.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Topshotz357 likes this.
  14. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Yeh I was going to buy the 500fps version but at the field I'm gonna play that's got a med but the 450 version using the .25g to chrono like the field does brings me in to a 25foot med instead of 100ft and I'm thinking of undermounting my glock to cover the med areas

15. Ten8DoWork

Ten8DoWork Active Member

Birmingham
    I may be reading your response incorrectly. If so please correct me. It is not advised to use heavier BB's to make your gun shoot slower to be within field limits. Field limits are chosen with .20g BB's unless specified otherwise so that's what the rifle needs to be chronographed with. It's cheating and potentially dangerous to use heavier BB's to meet FPS limits.

Dude! Don't do that with the Glock lol. Learn your transitions. Get you a Blue Force 2 point sling on your rifle and learn the right way. :p

Topshotz357 likes this.
  16. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    The field uses .25g to chrono I'm not trying to trick the chrono and meh I guess it is cool tho this pic gave me the idea

Attached Files:

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  17. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    You might get heat from refs thinking you're shooting the rifle vs the glock

it kinda also defeats the advantage of having a pistol in tight areas. BUT the beauty of the game is you can do whatever you want. hell, i wouldnt mind seeing a undermounted glock on the field lol

BOA_SP3CT3R and Topshotz357 like this.
  18. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    I'd just inform the refs 1 is in fullauto n the other semi if their cool with it if not owell it was a cool idea

19. Ten8DoWork

Ten8DoWork Active Member

Birmingham
    Right on dude, I wasn't calling you out. Thanks for clarifying what you meant.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  20. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Your good dude ik

BOA_SP3CT3R and -Spitfire- like this.