$300 AR platform

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by BmanP1, Nov 3, 2012.

1. BmanP1

BmanP1 New Member

I'm in the market for a new gun, and I've got $300 maximum, but $250 would be ideal. I'm a huge fan of AR style guns (M4, SR25, M16, ect.) and I want a longer gun, preferably SR25 esque. I want a full metal body and an RIS. Electric only, MOSFET not necessary, accuracy and reliability are major factors. I want 400+ fps as well.

2. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
  3. IainS

IainS New Member

Bay Area
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=28702 check this one out. G&P has very nice externals, their gearboxes are pretty solid also.

Edit: Evike also carries many other M4 platform G&Ps that better fit your budget. The one above is just one to look at, you mentioned M16 and SR-25 so I thought I'd throw in a long barrel one.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. BmanP1

BmanP1 New Member

That's a beautiful gun, but it's $100 over-budget. I looked at some G&P's and haven't found exactly what I'm after. I want an AR platform DMR. I was looking into the A&K SR25, that'd give me breathing room in my budget for spare mags or maybe an optic, and still fit what I want. Any opinions on it?

5. IainS

IainS New Member

Bay Area
    I don't have any experience with the SR-25 so I can't help you there, search on the forums for "SR-25" there are many posts comparing the JG and A&K so you can decide which is better. Good luck

6. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    The A&K SR25 will be alright. It's a clone of the G&P that used a V2.5 gearbox, so that's a plus. There are a few proprietary parts (gears, piston, cylinder) but SHS makes them, in case you ever want to upgrade. V2.5s are regarded as better than a standard V2, read about it in EDI 1st's guide in the Gun Modification section. If you want an SR25, your choices are basically A&K, CA, or G&P. CAs aren't in stock anywhere anymore, I found one on an Asia site but shipping brought the price up to $400, so that's probably out of your reach. G&P is even more, around $600 and are really only in stock in Asia sites, so that's out of the question. The A&K should cost less than $200 after coupons from Evike (Evike has the lowest price and best coupon, stick with them if you're getting the A&K), leaving plenty of room for some upgrades, off the bat I'd recommend a spring change (A&K is still a China company, rarely trust their FPS ratings), and maybe a good torque motor (Element, SHS, JG, Lonex). Then tune, maybe get a new bucking (Systema, Lonex, Prometheus, Madbull, etc.) and you should have a good field rifle from there.