3D printing airsoft accessories

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by adas1223, Mar 22, 2020.

1. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    Some of you may know me, but i thought i would start a thread showcasing what i have learned and made after farting around with my 3d printer. This is just my elf taught hobby which does generate little passive income i couldnt care less for. I can also listen to new ideas and maybe make some of your ideas come to life. Here is my thingiverse if you want to browse my stuffs:

https://www.thingiverse.com/adas1223/designs

all of those are free. very few of my designs are actually sold

I do commission work too, prototyping, keychains making, logo and patch making etc if you really want something super custom and asap (ie 244mm suppresssor barrel extension, simple team logo) I can guide you through some limitations of 3d printing. Ill leave these examples of what I have made recently in the 3 years ive owned my printer.

IF you have a set of calipers, I can even help you design/make/ship your idea to you. complexity dependant of course, but i can find ways to simplify mechanics if i sleep on it.

krytac lmg replica
    dsaQGqy.jpg cyma cm045a furniture
    YjhIHSS.jpg functional Box magazine (Super hi capacity Flash magazine conversion)
    qnYZ306.jpg
    ABS light weight replicas
    jkh2xrce66j41.jpg
    protoyping magazine release
    97Pn7VD.jpg

feel free to share your prints, ideas, websites.

link0, Peeque and Richard Paoletti like this.
  2. interceptor

interceptor Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    All these look great. If I ever get a 3D printer, will have to bug you about it.

I did have a question. There is some thought that 3D printed items may have less structural integrity than those items made traditionally from a mold. Was wondering if you could comment on that.

Thanks.

adas1223 likes this.

3. adas1223

stratford
    Well this is the place to bug me!

true, common fdm printing is not as strong as mold injection. A lot of factors involved to get 3d printing close to it's strength.

Plastic type, design infill, print orientation etc

4. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    Concur with Adas. Even a no-infill ABS model would likely not be as strong as an injection mold. That said, I print and use ABS parts all the time for airsoft and they hold up just fine under less than real- combat conditions. And if it does break - print another one for $1 of filament. If you're really concerned about breaking strength, many real steel suppliers will gladly accept your money for an injection molded product.

adas1223 likes this.
  5. adas1223

stratford
    Yup

Most evident on rails and rail attachment point.. you can print horizontally, but they will never be as strong as printed vertically.

6. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    As for the strength: I accidentally broke a hole in a piece of plywood with a 3D - printed mock suppressor, and have run a 3d - printed micro stock on my Mk43 for the last year with no problems. Maybe I'm the 1 of 5 dissenting dentists surveyed.

adas1223 likes this.
  7. interceptor

Los Angeles
    Thank you both for your responses. Now it makes me wonder why people haven't made a business selling accessories that are 3D printed rather than mold injected. If 3D-printed accessories are strong enough and inexpensive to produce, why don't manufacturers make their accessories this way? It seems like you could make the product as a request came it rather than create a batch of molded products which may or may not sell.

adas1223 likes this.
  8. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Time is money...3D printing has been used in prototyping for years now but it takes too long to manufacture a large quantity of items.

Team Associated as a recent example from 2018 with a prototype buggy:
    [​IMG]

Mass production will probably always be injection molded. There are problems with injection molding however, again in the RC hobby some people boil their suspension arms before they install them to soften them up so they don't snap as easily especially in low temperatures - they claim it relieves internal stress due to the heat/cooling cycle of injection molding but I have not seen scientific proof.

adas1223 likes this.
  9. Peeque

Peeque Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    3D Printing is awesome! I have a printer myself and have printed a few things for my guns. I haven't made anything as complex as Adas has, mostly printing other people's designs. I try to recreate the more simple things but it usually doesn't look nice.

Good job, Adas!

link0 and adas1223 like this.
  10. adas1223

stratford
    they have. its big in the nerf scene to make 3d printing farms (10+ printers) and set up an etsy business.

SRU? is a 3d printing airssoft company.

Its my hobby and the time it takes to organize/design/ship/ etc is a lot of hard work if you want to make any profit (do it by yourself)

I make little $ by donations and selling stl files by email. little to time lost on my end.

11. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    3D printing is good for many parts. i have printed some custom parts for my self made shell ejecting shotgun. i might remake it as a full 3d print soon.

adas1223 likes this.
  12. adas1223

stratford
    More of my work:

APS mkII smart shells
    92be65defdd5be6e68a16500dcc7cd9c_preview_featured.jpg
    prototype VSR10 magazine assist

d2b5ca33bd970f64a6301fa75ae2eb22_preview_featured.jpg
    IMG_20180615_191943.jpg
    slim type AEG ak motor grip

MOE ak ares grip.jpg
    IMG_20181021_131108.jpg
    Custom recoil/battery stock for m4 aeg
    inside stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    IMG_20181219_131218.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20181220_162837.jpg
    IMG_20181204_192135.jpg

link0 and Peeque like this.
  13. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    link0, yrutimid and adas1223 like this.
  14. adas1223

stratford
    dam sure brotha!

15. Peeque

Lancaster
    I wanted to make something similar to that recoil/battery stock for my DSG build but it ended up being a very bulky cube so I gave up on that. Maybe I could modify yours to work. Make the buffer tube longer and put a metal tube inside so it could support the weight of a gun.

adas1223 likes this.
  16. adas1223

stratford
    some more:

customizable loadout keychains
    OGo6BNk.jpg
    EBqgKQs.jpg

Attached Files:

interceptor and Peeque like this.
  17. adas1223

stratford
    i think the file is free on thingiverse lol. i forgot. I give permission for you to remix!
    i think my permission did not allow that*

Peeque likes this.
  18. adas1223

stratford
    some other creations:

Custom zev styled muzzle brake
    5P02ZOL.jpg
    One piece optic rail (top right)
    bp8Zdhj.jpg
    KSC fill thru type bae plates
    QOGvZ4d.jpg

19. interceptor

Los Angeles
    Wow - those are some amazing 3D printed items (Love the keychains!). Wish I had the time to learn but between job and family don't have time for much else. I know the 3D printers are getting cheaper but how much are the raw materials? I know it depends on the size of the item but curious how much would it cost to make a fore grip or a suppressor, for example.

adas1223 likes this.
  20. Peeque

Lancaster
    It depends on the brand and type of filament. PLA is what most people use and typically cost ~$20/kg. There are other options such as ABS, PETG, and PLA+, but PLA is the easiest to work with. Prusament PLA is an excellent option, but cost $25/kg. HatchBox is another good brand at $20/kg.

The cost in material to print a foregrip or suppressor would depend on the filament being used and print settings. A 100% infill foregrip would use more material than one printed at 25% infill. Without knowing how it'd be printed I think it still be safe to assume < $1 in material.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    link0 and adas1223 like this.