40mm grenade PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Pyronius, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Pyronius

Pyronius New Member

Pleasant View
    I realize this might be the wrong forum but I'm really freakin out here. I just got 6 new King arms 120rd 40mm grenades for my launcher, and while (Admittedly my fault) I was messing with them a bit, I unscrewed the top off a bit too much and 1 ball bearing fell out. It's just one ball bearing and the grenade still holds gas and is functioning properly. I'm freaking out though, will it still continue to work correctly?

2. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Yes, but you may still wish to put the bearing back in, if you still have it. It's not difficult, just take it back apart, pack the bearing chambers with a little silicone grease, install the bearings back in place and screw it back together. The grease just holds the bearings in place while you reassemble the grenade. If you're not sure, look for videos on you tube, there's plenty of them.

Hope this is helpful.

3. Pyronius

Pyronius New Member

Pleasant View
    Actually I did open it up and they are a LOT simpler than I thought they were. Only like 3-4 main parts. Was a really easy fix. Thanks.

4. BoogerMc

Akron
    Glad to help. I learned the hard way, like you, I opened one of my teammate's up and found the little bearings bouncing off the floor moments later. Fortunately, I was able to fix it.

5. Pyronius

Pyronius New Member

Pleasant View
    Nice, I actually had another one of them fail to reset properly right after I fixed the first one. Did the same process and it was fixed. All you really have to do is take them apart and put them back together, fixes almost any problem with them.

6. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    If you ever lose the ball bearings they can usually be found at your local hardware store located near the nails, nuts & bolts.

7. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    Not from my experience.
    The ball bearings in the shells are metric.
    Unless you are in Canada, Asia, or Europe, odds are your local hardware store will only have SAE sizes, and from my experiences, SAE sized bearings do not allow the main valve to seat properly, causing your shells to leak.

I had to order my metric bearings online from McMaster Carr in packs of 100.

8. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

Would you mind posting the part #? I have a hard time navigating the site so I would appreciate it.

9. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    There are 2 common sizes depending on the manufacturer of the grenade.

3mm:

9292K33

and 4mm:

9292K37

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. BoogerMc

Akron
    What was your costs, these would good to have on hand?

11. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    List price plus $4.75 shipping.

Came out to under $18 shipped for 100 of each size, IIRC.

I found them quite convenient to have, especially since airsoft retailers gouge you on them:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_210&products_id=3123

(yes, that's EACH. $87/100 Vs. $8/100. 1000% markup...)

Fixed many a "broken" or "boneyard" shell and sold for profit, or just helped out a friend/teammate/local player who needed a couple.

12. BoogerMc

Akron
    Sparky, would these also be the same as those used in ball bearing equipped piston heads, etc.?

13. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    Could be, never measured piston head bearings...

14. BoogerMc

Akron
    Well, I'm in the middle of repairing a rather stubborn gearbox that has these, I'll try to take a measurement and post the results.