8mm gears?

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by EuroGirl, Dec 5, 2012.

1. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

Can anyone give me a list of guns that have a 8mm gear box in then?

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    ....Way too many to list.

3. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

Preferably in only the m4 and AK family and hopefully one with a price between 100-400

4. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Um still way too many to list, a lot if not all of G&P M4s come with 8mm gearboxes so do all combat machines.

5. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

So the affordable G&G combat machines have 8mm gear box's?

6. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Yep, so do some JG m4s, it's not that special.

7. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

Well I might have to buy a magpul/G&P m4 seems like the way to go.....wish they made it in a m16 length

8. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Changing a front end isn't the hardest thing to you, you could always do it yourself, and if you forego the magpul G&P does make m16s.

9. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Umm, you do realize there's only one reason to run an 8mm gearbox? To use Ceramic or hybrid bearings. Even then, Lonex and G&P bearings have been known to fail. I've never heard of broken Modify 8mm bearings, but it's easily possible.

IMO, bearings are not worth the risk. If you aren't going to use bearings (prefereably 7mm or 8mm ceramic or hybrid), you would be using bushings, and the size of bushings does not make any difference to performance or durability.

Basically, it doesn't matter if a gearbox is 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, or 9mm. Just put in some CNC heat-treated stainless steel Modify brand bushings and be happy.

10. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    Uh... 6mm bushings really do suck.

Eurogirl, just pick up a G&P/VFC AR of whatever length you want; don't worry too much about the bearing size, it really won't make a huge difference. Any will perform well.

11. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    6mm bearings suck... 6mm bushings are fine. Unless you can find some broken 6mm Modify's (???).

12. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

I'm talking about 8mm gear box as opposed to a 6mm gear box

13. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Unless you're going for bearings, the size of the bushing holes doesn't matter. G&P's bearings are fine for most builds, Modify's are great, others are meh. But, bushings are always good.

Unless you're talking about an 8mm bb gun, instead of a 6mm bb gun...?

14. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

I assume 8mm gear box refers to size of the gears? Idk all I know is when I had a G&P cqbr it went as far and accurate was my classic army m16spr. So I'm confused now o_O

15. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Um....No, all the gears for v2 gearboxes are the same it refers to bushing size these.
    [​IMG]

They go here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  16. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

Does this have anything to do with how far the gun shoots?

17. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Um, I'm going to say not directly.

18. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

What exactly does it do though? I'm so confused by this.

19. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    -______- Did you look at my above post, the one with 2 pictures? Showing what they are and where they go.

20. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    They provide the surface for the gears to rotate in, holding the gear shafts in place, and also help to distribute force in the gearbox. You want steel bushings, not nylon ones, as nylon ones snap/chip/etc rather easily. The gears in most gearboxes are similar, really, all that matters for a stock gun's range is the quality of the airseal (G&P and VFCs are usually pretty decent) and the quality of the hop bucking. The barrel length won't really matter for range, you can get similar range with an M4 (363 mm barrel) to what you can get with something like an M16 (509 mm barrel). Really, just choose which one you like the most, link it here, and we can help you decide if it's the right gun.