A good motor upgrade for balance

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by TallPaul, Jul 22, 2015.

1. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

Hi techs I have been upgrading my APS M4 gearbox and i got her kicking but. I noticed from having it in and out so much that the magnets are weak and its not fast at all. I dont want to throw 50 rps or anything crazy just a good balanced motor. Any suggestions? Also i dont want to go over 40 bucks

2. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Zci balance motor maybe, I think they're like 32 on brill and clandestine

3. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Get yourself a nice high torque motor like a ZCI/DA/SHS/JG Blur and low ratio gears if you don't already have 16:1's or less.

4. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

Highspeed motors are stupid, (this is from a guy who likes electronics doesnt know much about airsoft teching) higher torque will be better and you can always get high speed out of it.

Buy my UBR, 60 +shipping CONUS

5. ma_airsoft

^ this is completely true high speed motors are ****

6. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

I just have the stock gears but there metal and seam to be good quality. Im trying to keep my build under 300.00 so i only have about 80 bucks left and after a motor and 11.1 lipo that wont leave enough for new gears.

So if you had to pick one which motor would you use?

7. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

JG Blue. Really any of those will perform similarly. They are all HT neo motors and I think all 22 TPA

8. Jerichow

Jerichow Member

Lakeville
    Just installed a ZCI Torque (22TPA) motor in my friend's Matrix M4 as part of a rebuild. He's getting ~370fps and ~22rps with this setup:

Stock 18:1 Gears
    Modify Steel 8mm Bearings
    ZCI Torque motor
    NukeFet - 24a polyfuse wired in with Deans
    Turnigy NanoTech 11.1v 15c 2000Mah LiPo
    SHS M110
    Bearing Spring Guide

This setup with perfect compression is running very well in his gun, it does seem to take a few more amps to run than I'd like (fuse gets warm after spamming bursts or semi auto) but after burning through an Evike BAMF 190rd mag and a half, I only used 155mah out of the battery, so it's not too bad on efficiency I suppose. On a stock gun I'd imagine it'd be just as good or better.

9. Jay_W

Jay_W New Member

Cleveland
    with a stock ratio, I'd say a ZCI balance from brillarmory.com. they're quality motors with good amounts of torque, but not slow enough to drag down a stock ratio on full auto

10. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    You might be interested in this. Custom made 18 tpa motor I made. Message me if you are interested.

Attached Files:

11. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

I don't know enough to know if id be interested. Thats why ive been asking. I need a motor fast enough to run my stock gears and works well with lipo 11.1 mosfeted. And will give me a good balance of speed and efficiency.

12. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

Thanks, this sounds like the way to go, at least its worth checking out.

13. Jerichow

Jerichow Member

Lakeville
    They're good motors, the 22TPA is a great balance between speed/torque and on 18:1's is a very efficient motor. Mine is working great on a 30amp 11.1v lipo using a mosfet.

14. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

Ok my ZCI balanced long should be here today from brill armory. Quick question. Do I need to reshim now?

15. CrusaderAirsoft

CrusaderAirsoft Member

Winchester
    Well, it is a completely different motor, which will have a different height/pinion placement than the old one.

16. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

Yeah i was affraid of that. Dammit jim, it took me like two hours last time. Lol

17. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

Man that took forever. I put my new motor in and reshimmed my gears and did a flathop.

Shes shooting great now. Full auto is like a hose. I didnt notice a big change in trigger response. But the flathop made a big change. The guns shoting much better as far as consistancy. It has a slight left arc but thats probably just a defect in the nub. Ill try and tweek it

18. ma_airsoft

Could've just switched the pinion gears lol but a reshim never hurt anyone

19. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

AI didnt want to use the factory one with a stronger motor and spring. Plus i found out one of my wires was rubbed almost bare by the ponnion so it was well worth it. I cant wait to see how the increased accuracy of the flathop changes my game

20. CrusaderAirsoft

CrusaderAirsoft Member

Winchester
    The armature placement could still very well be different than the old one, depending on how it was shimmed.