A grenade launcher idea?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Inceptor57, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Inceptor57

Inceptor57 New Member

San Ramon
    I just have this idea on using the gas power in the M203 launchers.

Is it possible to put a live airsoft timed grenade (like tornado) at the end of the M203, pull the pin of the grenade so its primed, fire the grenade with the shell in the M203 and send it flying like a NERF football into an area?

I'm thinking about using this tactic for distance room clearing, like as an air-burst grenade weapon, does anyone think its possible to use it like this?

This is my first thread so if I got anything wrong, I'm sorry

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Having seen the tornado grenades, they will not fit into the M203 barrel, nor do I think there would be enough of a charge to expell them if they could, at least not very far.

However, if one made a potatoe gun that could lauch the tornado grenade that would be another story. It would be like a mortar, but launch the tornado, now that would be neat.

3. crossmanownsjk

crossmanownsjk New Member

Houston
    Its a good concept, but as mentioned earlier the current grenades dont have enought force to push one out.

4. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    I have a few concepts for a projectile that shoots BBs everywhere on impact, but for now those concepts stay with me and me alone. The tornado is too heavy. It would take massive amounts of pressure to get it to move.

5. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

The problem I see is not a pressure or logistical issue, it's a safety issue. Something heavy like that flying through the air where it could smack someone is not safe. There's a reason a lot of fields don't allow the Hakkotsu Mortars.

6. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    I have had an idea in the back of my mind for quite some time, that would require no modifications to existing launchers. Take a shoulder fired rocket launcher, and modify its ammunition :)
    99% of em fire those little nerf footballs with the fins, so you cut off the first half of the nose cone and replace it with the top half of a plastic soda bottle. Only after you have cut the top half to ribbons from the cap end to the base of your cut (leaving the cap ring intact for stablility. Then you tape this to the rocket as a new nose cone. Fill it with a few .12g bbs (if the front is to heavy it will fly end over end)
    When the nose hits something the momentum of the rocket behind it will crumple the front end along the cuts. causing everything inside to shoot out the now large cracks.
    boom, there you go. 100% safe "explode on impact" and resuable rocket munitions for airsoft
    Tell me what ya guys think :)

7. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Now to find a way to incorporate that into a Grenade shell for Grenade launchers that is only one piece.

8. cdi

cdi Member

For a gas/co2 powered M203 shell you will not get enough force to launch a tornado. First off the tornado will not fit. Second, tornados are heavy, and would injure someone if it was to be fired out of a barrel as a projectile.

Just use a pocket rocket. 90% of airsoft fields have rules where if a rocket is fired at you and it lands within 10-25 feet your killed to death. If you want it go bang use Milsim round shells with the active impact cap thing.

9. UsMc-alltheway

UsMc-alltheway New Member

Tampa
    Even if what your talking about magically worked then I'm sure your grenade would be a broken mess.

10. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    And I believe the grenade would get get quite screwed up.

11. Inceptor57

Inceptor57 New Member

San Ramon
    How about other types of grenades? I'm not restricted to tornados.

12. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    You know my idea (if anyone bothered to read it) would work with an M203 id think. as long as its not a shorty. Just get the smaller foam rockets.
    Use the grenade for the propellent

13. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    One has to consider that the tube of an M203 is about 40mm, give or take for variations in manufacturing. Therefore, the grenade would have to be no more than 38mm in diameter in order to be able to leave the barrel without an issue. However, I don't think any of the "hand" grenades are smaller than 40mm, although I will admit I am not familiar with EVERY one of them out there.

Still, I do not think the force of the propellant would expell the grenade very far because of the weight.

14. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I read it. Here are the problems I see
    1) Physics- the way you are describing the BBs "exploding" out in an even 360 won't work. Since it is traveling one way, the BBs will want to follow that one way. Now there are other factors that are involved as well, but that is the easiest to explain.

2) propulsion- You need a LOT of force to get something to travel over 40 ft. With the experience I have with air cannons, to get around a few hundred BBs, and their container to fly a ways (did not measure) we were dealing around 140 PSI. And using a lot of air.

3) Reusability- You can't. Simple. And once you are out, you are out.

4) safety- ever been hit on the head with a water bottle somebody as thrown? How about a full one? Yea, it hurts.

That enough?

15. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    I have made a flour and bb mixture inside of a wax shell that is be in front of a cardboard fined sabot piece. It only functions with the Co2 multi purpose shells filled above 700 PSI.

The only problem is the shell is labor intensive and takes some ingredients to make. The next time I make some I will do a tutorial about it.