A & k MK46 SAW upgrade newbie ?'s

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Sabotage-6, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Sabotage-6

Sabotage-6 New Member

Philthadelphia
    Is this a Ver 3 gear box? Can a 11.1v lipo be added without major adjustments to the internals?what is a good spring as 120-130 etc for this to be over 400 or FPS? Whats a good barrel upgrade? finally whats for dinner? lol

thanks allot for all the help.. ive googled but u rather ask y'all!!!! tnx

2. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    1) No idea
    2) No, you will need to upgrade several things like your piston, piston head, and cylinder
    3) An M120 should put you right around 400fps w/ .20s. An M130 will put you over by about 30fps.
    4) Anything by Prometheus, PDI, and Laylax. I suggest staying away from Angel Custom, Matrix, and Modify.
    5) Pork chops and mashed taters because this is IDAHO! ;)

3. Jerichow

Jerichow Member

Lakeville
    1: No, it uses the M249 Gearbox
    2: It depends... you're playing the ACM lottery with A&K, it might handle it for 100k rounds, it might break the gun before you finish the first box mag.
    3: M120 will work for getting you ~400FPS, but if you try that with the 11.1v, you WILL need to have it taken apart and tuned/rebuilt properly to handle that kind of stress.
    4: ZCI makes descent barrels, Madbull's 6.03's aren't terrible. If you have ~$75 to drop on a barrel, Prommy, PDI, and Laylax are good too.
    5: I'm thinkin' Arby's.

4. Sabotage-6

Sabotage-6 New Member

Philthadelphia
    metal bushing's and ball bearings etc??? and ill have a beef and chedda??

5. Jerichow

Jerichow Member

Lakeville
    Funny thing was... I actually DID have Arby's for dinner as it turned out...

M120 + 11.1v = Bushings. 8mm Bearings can probably handle it if you get really nice ones like Modify Ceramics, and shim them perfectly. Otherwise, 8mm bushings are your best bet.

6. Sabotage-6

Sabotage-6 New Member

Philthadelphia
    what spring comes stock in the mk46? isnt there 8mm ball bearings in the gearbox already? thanks

7. BenTheBarre

BenTheBarre Member

Spokane
    Is there is, they're probably not very good. Only bearings I would use are g&p or modify ceramics. just switch to solid bushings, theyre much more reliable and easier to shim.

Lipo info:
    In order for a gearbox to reliably run on a 11.1 lipo, I'd suggest solid bushings, perfect shim job, 3034 based MOSFET, all diy mods(aoe, shimming as said before, compression cuz why not, and deans connectors) and a 11.1 with an amperage of over 2.0 amp (2000 mah) and a 25+ c rate for maximum performance.
    Also, a shs 15 tooth piston would help with longevity.

Fps:
    If you want over 400 fps, an m120 spring and perfect compression should get you there.

Barrel:
    Go with zci if you are on a budget, madbull if you have a little more $$, and prommy or pdi if you have $$$$.
    Any size in the 6.03+-01 is a good bore.

Hope I helped
    Ben

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  8. Sabotage-6

Sabotage-6 New Member

Philthadelphia
    what size madbull barrel 6.03 and there is a **** ton of sizes after that??...also what can I get to upgrade besides opening up the gearbox? spring m120 and anthing else?? tnx guys!!!!

9. BenTheBarre

BenTheBarre Member

Spokane
    Measure your stock barrel, and get the same size. Outside the gearbox, you could flat hop your stock bucking, make an eraser nub, and shim your hopup arm, which will increase your range a lot.

10. TheInfidel23

TheInfidel23 Resident Derp Supporting Member

Greenville
    Not possible without modification to the body of the hop up.

Google a picture and take a glance. Theres no arm. The hop up is the weakest part of the airsoft M249 series, by far. On mine I had to drill out the nub port and fit a solid nub for decent results.

Good luck with that. Unless they've changed the design very recently, Saw gearbox bearings/bushings are proprietary and don't have shoulders. Aftermarket bushings that are TM spec will not fit.

Yes, but size is irreverent, considering all Saw gearboxes are the same, and to attempt to modify the shell to accept any other size, let alone Tm spec bushings/bearings would not be worth the result.