A Kansas WWII airsofter checking in.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Goslar, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Goslar

Goslar New Member

BFE south east of Wichita
    Hi fellas. I'm 32, I live in BFE southeast of Wichita. I've reenacted a bit when I was younger and I've been airsofting since '02. Some of you in the area may know me as "the kraut" from my occasional appearances at Frog Holler.

As you might expect, my forte is WWII. Not many folks around here want to shell out the bucks to join in the genre it seems, but I'm surely gonna see about changing that, hopefully. After all, there's no better way to blow one's personal wealth than airsoft. Well, except for real guns. And strippers. And booze. And strippers.

Nah, actually I havent been to a strip club since '03. I can dream though, can't I?

Since I have a bit more time on my hands now, I figured I'd take the time to hop on here and mill around a bit, maybe make some new acquaintances, maybe host even bigger games than my usual, maybe join in on some other private game happenings around the area.

So anyway, hi all! Glad to be aboard!

2. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    Nice to have a WWII junkie on here. :) everyone here is either modern, or Vietnam... I like all three. :D

Anyway, welcome!

3. soticman

soticman I like Koch Supporting Member

Welcome! Another WW2 airsofter! Awesome, be sure to read the rules and stickys. What side of the conflict do you play on?

4. Goslar

Goslar New Member

Oh crap. I just reread the rules and I'm already violating them. Specifically rule #1. If anyone finds strippers immoral, I apologize. I find them immoral also. I also found myself, quite happily, voluntarily aiding in their immorality in my younger days. Nonetheless, I'll drop strippers from further discussion. And I promise not to ever play strip poker again (bad idea). And I won't poke fun at Prince Hairy (sp) for playing stip billiards.

If anyone finds booze immoral, well, sigh...more for me then.

5. Goslar

Goslar New Member

@that guy: I like all three as well, but I have no Nam kit yet and in general I've played way too much modern over the years.

@soticman: Bad guys of course!! (No I'm not a nazi, nor condone nazi crap. I'm actually much closer to libertarian.)

I usually portray a recce sergeant from a high numbered company (truck rather than halftrack) of the 21st PD.

In German, Unterfeldwebel Goslar von dem 5./21-Aufklärungs-abteilung.

6. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
  7. Goslar

Goslar New Member

Stg-44, MP-40, a crappy D'Boys K98k that I want to throw in a lake, P-08, P-38, Mauser broom handle and a Sten.

8. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Lol if you want another K98 someone on here (levirocks I believe) is selling their Tanaka.

9. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

Lakeville
    He sold that. Thunderbo15 is selling one though.

10. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Damn... I'm behind. .

11. Goslar

Goslar New Member

Thanks for the tip, but I can't purchase anything for the next few months. I'm between jobs and money is tight. The queen won't authorize any frivolous expenditures. I will own a Tanaka someday though...

12. Goslar

Goslar New Member

I rock one of two uniforms. For hot months I don a DAK uniform, for the cooler months I wear the continental wools.

Here's a pic of the wool (late war) uniform:

Attached Files:

13. Goslar

Goslar New Member

I usually portray Afrika or Normandie or later scenarios. Anything before that requires slight differences in the uniform, plus it's generally frowned upon because the Germans were winning and no one seems to like that. ;)

With a Normady or later portrayal, I do serve history well by getting shot a lot.

14. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    Judging from your first couple posts, you'll fit in here just fine. Lmao. :)

Welcome to the boards!

15. cdi

cdi Member

Welcome! WW2 is a fun way to airsoft!

You can mate your Dboys K98 with a cheap bar10 very easily so you can have a skirmishable K98!

16. Goslar

Goslar New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, fellas!

Cdl, can you elaborate? My interest is peaked.

17. Goslar

Goslar New Member

Meant to say cdi. My apologies.

18. cdi

cdi Member

19. BullDozer

BullDozer New Member

Nice to meet ya. I want to get into ww2 reenacting/milsim but all the guns are pretty high for me. I want to have a Russian freedom fighter loadout and a 101st. Any pointers would be helpful! Welcome to the forum! I'm the newb around these parts.

Cya soon!

-Dozer

20. Goslar

Goslar New Member

Thanks for the link, cdi!!

Bulldozer, I'll tell ya there's different levels of authenticity for whatever you want to do. It costs $$$ with each impression (kit) that you want to put together. I don't know which would be cheaper between the US airborne or the Russian partisan, but my guess is the partisan impression because there wouldn't be much field equipment and clothes would mostly be civilian, rather than actual uniforms. Some things like boots you'll want to get from a reenacting vendor website but clothes you could probably find at a DAV after doing a little net research on what you want. You may want to check out Midwest Ostfront's website for some Russian tips as well.

As for the 101st, that's a no brainier. You'll probably want a wood stock Thonpson AEG rather than a M-1 Garand or M-Carbine mostly because the Thompson is more readily available, while the others are available mostly 8mm gas (say goodbye to snow games, plus most public fields have no rule incorporations for 8mm ammo) and the alternative is more cumbersome; to retro build a Garand from a store bought M-14. That's the norm, but as I said, it's cumbersome.

I havent looked in awhile but methinks a good wood stock Thompson ought to run $200 even roughly. As an example, that's what my wood stock Stg-44 ran.

As for the uniform and field equipment, here's where the price tag skyrockets, but don't get me wrong, US is by far the cheaper way to go than German, Russian (regular not partisan), Japanese, Italian or British.

As for where you want to get your stuff, it depends on how tall you are. Here is what I prefer:

At the Front: Field gear, boots, accoutrements, uniforms (for those under 6' tall).

WWII Impressions, Top Pots, plus others (you can find links to them on the At The Front Website) for uniforms if you're 6' tall and over.

Again, there are different levels of authenticy you can pursue if you want to parse out buying into WWII over a period of time.

First, you'll need a gun, helmet, minor field gear (web belt and ammo poutches and probably a canteen) and boots. Then you can make do with cheap OD green fatigues as a faux airborne uniform. When the time comes that you have more money you can get the actual uniform, the rest of the field gear and any other accoutrements you may want (helmet nets, cold weather gear, different insignia, personal items, whatever).

If you want to get all in one fell swoop, At the Front offers package deals. A complete WWII US airborne impression (minus gun) costs $649.99. The extra cold weather gear (in case you like snow games like me) costs an additional $309.99. You'll want to inquire before ordering any package relaes deals in order to have the Garand clip pouches replaced with Thompsen mag pouches.

The $650 price tag for the whole impression minus gun is very reasonable. For us Germans, it's goes over $1k very quickly. If I were you, I wouldn't waste time with parsing things out or using faux ODs. I would wait, save up my cash and splurge. The package deal will save you a bit over buying pieemeal anyway.

Good luck and feel free to hit me up with anything WWII related in the future.

On a side note, check out some of the reenactment societies out there as well as the historical links all on At the Front's website. You'll notice that what they do makes Airsoft with the little play M-4s seem like child's play, and you'll notice that they are what it would seem to airsofters, very anal about the historical accuracies of their impressions. As a reenactor myself, I can vouch that even though the anti-farb tendencies of reenacting may rub you wrong at first, running around in the actual uniforms firing the actual weapons watching the actual tanks, trucks, an jeeps roll through, is a very exhilarating experience in and of itself.

By all of this I certainly don't mean to degrade aursofting. What I would prefer to do is tap into that inner history buff in all of us and help enhance the niche within Airsoft that strives for that level of authenticity.

My favorite self-quote is "why play modern war? I've done that for a living. I carried the M-16/203 combo for a living and I think it's heavy and awkward and I think the M-16/M-4 is a piece of (ahem) work. If I'm going to play war, which I am, I'd much prefer to play something that I haven't experienced, something more fantasizable."

Hence, WWII reenacting and WWII Airsoft. Whenever I figure out how to make a muzzleloading Airsoft gun, I'll do civil war and revolution as well.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012