Adventures in Gearwhoria

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by b0mbh34d, Dec 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. b0mbh34d

b0mbh34d Member

The tea bar
    Good morrow to you all and welcome. My name's chris, my work buddies call me k-dog because I'm such an ice cold gangster (teh lulz) and I have my current username because us RAF armourers were sometimes called bomb-heads in times of yore.

I've been at this bbwarz stuff for about 9 years and have developed a real problem in terms of Cordura and NYCO hoarding over that time. I've never done impressions or re-enactment, I'm just a kit lover who very occasionally does some airsoft in an attempt to justify my spending.

I do all the social media jazz, but when I started out in this game forums were very much the place to go and I still prefer them overall. I used to have a thread like this over on a now-pretty-much-dead forum that was primarily frequented by Scottish players, so I thought I'd start a new one over here seeing as this place seems to have one of the few decently sized and active communities containing people who've got similar tastes (problems) to my own.

I've been working on my own ideas as to what constitutes the 'ideal' plate carrier for some time now and the second iteration of said idea was recently completed by a very talented individual who does custom gear work state-side. It's not been shipped to me just yet but he sent me some nice preview pictures and I reckon some folks here might enjoy them. Images are clickable to view larger versions over on Flickr.

[​IMG]

I'll save going in to all the details for when the rig is actually in my hands in another few weeks time, but I'm sure the keen eyed amongst you will figure out a lot of it.

To accompany this new rig as well as my previous custom affair in CB and FirstSpear Strandhogg (in MC) that's been adapted for Mayflower spec placards, I've also had these 5 widgets made up which again will be on their way over to me shortly.

[​IMG]

I already have a PALS panel in CB, so I'm adding PALS options in MC and RG to facilitate whatever pouches I fancy (probably TACOs to start with), as well as something sort-of new in the form of triple pouches built in the form of the D3CR mag holders to retain the MP2 inserts.

Look forward to posting more of my mis-adventures and hopefully discussing them with you good folk.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. b0mbh34d

b0mbh34d Member

The tea bar
    Not usually a big fan of Flecktarn, but I've had an old set of german standard issue trousers and smock hanging around for years that I've never worn, so when I saw these on sale it was update time. Also, since I already have combat sets in temperate DPM and US Wood this set completes my little Trifecta of 'big in the 90s' patterns. Before the likes of MC and A-TACS came along, DPM, M81 and Fleck were by far the most common patterns available in the UK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Considering these cost less than probably about a quarter of what would be involved to get the G3s, I'm pretty happy with the Leo Kohler gear overall. Few little idiosyncrasies going on, but they can all be fixed fairly easily.

3. FLUGMERKUR

FLUGMERKUR Schatten Gruppe Staff Member Moderator

Eastcoast
    Don't buy those pants, they are cheep reproductions and not worth the money. Instead look at Einsatzkampfhose (pants), and Einsatzkampfblouse's (shirt) made by either Scharrer, Wahler, or Leo Köhler. (scharrer being the highest quality, but Leo Köhler being the easiest to obtain).

If done well, a Flecktarn kit can be very cool. Here is a pic of my current setup.

Flecktarn Crye Precision shirt with Scharrer Einsatzkampfhose and flecktarn gear.
    ImageUploadedByAirsoft Society1450572401.379449.jpg

Backside of Flecktarn gear with Multicam Crye AC's.
    ImageUploadedByAirsoft Society1450572503.704127.jpg

4. b0mbh34d

b0mbh34d Member

The tea bar
    Well, I've already bought them, so it's a tad late for that.

They're not cheap repros though, as I said in the post, they are Leo Kohler. I can post the labels if you really like?

5. FLUGMERKUR

FLUGMERKUR Schatten Gruppe Staff Member Moderator

Eastcoast
    I know the shirt is Leo Köhler, but the pants look like they are the NFD version.

6. b0mbh34d

b0mbh34d Member

The tea bar
    Alright, well I can only go off the label.

[​IMG]

Either way, I wanted the G3 Kneepad compatibility and given the price difference between these and Cryes (if I could even get Cryes), these suited me personally.

7. rondeb22

rondeb22 Go To OOBI Games Supporting Member

Sunman
    I'm not a big fan of modern gear, but custom and modded gear is always of interest. I'll drop a sub

8. JubJubGSGX

JubJubGSGX New Member

Bangladesh
    How well do these fit the real crye knee pads? I have seen some crye replicas that the knee pad pockets are too small. And they ruin the pads.

9. b0mbh34d

b0mbh34d Member

The tea bar
    Pads fit perfectly, the pockets are bang on to my G3s.

10. JubJubGSGX

JubJubGSGX New Member

Bangladesh
    Also how is the sizing? I saw on asmc that they only have medium, large, and XL. What did you get and what would be the equivalent size compared to crye pants.

11. b0mbh34d

b0mbh34d Member

The tea bar
    I have mediums, seem to correlate to my 32R G3s from my initial trying-on.

12. JubJubGSGX

JubJubGSGX New Member

Bangladesh
    Can we get some action shot pictures?

13. b0mbh34d

b0mbh34d Member

The tea bar
    As in, at a game? Once I wear them to a skirmish then sure, but that could easily be a good few months from now. I'm currently serving and for various reasons that are a bit long to go in to right now I only actually play maybe ~5 times a year on average.

14. JubJubGSGX

JubJubGSGX New Member

Bangladesh
    Or even just a kit pick if you have time for it.

15. b0mbh34d

b0mbh34d Member

The tea bar
    [​IMG]

Crye'd a lot today. A small is a good fit on me in every other brand I own (Beyond, Patagonia, Arc'teryx, Propper, Plat-A-TAC, LBX, OPS etc etc), but I've not owned a CP combat shirt before today, only the trousers. Turned out the body part is just way too tight and really makes my fast-metabolism-long-gone stomach look proper bloody horrendous. Paint in the arse having to write up sale ads the minute you get something and go through that whole slog.

I'm really not sure when I'd have the chance to be honest, I've not taken any loadout shots (when not actually at a game) for years. I'm not sure what a picture would show either way to be honest, they just look like AC copies in Flecktarn (which is exactly what they are). Nothing out of the ordinary looking when worn.