Advice needed. How to make the A&K m249 box mag into a m4 box mag.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by The Lords Hand, Jan 10, 2022.

1. The Lords Hand

The Lords Hand Member

No Where
    Hello. Id like to make the a&k m249 box mag fit into normal m4 mag wells. Im wondering if anyones done this already or has ideas on how to swap the m249 magazine top with a m4.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Less effort to just by a M4 Drum/Box magazine.

Main issue is mounting point. Or are you just going to tape the box mag in place?

mr. potatohead likes this.

3. The Lords Hand

The Lords Hand Member

No Where
    Yeah I figured. I was thinking possibly brackets, with some sort of epoxy in addition, and a big velcro strap to keep it secure. It comes down to I want a pressure switch and replacable batteries in a box mag. The MAG one are like 150 dollars which seems ridiculous. The krytac box mag is 170 and has no aux port. I guess I just need to learn how to solder and I could make these additions to available m4 box/drum mags.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
  5. The Lords Hand

The Lords Hand Member

No Where
    So i just watched a short video on installing a pressure switch on a box with no aux in. He more explained then showed what he did. But basically he said he cut the jack off, stripped the wires, attached them to the bush button wire connectors. Simple as that?

6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Yep.

That the jack does...allows you to plug in a push button.

7. Adil

Adil New Member

New York
    are you just going to tape the box mag in place?

8. The Lords Hand

The Lords Hand Member

No Where
    No. So with no real idea how it would have worked out my basic plan would have been to cut the bottom off of a m4 metal mag, attach that to the box mag via brackets and epoxy. I'm unclear on how but to run the feed tube through. And lastly like I already do on my m249, I wrap a long velcro strip around the box mag and the gun. The box mag as it is falls out if bumped at all and ends up hanging by the feed tube. I also applied a layer of foam to where the mag attaches to the gun to make it more secure. Which helped a little but the velcro wrap pretty much solved the problem. Since cutting and stripping the wires and just twisting them around the buttons battery connection seems easy enough and no soldering is required(no soldering kit yet) ill try that on one of the box mags I have. Other than drilling a hole in the box to run the wire not much modding seems required.