AEG for outdoor gameplay at around $150? G&G Combat Machines?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by cmspencer109, Jun 3, 2015.

1. cmspencer109

cmspencer109 New Member

St Louis
    Hi,

I am looking for a good AEG M4 for someone. We play in outdoor field and woods environments, usually with only small groups of people. He wants it to be full metal, but I keep saying he won't find a full metal m4 for under $150. He doesn't believe me, but I tell him that a good quality polymer body with some metal parts (Gear box, buffer tube, etc.) will serve him well in the long run, and not be so heavy.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the G&G Combat Machine Raiders? I know the FPS is about 330, so will this be good for mid range outdoor gameplay? What about the hop-up, and subsequently the range? I would appreciate feedback from people with this gun.

Also please let me know if somebody has a suggestion on their M4 choice. Thanks!

2. yakantosh

yakantosh New Member

Don't buy a combat machine... they are for the most part crap internally with their saving grace being decent polymer externals. I would suggest that if he wants to get a full metal gun for under 150 that he keeps an eye on the evike epic-deals. They often put full metal m4's on sale for under 150. This gun just went on sale for 130, and will serve him much better than a combat machine. http://www.evike.com/products/54085/

3. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    Evike and Airsoft megastore have a couple Dboys full metal M4's withing his budget. They also have several more Dboys and JG ABS/polymer M4's as well.

Simply put: the CM line of guns is not recommended.
    For it's price point and the competition it has at that price point it simply falls short. While the CM line has a field-friendly FPS and a really nice polymer body, the internals just do not hold up as well as other China clones (JG, Dboys, CYMA) and they all fail fairy quickly compared to the other options at the price point.

You don't have to do much searching to find a million threads detailing why the CM line is not recommended. Look up "Combat Machine airsoft forum" or something similar in your search engine of choice to find what I am talking about.

4. cmspencer109

cmspencer109 New Member

St Louis
    From what I've found there seems to be a lot of people out there who either love or hate it. But anyway I think I will forget G&G as I came across this gun:

http://www.evike.com/products/28047/

It is a DBOYS full metal M4 currently on sale for $140. Does anybody have anything to say about this gun? It seems to good to be true to have a full metal m4 for that price, and a 370-400FPS range.

5. CrusaderAirsoft

CrusaderAirsoft Member

Winchester
    The Dboys M4 is a great choice. The metal receiver is pot metal, but it should last just fine. Expect stock ACM performance.

6. cmspencer109

cmspencer109 New Member

St Louis
  7. cmspencer109

cmspencer109 New Member

St Louis
    Thank you for the link, Raven1st.

Just a thought I had about the DBOYS M4 I linked to in my post above. Is the front "A" sight removable? I just want to make sure so I can plop a scope or red dot sight on there.

8. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    Most front sights are just pinned or screwed in place so you can easily remove them if you want to.

Most raised red dot sights should give you a 50/50 or 60/40 co-witness (amount of vertical space the front sight takes up) so it is not really needed to remove the front sight.

9. macus1305

macus1305 New Member

boonies of Massachusetts
    g&g is is a good starter gun for the money Imo but like the others say the internals will need upgrades If u want more out of it. The gears are very brittle motor is weak, hop up is nice though. Other than the light body as a plus u will want more from fps and rof. Like any entry level gun. I currently run a gr15 but the only thing that is stock is the spring.

10. AirsoftRyan778

AirsoftRyan778 Active Member

Baltimore
    Also JG and Cuna are good

11. cmspencer109

cmspencer109 New Member

St Louis
    What about this gun? http://www.evike.com/products/37492/

It is an Echo1 ST6 M4, and with Evike's 20% discount I could get it for $156. It comes with a for grip, rail covers, and a stock battery and charge which makes it convenient for an out of the box ready to play AEG.

I found out about this gun through this video from Jet Desert Fox: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNXoBNMiqR8[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  12. AirsoftRyan778

Baltimore
    Echo 1 should be avoided, they are 90% rebrands (guns that another company made and echo1 copied and charges more for)

13. AirsoftRyan778

Baltimore
    Dboys, Cyma, and JG are the best for a solid starter gun

14. macus1305

macus1305 New Member

boonies of Massachusetts
    For the price point u will probably need more money. I spent 200 for a long g&g gr15 and still had to spend another 100 in parts to make it useable at my local outdoor arena.(6.03 tbb, motor, bucking, a good optic) There was too many variables that made it difficult to play. Wind, vegetation, lighting etc..... stock the gun was great for cqb. Like any hobby it eats money. Could be worse, cars are extremely expensive to upgrade and are less forgiving.

15. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    Which is why it was said not to go with G&G.

A JG M4 Enhanced with a plastic body can be had around $150 and it will just need its barrel cleaned , bucking replaced, and its innards regreased and reshimmed. That's about $10 worth of parts for accuracy out to around 150 feet, more if you're handy enough to do a flat hop ,which just takes slight skill with a knife.

For metal, though, Dboys and Cyma both have metal M4s in the price range. The Dboys can be found most places, the Cymas are on Airsoft Megastore and Evike with colt trademarks on them.

16. macus1305

macus1305 New Member

boonies of Massachusetts
    Case and point. If I could go back I probably would have gotten a different brand. The plastic body w/metal rails is nice but the internals are so so. The gear box case is nowhere near the quality of my KA. That's my biggest regret, it was my first aeg.

17. Iram

Iram Member

Austin
    The Combat Machine series is probably a bad way to go. The externals are fairly nice, and accuracy is surprisingly good, but the motor is horribly slow.

I've had times with my CM16 where I'll pop out from cover, pull the trigger, and be back behind cover before the motor spins far enough to fire.

I believe the "Genesis" series from Echo1 is JG, and the "Platinum" series is VFC.

18. GunJack

GunJack Tiocfaidh ar la Supporting Member

Evil Volcano Lair
    Here's my same two cents:

I gotta go with a JG AR platform. Endless external possibilities with 100% TM spec V2 gearboxes built to last the noobiest of beatdowns. Of course, getting mods like AoE correction, better shimming and regreasing will extend the longevity of your gun.

I had a JG SR-16, bone stock for 2 years, and have no doubt that it'd still be going strong after over 35k rounds. I currently have a JG S-System with a few mods done and I can confidently say that it will most likely live through another year or two of hard skirmishing and trigger mashing.

With your first AEG come your first battery. A smart charger is almost required for batteries. I do not recommend the use of a trickle charger unless you know the time formula and have a few hours to kill. Also, many players, myself included, will recommend the use of a 7.4v lipo in place of the stock battery. Stock batteries aren't really known for use outside of backups, and a 7.4v will give about the same performance as a 9.6v ROF wise, and is much more compact. You'll need a balance charger for the lipo, though. Nobody likes chemical fires.

The DBoys you linked will work fine for your needs, but still get a smart charger with it. I've never used a Combat Machine myself, but from what I understand, they'll generally have better externals and on/slightly sub-par internals with other companies in the Combat Machine's price range, like DBoys, A&K, JG, ASG, APS, Lancer Tactical, CYMA and Well. In fact, from these brands, I'd stick close to JG, CYMA, DBoys, and A&K. The rest are kinda crap or haven't established a good record yet. Echo 1 is also a good choice since they're pretty much good brands shoved into more expensive bodies. Good deals can be found on them as well.

On the flip side of buying new, looking in the classifieds here or on the cancerfields on Facebook to snag a good deal is also a very good route. I won't go into details of buying, avoiding scams and the like, but it's good to watch for. You can snag some good deals on better-than-mid-level brands like VFC, Tokyo Marui, Elite Force, ICS, King Arms, etc. Tokyo Maruis will be your best find should you come across one.

Source: Been budgetsofting for 4 years.

19. macus1305

macus1305 New Member

boonies of Massachusetts
    X2 on that. If ur lucky ull snag a deal of a lifetime. I paid 100 bucks for my fighting cat. It was on evike for 300. All it needed was a o ring and some grease.:eek: