Featured AEG Upgrade Issues

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Cam8437583479680534, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Cam8437583479680534

Cam8437583479680534 New Member

Durham
    i bought a Valken ASL+ Kilo .45 a couple moths ago and really enjoyed the gun, the only issue with it is that it shot barley over 300 fps. My field allows 400fps max so i thought id upgrade some internals. I bought an AIM high prreformace/high torx motor and a m125 and m140 matrix spring, I installed motor and m140 spring and after adjusting motor height it ran well, i put at least 500 bb's through it and worked and shot flawlessly. Well the next day i took it to a field and went to chrono and it didnt work, I could hear the motor trying to turn the gears and the gears moved a little bit but the gun never fired, i would take it to my local shop but i dont want to pay more in repair cost than the gun itself, any reccomendations as to what could be wrong or what i would need to fix the aeg would be great, really dont want to buy new gun,.

2. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

A m140 in a stock gun is pretty overwhelming.

The sound it makes will tell you what is wrong. I could start guessing but if you could post a video that would probably help diagnose the issue immediately. From what you say, I'd say it's just a weak battery that needs a charge. But that's a guess in the dark.

Also that spring if labeled correctly would give you about 460 feet per second. The m125 would have been closer to the 400fps goal. If it was your battery struggling then that m125 would probably run fine.

wetpee and Cam8437583479680534 like this.

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    To much spring and a weak battery.

Don't be surprised if other parts go with a spring that strong.

Cam8437583479680534 likes this.
  4. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    I see a lot of players doing this. Dropping a heavier spring in their gearbox without upgrading any other part.

You did upgrade the motor though, and that's a step in the right direction. Try replacing the M140 with the M125 and see what happens. If you continue with the 140 expect your gears to start shaving within 20k rounds, depending on shimming.

5. Ben3721

I mean a m120 in a stock gun isn't asking for too much. But the spring he put in was way too much.

If for some reason it takes a m140 to get 400fps with .20 bbs then something else capping the fps. Likely an air leak.

wetpee likes this.
  6. juango.mv

juango.mv New Member

indianapolis
    Turning hop-up too high makes the bb's drop immediately after leaving barrel?

7. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    It can, but depending on your setup it will probably stop them from leaving the barrel entirely.

8. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    This first part is for juango.mv
    Was that a question? Cause no it will not. Not unless your hopup arm is coming down so far that it acts as a wall which cause the bb to lose all its momentum.

This is for cam.
    If I were you, throw in that m125 spring and check to make sure your hopup chamber is pushed against your gearbox to ensure that your nozzle is being pushed against the bb. That is a major fps loss for a lot of guns. It is a super easy fix. Just check to make sure that your barrel has an oring in front of the hopup unit. If not, just go to the hardware store and bring your inner barrel. Then test a few orings on the barrel to see which fits the best. Remember, this oring is just supposed to act as a spacer to push your hopup unit against your gearbox. Once you have that down, gear everything out of your gearbox except the following compression parts: cylinder head, cylinder, and nozzle on the tappet plate. Make sure your spring is on the tappet plate and hooked to it's post as you need the nozzle pushed forward for the test. Then put your gearbox into the lower receiver and install the rear pin and the trigger pin. Then slide the upper receiver with the inner barrel and hopup unit onto the lower receiver. Take a flash light and look to see if your nozzle is touching your hopup packing. It may be hard as you can't always see the packing lips but do your best. It is vital to your airseal that your nozzle is making contact with the packing, as this ensure that all the air pressure is applied directly onto the bb. If you do not see the nozzle pushed against the packing (it should just enter the packing or at least be kissed against it) then try pushing your hopup unit towards your gearbox. Though it generally is, one oring may not have been enough to push the hopup unit against the gearbox. Now with hopup pushed against the gearbox, take a look again. If the nozzle still is not making contact with the packing, then you will need a longer nozzle. Buying a new nozzle is not hard but if you go to long, you will have trouble feeding. Generally, only go .2 - .4 mm at a time. This is where a lot of extra techs like adjustable nozzle as they can play with the length to tune their gun exactly how they like it.

Sorry to throw all this info at you at once. I know it is a lot but I figured if this is the problem, you need to have the process laid out in front of you. And if it isn't, then I hope some other new airsofters will come along and find this info helpful, or I just wasted 15min of my life!:D If my process for checking nozzle length is wrong in any way or if my info is false by any means, please correct me guys as I love constructive criticism. I am always striving to better my teching skills.

Don't give up and happy teching!:)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    juango.mv, Ben3721 and OutlawAirsoft like this.
  9. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    I have had my hopup set so high that the BB came out at maybe 100 FPS and dropped 50 feet from the muzzle. I think the nub was so much in the way that it acted as a wall, and while the BB was able to force through, it lost a lot of energy and fell quickly.

I've also seen it where the BB doesn't come out at all. It just stops at the nub. And of course this is really hard on the various hopup parts.

Squad144 likes this.
  10. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    If this is a problem for you, I need to know if this is happening only with the hop turned all the way on or all the time. If it is happening all the time then you may want to double check your tappet plate as it may be broken. This happens to me shortly after I got my first AEG when I was a little guy, probably 12. Unfortunately, I was unaware of how to tech back then and we ended up paying close to $50 in labor and another $15 for a guarder tappet just because we had no clue how an aeg worked! But you know what, I still have never broken that tappet plate. Moral of the story, never buy a Classic Army Sportline as a first gun. Never.

OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  11. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    I broke a tappet plate on my first gun too! And long story short, that is what got me into teching.

Squad144 likes this.
  12. Ben3721

Teching is literally attention to detail and accepting that nothing is made to a standard then working with what you have infront of you.

The more attention you pay to everything the less time you'll spend troubleshooting afterwords.

I've broken some shs tappets in certain guns with certain cylinder head combos. Not just one part to blame tho.

13. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    ^ That is currently the Gospel. People just don't realize that those who sell in this industry abide by no standard and it's buyer beware.

Price used to be a good guideline on the quality of the item, but with the distributors jumping in and selling low grade products at an inflated price and margins rolling in at 76% with new people come into the sport paying this day in and day out...standards...who needs standards.

14. juango.mv

juango.mv New Member

indianapolis
    thank you for the answer i really apreciate your time

Squad144 likes this.
  15. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    True, but teching is more then just paying attention. You need tools and experience is nice, especially in which brands go together and keeping track of TM compatible products.

It is a shame you have to do that though, if it was like most other industries compatibility would be a given.