AEP Teching - Calling All AEP Techs!

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by I_N_J, Mar 19, 2014.

1. I_N_J

I_N_J Active Member

It has come to my attention that there are very few AEP techs. This makes it very hard for new AEP techs, like myself, to find information. This thread is for all AEP techs to share information and ask questions. Together, we can build a stronger AEP community.

My first question. Expect many.

I just got a JG skorpion. Upon taking the receivers apart, this piece fell out. Can anyone tell me what it is and maybe where it goes? The dime is in there for scale.

Attached Files:

-Christopher- likes this.
  2. CollinC

CollinC Active Member

East of Atlanta
    Subscribing, because I'm gonna start screwing with my G18c when I have moneys.

The manual should have an exploded diagram.

3. I_N_J

I_N_J Active Member

That would help... if I had the manual... :(

4. PRO_ficient

PRO_ficient New Member

Baltimore
    Obviously the piece goes into that part of the gun near the gearbox with that other piece and is held into that place by another piece. Just kidding im just dropping a subump!!!!!

5. CollinC

CollinC Active Member

East of Atlanta
    Airsplat may have the manual on PDF. Look around the interwebs.

6. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

7. Jakester88

Jakester88 Active Member

Hartland
    I remember that piece. Vaguely, but I think it has something to do with the selector/trigger area, near the grip. I'll check mine when I get home today.

8. I_N_J

I_N_J Active Member

Thankyou! I'll look at that when I get home. The link doesn't want to work now. :(
    It fell out when I took the recievers apart. I really don't know where it came from. If I did, I wouldn't be having this problem.

A couple more problems I'm having are

-feeding. It doesn't feed. I've checked and the mag works fine. The nozzle moves fine.

-Safety and semi auto. The selector plate moves upwards and doesn't push down that little safety button thing enough, so the gun stays on safety no matter where the selector is. When I took the safety out to test fire it, semi auto fired as full auto.

What could cause those issues?

edit: If that comes from the trigger area, might it be the reason for the semi and safety problems?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  9. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    That part looks like the interface between the selector lever and the trigger.

It's been a while since I opened my Scorpions/

IIRC, the lever contacts the top post of the part as referenced by your picture.

I need to do a rebuild on one of my gearboxes and do a LiPo conversion. Maybe I'll do a tutorial thread while I'm at it...

10. Jakester88

Jakester88 Active Member

Hartland
    Speaking of which, I installed a Mosfet in mine the other day. Silly me didn't have any smaller plugs to put between the motor connectors and mosfet unit, so I ended up using 2 pairs of Xt-60's, but it works fine. Besides that, AoE will be corrected, gun has been shimmed, barrel has been polished, R hop has been added, airseal was improved with a larger O ring for PH and teflon tape for CH, and other than that, I just need to do a bit of modification to the inside of thr grip to get batteries to fit.
    I can post pictures of the various components if needed

11. I_N_J

I_N_J Active Member

The part is between the selector lever and trigger? That probably has a lot to do with my trigger problems then. I'll try to figure it out when I get home. Any chance someone could take pictures for me?

edit: I've heard a lot about being able to use losi 370 motor cans. Does anybody know if either of the losi insane or frenzy motors have neo magnets?

12. PRO_ficient

PRO_ficient New Member

Baltimore
    OMG you put an rhop in your AEP!?! Really, what kind of range do you get?:D

13. Jakester88

Jakester88 Active Member

Hartland
    I'll take some pics later tonight

As for the motors, my understanding is that the cans will work in aep's, thr frenzy has ferrite, and the Insane has neo magnets. Thing is, the Aep armature is longer than thr stock one, so you would have to play legos with your motors haha

Unfortunately the gun is sitting disassembled on my work bench... next to my G36.... and my Aug... and my M9...
    Between track, work, and school/ homework, etc. I haven't had any time to even shim my Dsg let alone tune an entire gearbox and assemble the gun. Will keep you guys updated on it though.

14. CollinC

CollinC Active Member

East of Atlanta
    I didn't think a R-Hop would be possible as they have their own special barrel/buckings.

15. Jakester88

Jakester88 Active Member

Hartland
    Hehe it's an Aeg cut barrel, making patch installation easy as pie. As for the bucking, all that needs to be done is have it flipped inside out and sanded down just like a normal flat hop. Added a small bit of sorbothane for a nub, but not as much as usual.

16. I_N_J

I_N_J Active Member

Well I've looked around a bit and I don't think I'll need to do any motor work. I want to get this gun shooting at at least 20 rps, preferably 25. While looking at the guide for putting a mosfet and lipo in skorpions, I saw that the guy said his is now shooting at 21 rps. If I add in bearings, take away some more resistance (he had two pairs of connectors), and shim, I should be able to bring the ROF up a bit from that. Now if only I had the money to do the lipo/mosfet mod...

I'm about to start working on my skorpion again. I love how this thing feels soooo much, now if only I could get it to shoot...

edit: I figured out why semi auto doesn't work. There's some piece that's supposed to be between the cut off lever of the gearbox and the cut-off lever of the trigger mechanism. Does anybody know what I"m talking about? If so, can you help?

edit 2: Look on page 14. Piece R-16 is the one I'm missing.
    http://www.greekairsoft.gr/manuals/...ELL+Scorpion+R2+Manual.pdf&scrlybrkr=36589e37

17. I_N_J

I_N_J Active Member

Any chance I could get those pictures? I hate to ask like this, but I'm hoping to use this gun at a game on Monday.

18. I_N_J

I_N_J Active Member

Two more questions today:

1. How strong are AEP gearbox shells? Do they crack often?

2. Is it good to radius an AEP gearbox shell? I know that on AEGs it helps a lot, but these gearboxes seem to not have much material on the front. Would it do more harm than good?

19. CollinC

CollinC Active Member

East of Atlanta
    I've done quite a bit of AEP research, and the only way they seem to crack is if it's a MP7 or it shoots 300 FPS.

I don't think it'd be bad to radius it.

20. I_N_J

I_N_J Active Member

Don't skorpions use the same gearboxes as MP7s?