Aftermath Ak-47 Trigger Problems

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Johnhillbilly, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Johnhillbilly

Johnhillbilly New Member

Chehalis
    I was given an Aftermath ak-47, one of the more solid builds, to look at. The original problem was that it wouldnt fire at all. I disassembled the trigger box, and discovered the trigger contacts were separated when the trigger was pulled. I fixed that problem, but even after reassembling the trigger box multiple times, and carefully checking to make sure everything is in place, the gun fires, but the trigger response is horrid, the rate of fire is strained, the accuracy and distance are a joke..my own thoughts were air seal problems. Or the tappet plate and air nozzle. But whatever the case, I have run into this multiple times, with multiple guns. Any idea as to what the problem is, and how to remedy it?

2. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Did you wipe out any of the grease from the gearbox? Maybe shims? Did you make sure you set the hop-up correctly?

3. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    wipe the contacts there might be grease on them (happened to me before)

Then you need to clean out your GB, wipe your gears clean, then re-shim them completely. Re-apply good lube/grease. Then take them out and diagnose where you are getting the air leaks (if any).

Once that is all done, just put the gears, trigger assembly and motor in. Pull the trigger and see how it sounds, you'll hear any problems or if theres any struggles. Once you know thats all sweet, check the air nozzle when it contacts the bucking inside the hop unit. Check it aligns all good and clean out the barrel.

SHOULD be good after that.

4. Johnhillbilly

Johnhillbilly New Member

Chehalis
    So an update on my progress...I have relubed, cleaned, SCRUBBED, and babied this gearbox. After I just reassembled, same problem. It is struggling, no matter what battery I use, or where I adjust the motor to. I'm lost as of now.
    EDIT: the hop up and nub and bucking and everything is in place correctly.

5. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Hmmm. Any carbon build up on the trigger contacts?

No snags in the wiring? How's does the motor turn when it's not attached to the gearbox.

Motor could be the problem itself if all else is not working

6. Johnhillbilly

Johnhillbilly New Member

Chehalis
    Possibly, but it doesn't seem liekly that the motor would randomly crap out directly after a routine GB inspection. I'm going to try substituting the gears, replace the airseal parts, and shim everything again. Might as well get rid of some of the stock parts.

7. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    True true. I've had many gun not even work out of the box lol. Wires pinched on the bottom even with the so called "quality control" sticker haha.

Better to be safe then sorry though :)

8. Johnhillbilly

Johnhillbilly New Member

Chehalis
    Absolutely! Thank you all for your help :) I payed extra attention to all of the details you pointed out, and the GB is functioning just like before now :)