Airsoft Arena Idea

Discussion in 'Maryland Airsoft Forum' started by Psymon, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    I like Indoor airsoft, but honestly a decent place to play is hard to find in Maryland.. Theres a place in Rockville, which is an hour away but it really looks like its too small. I live near an OLD bowling alley, that's for sale.

My question is, How many people in Maryland would travel to Pasadena, MD to play airsoft, and what is a reasonable price for 4hrs / 8hrs of play at a nice airsoft arena. I would imagine an facility like this would cost $5000 a month to keep the lights on and doors open. I hardly see that I could bring in enough to justify this as a business idea. Perhaps if the ProShop was profitable, but I think I'm starting to understand why there are not many of these around.

Anyone care to chime in?

2. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    What part of Maryland are you from I'm from Salisbury

3. Speartron

Speartron New Member

Waldorf
    I like in SOMD and I think not many of these can make if, yet they can in lots of other places purely due to location. We live in a boring, boring state (unless we talk about ocean city and Chesapeake city...) where airsoft is not big. Paintball can barely survive and some paintball fields have had to shut down because its hard times and its not big around here. The only paintball field in Charles (where I'm located) is going to apparently start doing outdoor airsoft, which will be nice if they do.
    A place like you described could not stay open (unless its like in Rockville, in the middle of everything and not far from DC) because it would be airsoft only, while if you could go and do an outdoor paintball AND airsoft field, playing to both markets, it could survive. Emphasis on could. I would personally attend even though itd be like an hour away because it would be the only under 4 hours away....
    A shop, (even better if you could set it up online also) would help it do good. Mark up em prices for being the only one near also. Hehe
    I think the average pricing would be about 15 per person per day. The best time i assume for it to be open would be from Wed to Sun. 10am to 6 pm (I think 10 to 10 would play over good on saturday IMO also....) it would be open for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. 40 hours open a week. Now for rentals. You could charge from 15-20 for rentals and extra if they blow there bbs. (60%, but lets use) 3/4ths you could assume will need to rent. So 1/4th pay 15. 3/4 pay 30. Itll cost 5k a month you think so general math gives us you need 125 rentals a month and 80 or so people who play airsoft and dont rent. Your only open 20 days a month so thats... 15 people a day? I may be off....but this math doesnt matter actually.
    Now maybe my maths off, but thats obtainable. Wait... I think it is...No actually its not. Now lets calculate in more detail which will outline your success rate. So first off we can assume that you want profit. Thats obvious. Lets idk.... Put you at 80k dollar yearly profit (which is not enough for the trouble IMO)
    That makes it so you need another 6.5 thousand a month on top of the 5k. 11.5k must be made. Now lets add another 500 for any recreational taxes and who knows... Another 1k for any more fees/taxes. So now were to 13k a month. Well now lets assume you need workers. Lets say you pay young people 8 an hour to walk around and to manage desks. 1 on desk and 3 to watch and be refs at a time. Hm. So now were talking you gotta pay 4 people a week. 40 hour weeks (5.5 a day equiv...). With taxes and such lets assume you pay each 2k a month. 6 k extra a month now brings us to 19k. Woah. ._. So lets see how many people for a 19k a month minimum.
    500 rentals and 300 non rentals we could assume (making up for any off variables.
    Your open 20 days a month, you now need about 40 people a day of all types. 40 a day is a different story...
    But one could assume some nice $$ could be made by selling guns there and marking up the price high so it may be reachable...
    I think its obtainable but it would be hard. Also 5k seems off unless the commercial mortgage and land fees are payed (if you guys have them).
    By anyways... Yeah.
    Now lets find out start up costs. Restoration, computers, and gun time...
    Lets just pay 1k safety standards and inspections and any other fees.
    Computers and that kind of record equipment could run you 1k used.
    Guns- lets just assume you buy 50 galaxy mp5s and Cyma AK's. 25 AKs for $80 wholesale price, 2k on them guns. Galaxy AK wholesale price for about $60, 1.5k on these.
    Lets also assume you start up with 500 bucks worth of bad bbs.
    So 1 on fees and such, 1 on equipment, 3.5k on guns, and 500 on bbs.
    6k start up fee along with buying or renting the building, excluding taxes and the other things I cannot remember.
    Hm.
    IMO you have a 70% success rate but don't give up
    -----
    Business Management FTW xD

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  4. Itsahak

Itsahak Member

I'm not in Maryland, but I do own a business here in VA. I think your looking too low for payments. My building is 5k square feet, and I pay right around 3 grand per month. And that is an incredible price for that! I imagine a former bowling alley is much larger than that. Try checking with the City/County Registrar and some local retail rental agencies to see what the going rate is for you area. That will give you a good place to start...

5. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    I know there's a couple buildings around Salisbury university here that are for sale/rent for cheapp. there's also alotta undesired land for sale as well. I would love to do this but the demand isn't strong enough :/

6. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    Yeah. It would be nice but the sport can't sustain a location here. I don't want to work to break even.

7. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    I know a lot of students that need a lot of community service hours lol

8. sinbadd1215

sinbadd1215 New Member

Maybe O'Malley Da Govener will give us a grant.LOL :p... I wish I had a 100K id get a old werehouse and build from there.

9. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    It's quite possible we could get a grant from gov maybe city or county not state because they generally ignore the eastern shore.

10. TalbotMilitia

TalbotMilitia New Member

Trappe
    Not only ignore, they hate us. Back in the 80s they called us the s***house of Maryland.

Delmarva secession FTW!

11. OzoneSPAS

OzoneSPAS New Member

Millersville
    If you are looking into getting a partner to go into the course with you, I know a small business owner who may like to go in on it with you. He had a plan to open a indoor field in Severna Park at an abandon warehouse but it failed for some reason. But he runs a small business about 5 miles from my house called Replay Sports Consignments. The phone number is (410) 793 5050. I could get you his email in a few days. If your interested private message me and I will try to help you out.

12. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    I would love to do it, but I also know that this area cannot support the sport right now.. It would cost somewhere in the neighborhood for 3000/Month to keep the doors open, and I doubt that we could pull in half that in arena admissions here.

13. OzoneSPAS

OzoneSPAS New Member

Millersville
    That is a good point. If you could find a way to introduce more players into the sport

14. CQB

CQB New Member

TAA in Rockville does it. That charge 20 for admission and 20 for rentals. If your only going to do admission like TAA, 20 x amount of players per day x 2 (assuming your open Saturday and Sunday and get the same amount of people both days) x 4 (Weeks per month). TAA has at lest 20 people every day on the weekends, sometimes in the upper 20s. 20x20x2x4=3,200. 200 extra. That's optimist of course but if you can get a few people (3-5) people to operate it with you, if you do poorly one week the fall is evenly broken up meaning no major problems for you? Are you trying to make money off this or just for the sport?

Edit: TAA is kinda small but very fun. I mean very fun. It seems like it wouldn't work well but it works pretty well somehow. Everything is set up perfectly and they change the layout every season.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  15. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    Never been.. My gun fire too hot.. I'm not downgrading to play in a tiny little CQB.. Maybe if I gotta MP7 as my secondary I'd go.. but a 417 is too big for CQB.

16. CQB

CQB New Member

I would go on a Friday for 15 admission then 15 for rental just to try it out. Or just buy a cheap 15 dollar replacement spring for TAA and just switch it out before you go.

17. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    Well my guns huge. It's a lot bigger then an m4.

18. SpikeUSMC

SpikeUSMC New Member

Millsboro
    I have a H&K 417 as well, and it fires really hot, its not even field usable at the moment, I am in the process of swapping the stock m130 with a m120 to bring the stock fps down a hair below 420 so I can go to fields like Balahak and OXCC.

19. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    But he's perfectly okay with shooting us with it
    -_-

20. SpikeUSMC

SpikeUSMC New Member

Millsboro
    Blah blah blah, you joined the team, you signed the waiver, quit *****in...lol