Airsoft Equipment What to Buy

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Detroit
    So, you've saved up some cash and have been looking to buy a new gun, some extra gear, or something of the sort. Well, this may sound stupid, but I'll help you on your quest to buy the right gear for yourself.

The first step is to figure out your budget. You may have anywhere from $100 to $500, but it'll all go to waste if you don't know how to manage it. If you're getting a gun, then you typically need at least $100-$120 for a low-end AEG/GBB rifle. You usually want to spend the majority (60%-75%) of your budget on your gun, and then the rest can be spent on accessories, such as a battery, gas, a charger, etc. So if you have $250, spend about $150 or so on your gun. TIP: Add what you need to cart first, and then look around for similar products that are cheaper and try to level off to your budget. If you can't get what you want, try to sell something, ask your parents for some extra cash, or if you have a job, wait until your next paycheck.

Trust me, it'll be worth it. Buy your gear based on what you are planning to do. If you're gonna play in your backyard, buy a cheap springer and use that, because spending $600 on a uber-fancy Polarstar just to play in your yard would be pretty pointless. So, on with the "what you need" part, depending on what position and field type you're planning to play on, you have to get the gear to fit that preference.
    What you want to look for in a (Below) weapon:

CQB
    - Stubby size or short length
    - Decent barrel length
    - Good fire rate
    - Grouping of maybe 12in. at 100ft.

Frontman/Field
    - Longer barrel for better range
    - Small grouping at around 100ft.

Sniper/Overwatch

- Spring action (a gas/electric sniper is kinda useless IMHO)
    - LONG barrel
    - Good camo/color
    - Other things: buy a leaf-mesh covering for your gun if you want, and get camo gear for yourself to complete the loadout

Heavy-Weapons-Guy/Support
    - Semi-accurate LMG or modded assault rifle
    - Lots of ammo (support positions are made for suppressive fire)
    - This may sound dumb, but it may actually be beneficial to have some spread at around 75ft., mostly for the suppressive effect

Other things: buy a chest rig, some extra mags, and a cheap shotgun (if you can afford it) as a sidearm

Sidearms

When buying a sidearm, make sure it is super-durable! Pistols are usually snapped out of a holster or pocket, and that simple action may damage the slide or scratch up the body of the gun.

WE (the brand)... Their guns are relatively good, but they sometimes can have some really bad nozzles and break on the first shot. Check reviews and possibly other brands. Don't avoid WE altogether though.

Of course, you can buy whatever you want no matter what position you're planning to play, but these are just some suggestions on what to look for.

Obviously, always make sure the gun is made of durable materials and not some cheap pot metal or dollar-store plastics.

Buying Tips:

Only buy from reputable stores (online). I personally have had good experiences with Evike, but AirsoftGI is great, and AirSplat is pretty decent. If you see another good-looking site, Google the the name of the place and check around for customer reviews.

Check Around! If you find something that you like, check other places to see if they have a better price, or maybe a superior gun for the same amount of cash. Sometimes, there may be "daily deals" on certain items that could be something that you were looking for.

Coupons, Coupons, Coupons! Most airsoft websites I've been to have a coupon page on it. If not, Google the name of the site and the word "coupons" ie. Evike coupon codes. You may find a sweet 20% off deal.

View attachment 134610

Always Check Reviews. That item you're looking at may seem awesome, but if you haven't used it or handled it in person, you may be paying for a SCHWEET-looking gun with a plastic gearbox. I personally usually spend an hour looking on YouTube, Googling, and just simply checking around for reviews, since I want to get the most for my money.

Buy in bulk if you need to, sometimes you can save about 10% rather than buying 1 by 1.

Hopefully, if you got all the way down here, just follow these steps, and you'll have a (maybe) great airsoft shopping experience.

Well, thanks for reading this whole thing if you did, have a good day!

(This article is the first of a trio of semi-short articles I'll be writing for this website)

-ibob4tacoz

2. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I take some issue with some of your points here. First off, gas sniper rifles are far from useless. If properly upgraded and tuned a gas sniper rifle can be amazing in combat. Secondly, I take issue with your side arms section. First, pulling a sidearm out of a holster will not damage the slide unless you either pull really hard or have a really crappy gun. Second, why mention WE if you're not going to mention other brands? If you're writing a guide it needs balance. Thirdly, I would definitely advise people to avoid WE altogether for their sidearms. For essentially the same money you can have far better, that will actually last, and that is 100% compatible with upgrades. Finally, your buying tips. While I agree that you should only buy from trusted retailers, why put online next to it? There are tons of reputable brick and mortar airsoft stores out there. Also, reviews of guns on the retail sites are far from crucial. If anything they should be ignored completely. Retailers will censor the reviews, and many reviews are written by 12 year olds with little to no knowledge about the sport or the guns, or by people who have only had the gun for a very short time, such as those that just had the gun dropped off at their door that day so they went to write a review. Forums are far better places to look and ask questions about people's opinions on the gun you're considering.

3. TheLost

TheLost Conductor of the Poop Train Supporting Member

Columbus
    I agree wholeheartedly with Shady. Although there are a couple good things here, most of the things here seem flawed, and/or incorrect. I don't want to start mentioning other things, because I currently do not have the time, but if I can, I will later.

4. osawaab

osawaab Active Member Supporting Member

Charlotte and or A galaxy far, far away
    I was taking notes about all the things that were wrong with this... i was excited.... then i got to the bottom and shady pretty much hit them all :'(. Anyway it was nice having qualities articles for a while back a few weeks ago.

5. ibob4tacoz

ibob4tacoz what am I doing Supporting Member

Buckeye
    @Lil_Shady What I meant was that brick-and-mortar stores tend to show what they're like through the amount of customers, the condition of the store, etc. Online, is a different matter, hence the parenthesis. I also mentioned that people should check YT reviews and other websites, but thanks anyway for the criticism. @osawaab So, I'm implying that you say my article isn't "quality"?

6. osawaab

osawaab Active Member Supporting Member

Charlotte and or A galaxy far, far away
    No, im simply implying that alot of the recent articles (including yours) have not been as good as ALL of the articles used to. Then again its not info that is useful to me at the time so maybe im just being overly critical.

7. ibob4tacoz

Buckeye
    Ah, I'm working on another article, but I hope it won't be as "critically jeered". Lol, I googled an antonym of "critically acclaimed". Well, I'm wondering if I should put it out or not. (It's about airsoft maintanence...

8. Laserfish

Laserfish Active Member

Columbia
    I think the issue with this article is that you added quite a bit of opinion to it. For a front page article, you should probably stick to things that are widely agreed upon instead of inserting things that are often debated. Also, reviews on Evike are worthless.

9. Sniper272

Sniper272 Member

Shady pretty much summed it up. I would have to say an electric sniper is not a waste at all if you have it properly tuned and upgraded but I suppose we are talking about stock guns.

10. Shur

Shur Member

SW Wisconsin
    Shady is absolutely right here, but I personally think that the sniper section should be eliminated entirely. Having an effective sniper rifle is so expensive and time consuming for the kind of person this is directed towords, and the reality of being a sniper is very, very different from what most people think. I can't seem to find it, but shiftyshooter had a quote somewhere about snipers not being bought, bu built.

11. ibob4tacoz

Buckeye
    ^Eragon fan too? Anyway, I can see your point there.

12. BrainfreeZe

BrainfreeZe New Member

Tampa/Wesley Chapel
    1.) You can get a better gun used for $120 than a new $120 gun (AEG or GBB) 2.) Gas snipers are way better in most cases than spring snipers 3.) NEVER advise people to play in their backyard because people who plays in their backyard with their Red Jacket 1911 springer will make the rest of the sport look bad when their on the news for shooting their little brothers eye out or getting shot by the cops. (ALso springers are a waste IMO) 4.) WE IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. 5.) APS IS ABSOLUTELY HORRBLE. 6.) NEVER trust MSRP when looking at a mark down like the pic above shows. 7.) Technically any gun can be used for CQB, I have personally used one of my GBBR DMRs for CQB just fine 8.) Yes there are some great online stores and you can usually get a better deal, but even when paying more at a local store they will usually offer either a price check, or a lifetime labor warranty. 9.) Camo isn't always meant to blend in, often it is designed to stick out, and ID friend or FOE. Hence why UCP sucks at blending in. 10.) Longer barrel doesn't always mean better range, especially if its made of poor quality materials.

13. ThePopeIntern

ThePopeIntern Member

Las Cruces
    Honestly, I have to agree with everybody else on their criticisms of the article. My main problem with the article, is as it has been stated, is how rather opinionated the article is written. This becomes an issue when the only brands you recommend don't exactly have the best reputations. Also some of the tips you give aren't exactly all that great and are some of the mistakes that newer airsofters commit. Such as relying on reviews on retailer's websites, especially considering websites like Airsplat which recently did a promotion of being put into a raffle for leaving them a positive review on facebook. I myself ran into this issue when I first, with buying condor gear.

14. ibob4tacoz

Buckeye
    I never recommended a brand. Where did you get that? I also mentioned that you should check other sites for reviews.

15. tommyg320

tommyg320 Member

Suffolk County
    I don't like the stress of barrel size=range. Instead, stress the importance of a good hop-up and a clean, quality barrel.

16. ibob4tacoz

Buckeye
    If I could edit this, I would. Tommy, you are very right. I got a 195mm with hop-up perfectly adjusted and barrel sparkling clean and I can get hits at ~250ft.

17. ThePopeIntern

ThePopeIntern Member

Las Cruces
    @ibob4tacoz By only mentioning certain brands and saying that, "WE (the brand)... Their guns are relatively good" and then this "Don't avoid WE altogether though." So although you did list negatives about the brand by what you said it could be construed as being a recommendation.

18. KScollector

KScollector New Member

Emporia
    I have had very good luck with a WE Hicapa. Most of their guns do suck, but i think the Hicapa is a great side arm for a new player.

19. TheLost

TheLost Conductor of the Poop Train Supporting Member

Columbus
    I am sure you are getting 250+ feet of range on a 190mm Barrel with standard hop set up. #sarcasm

20. ibob4tacoz

Buckeye
    Fine then, don't believe me. Just gonna say that I'm sure that it was about 200-250ft.