Featured Airsoft rifle for training

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Magicalplace, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:58 AM.

1. Magicalplace

Magicalplace New Member

Hello, I am looking for something similar to my real mk18 to use for training and drills. I'd like to have something with a 10.3-10.5" barrel so it points the same. I would also like a cheap-ish reproduction peq-15 (needs to have at least an IR laser pointer, not too worried about IR illumination) so I don't have to move mine back and forth. I really don't know much about airsoft guns so I'm trying to do some research, but there are a million rifles and I have no idea what I'm looking at. I'm thinking maybe $150 or possibly up to a couple hundred dollar budget. I'd like something that I could upgrade later on if I decide to actually start playing. Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

surevaliance likes this.
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    150.00 won't get much in a good shooter. However, you will get a "prop" for point and shoot drills.

IR Lasers in a PEQ replica are available, but they are not cheap. IR lasers cost more to make in Airsoft than Red/Green laser units. An IR equiped PEQ will cost as much as the AEG itself at 150.00. However, people use the Airsoft ones on their real steel too.

So...look at on of the online retailers and find something that catches your eye and ask us about it.

If you do want to take it a step futher...get a Gas M4

3. surevaliance

surevaliance New Member

I love to shoot the real guns, but now ammo is the new gold.
    I have tried to find a decent P90 AEG that won't kill my budget, like Echo 1 that I had years ago, but then I gave up and just got M4 instead: https://www.amazon.com/Soft-CQBR-RIS-Automatic-Electric-Airsoft/dp/B01LX6OTUB
    and 10,000 bio- bbs https://www.amazon.com/BULLDOG-Airs...bs+6mm&qid=1610658900&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1
    for my backyard therapy/drills. ;)
    The gun itself is $129.79; sold and shipped by Amazon, so free shipping and free returns.
    Ergonomically it is almost identical to the real AR/M4.
    Hi-cap magazine that comes with the gun sucks as it jams a lot. So, eventually I am gonna get a mid-cap one. Other than this, I love my new "trainer".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021 at 6:25 PM
  4. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Oh I know that one very well. A Cybergun "Colt" AEG...

surevaliance likes this.
  5. surevaliance

surevaliance New Member

Yep. Did you have one? How did you like it?

6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    It's a Cybergun product.

There is nothing special about it. First 200 units in black had a hop-up packing that was too tight and thus the bbs wouldn't push in and seat. I had to help retrofit all the units to get them sold.

Being that you are new to Airsoft, I'll give you this advice:

American Consumerism does not apply in airsoft. Nothing is made to a standard, thus there is no formal QC. It's a buyer beware market and the rebrand items are of lowest quality.

Cybergun is not a good company nor do they make "good" products...mediocre at best and then it's over priced for what you get.

That AEG was 49.00 each FOB Shenzhen.

surevaliance likes this.
  7. surevaliance

surevaliance New Member

Thank you, very informative!
    Speaking of P90 AEGs: any budget version that works out of the box? Like I mentioned above, I really enjoied my glitch-free Echo 1 P90 years ago, wish I didn't gett rid of it. It's mostly for backyard plinking, because I can't play milsim anymore due to my back injury.

8. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    Gas guns are not reliable enough for running backyard drills unless you want to get into GBB teching.
    I run mine for backyard drills, but I have a few hundred hours into teching GBB’s at this point and a parts bin big enough for every problem I could face.
    Would not recommend for a first-time airsofter.

An AEG like a SPECNA Edge is available in several configurations and at least one is close enough to a real-steel firearm to be a useful training aid.

FMA, Element and Night Evolution all make good replica lights and PEQ’s.
    ShooterCBGear.com and WCGshop.com have a good selection of decent enough replica optics.
    The most expensive piece of replica would probably be a PEQ-15 around the $75 and will have a low-grade IR laser on it. Far enough into the IR spectrum that you won’t see the dot on your target with a naked eye, but you will see the diode light up a bit.

While amid-grade AEG will not simulate every function of a real gun, it is one step up from a blue gun and will at least show you if you are MOA or Minute-of-manhole on CQB drills.

Stay away from KWA AEG’s. They have always been overpriced with iffy quality.

Edit:
    Corrected NightForce to Night Evolution.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 at 6:34 PM
  9. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Cannot relate to this personally, it definitely applies to their gas M4s though. TK.45c, Ronin M4, G36C have been reliable on our field and most can be gotten secondhand for very reasonable prices.

Seconded, Night Evolution also does reproduction gear and I've been surprised with how close they are out of the box to the real stuff. Cannot comment on longevity though, I don't use them to skirmish.

A few brands I see sell Mk18 style AEGs, VFC and Tokyo Marui will be the best out of the box. GHK and TM do gas versions but those may be hard to find at the moment.