Airsoft Segregation MILSIM vs Airsoft

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Detroit
    As a fast growing sport, Airsoft is starting to experience the rift of specific crowds wanting different ways to play. The word Airsoft generally encompasses all play-styles right now, but a significant group is emerging from the scene, MILSIM. Military Simulation is a much more tactical and immersive Airsoft experience, with stricter rules and regulations, and adds certain gear and play requirements. In this version, players emulate servicemen as thoroughly as possible, attempting to reach a level of realism surpassed by no other. Individuals usually run impressions of certain military units, and the organization is much cleaner. The pace of the game is considered to be much slower and more realistic compared to general 'Airsoft' style. Non-MILSIMers (read:Airsofters) tend to play in a more run-and-gun way, allowing any kind of equipment and weapon. This faster gameplay appeals to newer players, but it does not exclude experienced ones either, as the sport is more versatile and generally open to anyone. Players of the two sports tend to prefer one over the other, and may not participate in the other group due to the almost drastic differences between them. Recreational Airsoft is usually the starting point for most players, who then decide to stick to the normal game, or desire a change and go into the more 'advanced' MILSIM games.

View attachment 134599

Most players will not think nor care about this difference right now, but later on it may be a hot topic. Right now, a MILSIMer can play recreational Airsoft, but an Airsofter cannot participate in MILSIM (without meeting the requirements). This segregation of MILSIM and 'Recsoft' makes the distinction clearer, and with this, each sport may opt to go another path. Other ways to play may pop up, similar to Paintball's different ways of playing (IE: woodsball, speedball, scenarios). In this event, an Airsofter could be considered a MILSIMer, a Recsofter, target shooter, Larpsofter (who knows), or any other player type that pops up! These groups would cater to the different tastes of the players, becoming more specific for each one. An individual may participate in the different groups as they choose, but the gap between may grow more defined as each sport acquires it's own reputation and playerbase. Eventually, the term 'Airsofter' may only describe the player utilizing a system of slinging plastic, their subgroup would have to be defined as well!

The thought of Airsoft creating many subgroups is an exciting one, although it can be a bit scary! This separation could create an attitude of elitism, as each group perceives it's own to be the best. This split could cause rivalries like the one Airsoft and Paintball share right now. Even though all the groups will likely get the same attention and understanding from outsiders and the media (unless they become big), they may evolve to be nothing alike, sharing only the weapons they use. With some of the potential problems considered, the specialization aspect would help players attain the experience they want, which would add to the enjoyment and fulfillment each player gets. Already, OPs are designated as MILSIM or not, alluding to the differences of the styles. As an Airsofter (for now), do you support the separation of the playerbase? Or is it preferable to stay in one big clump as a sport? While playing, take notice of anything that may indicate changes in this direction, it will surely be interesting!

2. Andrew125

Andrew125 New Member

Europe
    Solid input. I'm getting second thought about trying to join a local MILSIM squad. It's a bit scary :D

3. redtail

redtail Member

Hard MILSIM tends to wax on the boring side for me. I greatly prefer some degree of realism and a healthy helping of story and roleplay, but all the same, I do prefer a comic-book level of stylization. We've cultivated this style, which we sort of refer to as "Action movie sim", in the northwestern Illinois/Great Lakes region. It incorporates games like Codename: THUNDER and Pandora's BOx. Besides, none of my guns are suitable for proper milsim. At any other game, people see my BR55HB-SR battle rifle and, with a grin, ask, 'You're on our side, right?' I brought my VSS Vintorez replica to the first MILSIM game I'd ever been to, to play as part of a group of OMON counterterrorist operatives. Everyone on my team was still wearing Multicam and covered in M16 paraphernalia, crayon-eater helmets, and American morale patches, while I had my blue camo, an ushanka,and a Soviet naval infantry harness. THis time I got , "You're on *their* team, right?"

4. MR38

MR38 Active Member

Washington
    You forgot to mention the link in the chain between the two sides. Tact-sim it is using a pseudocommand structure as well as real work tactics at a regular open play field. My "milsim" team used a tact-sim style of play when we attend open play games.

5. sink009

sink009 New Member

North Judson
    @redtail I know exactly what you're talking about. Last year at Pandora's Box was one of my favorite games that I've ever played (especially since the Motherland dominated both days).

6. jelly_biscuit

jelly_biscuit New Member

Casselberry
    Here in Central Florida, at the local fields known as Combat City, there is a heavy segregation of "Weekend Warriors" and kids that just come to shoot up the ceilings at indoor and camp a spawn at outdoor. Because of this segregation, there tends to be a lot of loosely structured gameplay. Most of the MILSIM and more serious players have gathered into teams and play in a different section of the field, or have their own area in an entirety to work with. I personally dont care for hardcore MILSIM and prefer " Tact-sim" as my favorite style. But I do believe these divisions are needed to appeal to all styles of players and ages, and to progress the sport as a whole.

7. imnotcrazy777

imnotcrazy777 Active Member Supporting Member

Redtail, that BR sounds awesome. When I mentioned 'LARPsofter' (even though we could all be considered it, technically) I did mean more of a roleplay that's not involving MILSIM style, like game-based scenarios.

8. Senther

Senther Member

Bayfield
    Seems like the distinction between milsim and recsoft is murky at best. Obviously, there's a large disparity between the 9 year olds with Wal-Mart guns and the hardcore airsoft players with $1,000+ worth of gear. But I don't really see how you can make a distinction other than aesthetics for the more middle ground players. I mean, every large (40+ players) airsoft game I've been to has had elements of what the author seems to define as mil-sim. There was a fairly rigid command structure, and due to the size of the AO, tactics and positioning played a much larger role than simply who shoots better. I wouldn't cal it mil-sim, though, because of the lack of uniformity among players. Seems to me that the only difference is just that, having uniformity among teams. Can someone clear this up for me?

9. DMR-M14

DMR-M14 New Member

Geneva
    I have been to a game the organiser and owner of the field referred to the game type as Real-sim. where you weren't supposed to bring all kinds of fancy gear just denim jeans and something to hold mags in. it was post zombie apocalypse. so while we were closely impersonating a group, we were only wearing 20 dollars of normal day clothing (and face protection) these games lasted for days, separated by nights for sleeping and weekdays for normal field play, there was over 100 people on site and 5 teams with 5 bases. although if you showed up to the field with multicam a $200 plate carrier and real steal helmet, they still let you in. the basis was that all that mattered was your gun and skill. the game had extremely tactical elements and many things that made it very realistic. but there wasn't a dress code or anything like that. I loved it. (this next part inst an add, just a suggestion from me b/c I loved the last one) they are doing it again this year. its called colony wars at black-ops airsoft in zion illinois. although it will only be one weekend. http://www.blackops-airsoft.com/blackops-events-zion-il.html

10. redtail

redtail Member

@imnotcrazy777 THat's the most fun way to play, IMO. :D Obviously SOME realism is ideal to justify some level of weapon restrictions to prevent the game fromb ecoming spray-and-pray paintsoft, but there's some value in every game not being limited strictly to oorahs who are only allowed to use a single type of gun and a single type of gear.

11. Razor6

Razor6 New Member

Menomonee Falls
    I probably fall in the "tacsim" camp as I find Milsim a bit far into the re-enactor zone. One thing that I'm curious about is the number of "bad guy" milsim teams, I notice a distinct lack of them, so in the milsim-tacsim games I attend the guys I run with go for the Tango team. I understand players want to impersonate the group they want but we've been to games where 4 tangos lined up against 5 SEAL/SOF teams of 6-10 each, ended up breaking up the US side; the point being I've only seen 1 or 2 teams willing to play the bad guys. Does always running as a Somali pirate/Taliban/Die Hard Euroterr keep me out of milsim?

12. Sworean

Sworean New Member

I personally think you can't really put these to vs each other. Reason. Airsoft L derpy back door combat with that cheap gun _Military simulation and realism games L. L Target shooting _ shooting at each other unrealisticly. Rp games_big games_ small games