Airsoft Sniper BB Weight Recommendation and Question

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by DeathAngel3711, Mar 23, 2019.

1. DeathAngel3711

DeathAngel3711 Member

DFW
    Hello AS Forum Snipers,

I purchased a parts-donor L96 that has the upgrade parts that I will use for upgrading my current L96. The parts to be used for the upgrading from the new will be the cylinder, spring and trigger assembly. I have other mods in mind for the hopup/barrel, but for the scope of this thread I'll keep it tight to two questions: 1) What weight bb should I use, and 2) Do bio-bbs ever expire?

The specs on the parts-donor L96
    .20g bbs - avg 533.22 fps @ 2.634 j <-- D14 in Denton, TX has a 550 fps limit on snipers
    .32g bbs - avg 430.73 fps @ 2.754 j

In testing the rifle with my .36's the sniper jammed on the first round so I can't say what it chrono's with .36's, but we'll get back to this in a second. In looking at @1tonne 's thread on DIY modding an L96, he posts his bb weight joule specs. I found that my donor-parts gun shoots a little hotter than @1tonne 's (given the specs above), and I would like to know if it would be a good idea to buy .4's this time around instead of .36's. I'm not sure about the logic of this, but because .4's were the max joule rating of @1tonne 's build, would mine be slightly higher/more capable because it has slightly high joule-output per bb weight (until the joule-drop at some unknown point). Or was the joule-drop after .4's due to barrel length in which case I should stick with the .36's I bought before? Do me a favor and give me your thoughts on that logic as well... Here's the link to @1tonne 's thread :) and if you are reading this @1tonne , I'M A HUGE FAN OF YOUR WORK!!! The man's a legend...

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/57-type96/6465-advanced-l96-sniper-upgrade-guide.html

My second main question: Do bio-bbs expire over time even when stored properly? I inspected the bag of bbs after the first .36 jammed and it looks like the bbs are dull/chalky and they don't seem to be shiny/slick as my .25's and .28's I use in my AEGs. I recall when I first bought them that they looked very similar/normal to my standard bio AEG ammo, but now, not so much. I don't remember when I bought them, but I'd guesstimate the purchased date would be about 5-7 years ago for which the bag has been opened and then sealed maybe 100-120 times over the years. The .36's in question are Bio-Shot White bbs as seen at the link below.

https://bioshotbb.com/collections/6mm/products/6mm-36g-bio-bbs-3500-rounds-white

If bio-bbs do expire, I guess I wouldn't be surprised. But now I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do with a barely used but now possibly expired bag of nearly 2500 useless bbs? Thanks for the help fellas, take care!

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Not all BIO bbs are the same. Sounds like yours is reacting to humidity....toss them.

A course bb is better than a high polish bb. SGM's are medium polish...but not bio.

DeathAngel3711 likes this.

3. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    ...Right into a bulk load m203 or shotgun shell (aps 870) or a thunder-b ‘nade..

Or grab one of those pocket shot slingshot doohickeys off aliexpress and get some kills that way. Might as well use them somehow...

Or leave them for your opfor to use lol

4. 1tonne

1tonne Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    0.4gm should be fine. Just make sure you have a 100% air seal.

5. DeathAngel3711

DeathAngel3711 Member

DFW
    Excellent! Thanks for all the great replies. I looked around when I bought the .36's from bioshot, and from what I remember they were recommended at the time. Has this changed or is there a better brand of bio sniper ammo I should buy this time around?

@1tonne , Awesome! I will certainly check the air seal once I get it put together. For clarification, is the reason we're going with .4's because of the barrel length or fps boost over the l96 from your post on ASF? From what I understand (and I'm still learning oh jedi master ;) ), you went with the .36's so that you wouldn't have to rely on using ALL of the available air from the cylinder and could therefore get a more consistent shot. If this is true, I'd be confused because my cylinder volume hasn't been increased, only the pressure applied, and that makes me think I should use the same weight (.36gm) as yours.

In the end I want the most consistent shot possible (as I'm sure no other snipers have ever wanted that before). While I get the rifle back together, I'll be configuring it with the LRBM mentioned from one of @1tonne 's ASF posts. I plan to do a WIP/Finished product review post of all the mods I've done for it and hopefully better inform other snipers where to go to get some great tips on tuning/modding their L96's. Some day in the future I hope to get my hands on a JG BAR 10, but until then I think the L96 looks sweet and performs exquisite. I'll post the link to the LRBM below for future readers.

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/41-vsr-rifles/6075-advanced-vsr-sniper-building-guide.html

6. 1tonne

1tonne Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    As long as you have a 100% air seal then the 0.4gm are good. They will still be OK if you do have a minor leak.
    I chose the 0.36gm just encase I had a small air leak. But in reality, both the 0.36gm and 0.4gm were very good.
    So either will be fine.

DeathAngel3711 likes this.
  7. DeathAngel3711

DeathAngel3711 Member

DFW
    Update: I found the reason the 5+ year-old BioShot .36g bbs were jamming in my L96's. The bbs have bio-degraded enough and expanded beyond the bore-size of my L96 barrels. After disassembling the rifles, I tried to drop a bb down the barrel and it won't even enter the barrel. If forced, they will cram into the barrel (as I accidentally found out when first discovering the jams), but they get really stuck in there and won't budge. So the problem was definitely resulting from biodegrading problems to one degree or another. I took a picture of the bb in question next to some others I had on hand for future reference.

The bbs in the picture are as follows starting from the left...

EliteForce .28g - BioShot .36g - BioShot .40g
    IMG_20190415_224339.jpg

I feel like I can almost visibly see the difference in physical bb size, but I think my eyes are playing tricks on me. Note to future readers the "dull/chalky" look of the .36g I mentioned before. Apparently this would be the indicator of "scrap these bbs and buy some new ones".

Thanks for all the help and advice, hopefully this thread will one-day prove informational/advantageous to a future reader! Which reminds me, I will add some tags to hopefully get it found in future searches...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    fred_ditto and Peeque like this.
  8. Rainmaker

Rainmaker Member

PDX
    Like a matte surface?