Airsoft sucks...

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by goodmanje, Jun 8, 2015.

1. goodmanje

goodmanje New Member

Dallas
    I've spent hours trying to get the fps on my M14 to over 400 with absolutely no success... My compression is good everywhere I can check. I've done the bucking mods using dental floss, and flat hop nub. It's incredibly accurate and consistent with each shot.... Unfortunately every shot slowly glides to the target, it won't shoot all the way through a coke can or the side of a cardboard box. It's ridiculous.... I'm ready to smash this thing and be done with it. What the hell else can be done?? I just put a new m120 spring in to see if the other was maybe worn out and I got zero improvement... Damn it!!!!!

2. Hennepin215

Hennepin215 Member

Florida Keys
    Possibly your piston head is having problems? Check your oring on the piston.
    Also check your air nozzle length it might be short leaving a gap which leaves a big gap for air to leak.

3. vanevery

vanevery New Member

What is the actual chrono reading of the gun, measured with .20's, and the Hop-up turned all the way off?
    M120 mans nothing, especially if it is a Matrix brand or some other cheap China Clone Spring.
    Get a quality brand Main Spring, that should solve your problems.

4. RotaryProblems

RotaryProblems Member

Put in a stronger spring. Tightbore as well.

5. goodmanje

goodmanje New Member

Dallas
    I installed a Madbull m120 shortly after getting the gun. It got a crono reading of 430fps with.20g BBs. I later installed a Guarded cylinder, cylinder head, piston head and air nozzle. Of course that when things went to crap. I've stretched the o-ring and greased it. No air leaks from the cylinder. I noticed the air nozzle was a little large for the cylinder head tube so I bought one with an o ring that fits much better. I acne test compression with the air nozzle in the forward position and get no leaks. The new nozzle is the same length as the stock one. Still no improvement..... when I measured the fps shortly after installing the new piston and such it was down to 318fps.... I don't get any kind of pop sound when I shoot.... Just a sad wheeze.

6. goodmanje

goodmanje New Member

Dallas
    The idea of a stronger spring has crossed my mind. I was wondering if the increased compression is putting more load on the spring and can't blow the air out as fast. What brands are most recommended? Should I go to an m130?

7. CaptCookie

CaptCookie Member

Kamiah
    Did you make sure your new cylinder is volumed correctly?

8. goodmanje

goodmanje New Member

Dallas
    As far as I can tell it's the same size as the stock cylinder. It came as part of a Guarder Cylinder enhancement kit. I just opened it up again and checked compression. I find no leaks. I tried the paper test to check between the air nozzle and bucking. The paper slightly moves but that's it. When I shoot this thing with good compression, shouldn't there be an audible "pop" from the air being forced out through such a small opening? I'm really leaning towards a stronger spring.

9. Hennepin215

Hennepin215 Member

Florida Keys
    What direction is the hole/port in your cylinder facing? More towards the front or back of the gearbox?

10. goodmanje

goodmanje New Member

Dallas
    The cylinder is not ported. I just put my Madbull m120 back in. The new 120 spring (can't remember the brand) actually feels weaker than the Madbull. I'll shoot it tomorrow and see if I can tell a difference.

11. CaptCookie

CaptCookie Member

Kamiah
    Let us know how it goes.

12. kozicki

kozicki New Member

-Check air nozzle alignment.

-Shim hopup unit against gearbox shell.

13. goodmanje

goodmanje New Member

Dallas
    There was maybe a slight difference with the Madbull 120. Hard to tell....
    As far as I can see the nozzle is lined up with the hop up. I did some tests last night to make sure the nozzle was making it far enough to hit the bucking and it was good. I'm driving over to GI Tactical today and having them crono it. I'm going to pickup a 130 spring while I'm there. Any suggested brand of spring to go with?

14. goodmanje

goodmanje New Member

Dallas
    Ok..... I just stuck all the original parts back in it but left the Madbull 120.. The compression isn't that great but the thing shoots at a much higher fps. I nothing to measure it with but I'm actually tearing cardboard boxes to shreds again instead of everything bouncing off. Hmmm.... very frustrating. But at least it's usable again.

15. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    An M120 should have you shooting 400 fps with .2. About 330fps with .3. My FPS went to crap when I put a Madbull Red in. I took it out. Flat hopped the stock orange Madbull and my FPS is back up. Also the stock M14 motor is working pulling that M120 so if your compression is way better now than it was, it could be working even harder.

I put an Echo 1 Max Torque motor in with a 7.4V 2000mah 20c lipo and it is amazing on the M120. I have an M140 I kinda want to drop in but that puts me in permanent semi with engagement limits and I don't think I want to go down that road yet.

Have you corrected AOE? That also will cause a drop in FPS as you are decreasing the volume of the cylinder.

16. goodmanje

goodmanje New Member

Dallas
    That's good info. That m120 may be doing what it's supposed to. I shot .28 BBs and have a flat hopped bucking (best thing you can do for range and accuracy!).. My spring was brand new when it was measured at 430 so maybe it didn't have time to settle into it's expected fps. I'm going to try the 130 spring with the new internals ands see what that gets me.

17. CaptCookie

CaptCookie Member

Kamiah
    Glad you have it usable. I'm curious to see how the power is with the new parts and a better spring.