Airsoft Tech Business

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Speed_D_Airsoft, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Speed_D_Airsoft

Speed_D_Airsoft New Member

Im looking to start a little part time airsoft teching/upgrade business next summer, it would be sort of like a bootleg umbrella airsoft, where people lend me their guns and for a profitable price i would upgrade them internally. I was just looking for some advice or tips and feel free to share your thoughts by responding. thanks!

link0 likes this.
  2. RapidFire4

RapidFire4 Member

I think that would be cool. Where are you from?

3. Speed_D_Airsoft

Canada

4. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome fellow canadian...!

“Lend me their guns” please explain this?

There is always room for tech’s to work. I do the odd thing (mostly barrel cutting & threading) and I’m not looking for work, people find me usually by word of mouth.

There is lots of good techs up here, like zimming with his ztw’s.. I don’t go into the level of his workmanship though

(I usually end up with beaters/junk as builds, his clients are more vfc/avalon lol)

Edit:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Speed_D_Airsoft and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  5. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    I did the teching for money thing for a while. In the end, I got burned out. I still love working on my guns, but working on other peoples guns becomes more headache than its worth IMO.

Charging a "profitable price" likely wont happen until you've really built up your brand and reputation. Starting out, your price is going to have to be cheap to attract new customers, until you've established that your work is of quality. Only then can you up your price.

Keep in mind that a large portion of the players are kids, many without jobs and limited funds. By the time you factor in shipping both ways, cost of parts, and cost of work performed, the total cost can easily sore well past $100 usd. That's a good chunk of change for a kid and if they have a $200 gun, they're going to wonder if it is really worth putting in half the cost of the gun or more for upgrades. Most conversations about gun work end here.

6. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    [This is me making up things, just to make sure you know what you're doing;)]
    Scenario one:
    I have a G&P M4(363mm barrel) I want it to be upgraded to shoot 25-30 RPS w/ 11.1v, 400 FPS/1.5 joules, good accuracy and range, good trigger response, reliability, etc. A moderate build with all round good performance. What parts would you install? My budget for parts alone, not including labor is $200 USD.

Scenario two:
    I have a CYMA VFC style AK104 and I want it to have better trigger response, 500 FPS/2.3 joules or less for DMR limits, good reliability, accuracy, range with a .4g BB. Since it'll be a DMR full auto doesn't matter and it should be fairly quiet. My budget for parts is $300 USD, what would you install?

Scenario three:
    I have a Double Eagle spring pistol. I'd like you to upgrade it to 550 FPS and 400' effective range w/ .12g BB's for $10.

Speed_D_Airsoft likes this.
  7. Speed_D_Airsoft

well they would "lend me" their airsoft gun so i could install upgrades and do internal work on them.
    yeah i couldnt agree more, im doing this for a summer job to keep me busy, and I wont have to worry about shipping as i was planning to do this localy only, as airsofting were im living is still on the rise so i figured it could offer some help to my community(not to brag).

8. Speed_D_Airsoft

For scenario one i would probably go the route of DSG,MOSFET,tight bore inner barrel and so on. price would be quite manageable as my budget build was internally quite similar, for scenario two unfortunately i would have to turn you down as i know of no field in my province that would allow you to step onto the grounds with a 500 fps build, even with a 100ft range rule, scenario three is a good meme though!

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  9. Speed_D_Airsoft

I reeeeaaally like this question so do be sure to give me your feed back and opinions!!!!

10. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    For 25-30rps? Heck no.

And Boa, those budgets you listed were way more than your average player has for upgrades.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  11. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    For your answer to question one it shows you need more component experience.

12. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    Agreed, unless it's a really slow DSG, but then a good SSG can have excellent trigger response at that ROF.

Yes, I realized that but didn't have time to edit it.

13. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    I'm intentionally building a slow DSG, and even I'll have to use rof reduction to get it that slow lol

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018