Airsoft Theory: cold weather and AEGs

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by preston5151, Jun 4, 2015.

1. preston5151

preston5151 Member

Tustin
    So recently I learned that electricity flows better in cold metals because the atoms in the metal don't move as much creating less resistance in the conductor. My theory is that "In colder weather, AEGs should preform better in cold temperatures than in room or hot temperatures"

2. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

You would be correct in saying that however it isn't that much of a difference.

Buy my WE M16+4 mags, 200 +shipping CONUS

3. preston5151

preston5151 Member

Tustin

There probably won't be a noticeable difference but there will be some improvement.

4. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Not to mention the greater risk of fracturing your gearbox because it's brittle from the cold.

5. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The lower temperature will lower the resistance of the wiring a tiny bit, but not nearly enough to compensate for the voltage drop in the battery pack. Batteries will typically lose some voltage when they get cold, and this will have negative effect on performance. It will be more noticeable with nickel based batteries than with lithium based batteries.

6. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    A substantial increase in electrical conductivity, to the point where resistivity drops to zero for all practical purposes, in a material does not occur until it has been supercooled to almost 0 Kelvin.

If you're supercooling your AEG to 0 Kelvin, then something is wrong.

7. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Someone should acquire a tank of liquid nitrogen and do some tests. :D

8. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    The average range of temperatures you're dealing with in airsoft isn't big enough to see anything close to a real difference, especially not once you consider the fact that, just by firing the gun, you're causing the wiring to heat up.

Your wiring is pretty much the least heat-sensitive part of your gun. Cold is bad for your bucking, temperature changes will cause expansion and contraction in your barrel, potmetal and plastic bodies grow brittle in the cold, etc.

The wiring in your gun, on the other hand, will gain about a 4% increase in resistance from an increase in temperature from 68f to 86f, with the difference getting smaller the higher you get. And, once again, that's only for the initial draw, the moment the electrons start to move the temperature rises in the wire.

9. Baranor

Baranor New Member

North Pole
    This thread made me happy. Thank you.

10. toobladink

toobladink Member

Enough liquid nitrogen for testing would cost just as much as a PolarStar.

11. muffinman24752

muffinman24752 New Member

Yes but it will tensify your spring

12. MNairsoft7

MNairsoft7 New Member

I can't even

this is going in my signature.