Airsoft YouTube Channels

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by CallsignMortis, Dec 19, 2015.

1. CallsignMortis

CallsignMortis Member

Youtube has been a large part of airsoft media and has created a large interest and community for the sport. I recently decided that I wanted to be a part of that. With this in mind, what advice can you guys offer on starting an Airsoft youtube channel?

2. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

Be different if you want to succeed. Dont need anymore highlight reels with heavy metal music drowning out the audio. High quality editing is key.

3. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    My gosh yes, Kopis hit it on the head. The 2 things that will make me close or totally bypass a video no matter how great the match or vital the information is. If I'm forced to watch you play, even if it's short straight to the point highlights, I do NOT want to listen to music of ANY kind blaring at me. I'll take you doing a voice-over or letting the natural field sounds cumulate my ears over music, PERIOD. Don't do it.
    Low quality images are another, especially when watching gameplay. We can barely see the BBs flying as is, let alone your quick movements as you move your head, don't force me to watch it on a definition less than 720p.
    Which brings me to my next point. If you're going to show in-game action, either skip the gun cam OR use both a gun can and helmet cam. Gun cams bounce around too much and it's hard to focus, plus you often force the watcher to stare at the ground. A helmet cam puts them at your viewpoint, and granted there's some jaring motion is not nearly as much as a gun cam. But swapping between the 2 or having a primary helmet cam and then showing the gun cam in a picture-in-picture type mode is highly preferred.

For reviews -- well overviews, since people apparently don't know the difference between overviews and reviews -- are great, BUT you have to do it correctly. Research and make a script. Feel free to do cuts in between thoughts. Have a set, get a nice microphone; camera microphones are NOT made to pick up sound well, and it gets worse the further away the speaker is, and it gets even worse if the surrounding area isn't set up for audio. So use a stand-alone mic. We're all biased, but try to stick to the facts. But most importantly, GET TO THE POINT!!!! I honestly don't want to hear about how you got 50 kills last week. I care about you kill count as much as I care about a single grain of sand floating in the ocean - I DON'T and we don't. Just get to the point and keep moving.

The most important think is to add your own element to your videography. Some YouTubers have key-phrases, opening/closing sequences, things they wear, and so on. Make this your own. But just keep in mind your reason for the channel.

And as usual I feel I have to say this. If you're doing a channel for sponsorship or to get free items, simply stop. Too many players have abused this privilege which is why you now see many YouTube channels directly from manufactures (At least the English speaking ones), and not AirsoftJoeSchmoe. The guns retailers review are off their shelves. The only way a manufacture is going to send you a free items to review is if you have millions of follows, relay information effectively, and have become a trusted player, and even then it still may not happen. Again, this isn't aimed at you, but a blanket statement.
    [/end Rant]

4. Tactical_Skittles

Tactical_Skittles Active Member

Moscow
    Adding on to what Buster said, don't make your opening sequence too long. I don't care for long intros (15s+), in my opinion a 2-3 second opening title is perfect. The only long intro that I don't mind is S117GW's, but any others turn me off.

Another pet peeve of mine is, tell what music you use!!! I absolutely hate when I hear a song in a video, but the uploader never tells the title or, at the very least, the artist of the music. A good example of this is S117GW, he has awesome music in his videos, but I've only been able to find two tracks that he's used, and that was purely by luck.

5. JCL

JCL Member

Cohasset
    Just a comment on music. For me personally, in a montage-type video, music is crucial. It adds a constant into an otherwise chaotic editing style. I do understand how music could be distracting from a video, but I think commentary in a montage would emphasize the fact that it's very fligty. In addition to providing a secondary point of focus, music can also be used in the same way it's used in movies and tv: to set the tone. For example, EDM can compliment a particularly fast paced game and a deliberate rock or metal track can compliment a large and powerful assault. Even completely muted gameplay paired with the right track can have a huge effect on the viewer.

However, it's ultimately up to you what you do. Use it, or don't. Either will appeal to its own audience. It just depends on your own style. Just do what works, and best of luck!

6. jkim2001

jkim2001 Member Supporting Member

This is an example of a good video: 2 camera system, minimal talk, no music with zoom shots of hits.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6DKHb3TV8o[/ame]