AK + PDW Stock = Headaches

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by richman992, Jul 23, 2021.

1. richman992

richman992 Well-Known Member

Rochester
    I purchased a PDW stock on a whim, thinking it might be cool to throw on a short AK. However as an AK user I was not ready for the buffer tube compatibility issues that were coming my way. I almost bought an LCT folding buffer tube adaptor until the seller pointed out the stock is not compatible. He also suggested a 3d printed option:

IMG_2555.jpg

My issue is that I’m doing this to an LCT and this is for a Cyma. I’m also not sure if I trust a 3D printed part as a stock mount. The only other adaptor I’ve found that looks remotely compatible is this Laylax:

IMG_2556.jpg

Which again, is not for an LCT. And is $68 for a plastic adaptor.

IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg

This is the stock, my question is: Has anyone done this before? Is there an adaptor that is compatible, or should I swap receivers/get ready to modify the laylax? Any information helps, I’m finding very little out there.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Your finding very little out there because things are getting more and more line specific.

If it doesn't mention LCT, you will need to "adapt" it to get it to work.

3. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 Active Member

Pittsburgh area
  4. richman992

Rochester
    After the trouble I had finding a LCT stock pin, this doesn’t surprise me one bit.

I contacted the guy printing the adaptors and provided the LCT specs. So I will try that route first, mostly to see if I like the look and feel enough to pursue it further. I’m sure I could get the Laylax to fit but I think it might compromise the structural integrity of the hinge point to bore it out for a larger diameter pin. I’m curious if there are other adaptors for different rear trunions (full stock) that would work with this stock. I don’t plan on folding or collapsing the pdw stock at all.

5. richman992

Rochester
    IMG_2651.jpg

The 3d printed adaptor fits and is actually quite solid. I may field it just to see how it holds up, but this is probably where this endeavor will end. Im not as happy with the look of the PDW stock as I expected, so I won’t be pursuing the project further.

That being said, there was some very slight adjustments that I made to this adaptor. I am in the process of getting the tweaks to the printer, so if anyone does happen to want an LCT adaptor, let me know. I can get you in touch with the guy who prints them.

6. GrimWolf0770

Pittsburgh area
    I had such high hopes for you richy.......... X~X

7. GrimWolf0770

Pittsburgh area
    Yea homie that long buffer tube kills this idea for me.....

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    How about a G&P PDW one instead?

9. GrimWolf0770

Pittsburgh area
    I was thinking one like the r5c from we tech. I post a pic if I knew how,X~X but you can look it up.

10. richman992

Rochester
    You actually may have been onto something with this…. Maybe I won’t ditch the stock just yet.

IMG_2683.jpg

The gun is currently down for maintenance and tweaking. I run my guns pretty hard so I will put this adaptor through a good stress test hopefully next weekend. This picture is taken with the improved adaptor, which has zero wobble in any direction.

@Guges- It’s not out of the question. If this adaptor holds up well, it may be cool to see what other stocks will fit it. Now that I’ve switched optics something all black might be more fitting, though.

11. GrimWolf0770

Pittsburgh area