AK47 Dust Cover Keeps Popping Off - Release tab too short?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by uglystru, Oct 15, 2017.

1. uglystru

uglystru New Member

Southington
    I just got this AK47 from some local shop, and it's beautiful. However, I can't use it out in the field because whenever I fire it, the dust cover pops right off. Also sucks because that's where the battery is held so it's not even something I could do without.

If you see the pictures below, the release tab doesn't come out enough to lock the dust cover in place. It doesn't hold it down and the cover can pop right off with very little force.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see here, the cover is on all the way.
    [​IMG]

Here's how much force it really takes to remove, not much at all.

Has anyone seen this occur before? If so, how difficult is it to fix? Am I better off just selling the gun?

2. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    Pics of the top without the dust cover?

3. uglystru

uglystru New Member

Southington
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Yeah, looks like your dust cover isn't on right or something, as the button isn't able to come out all the way. I'd just wiggle it until it clicks into place.

Zaryk likes this.
  5. uglystru

uglystru New Member

Southington
    Problem is, that's as far out as it goes. I tried bending and pushing it out even further but it doesn't budge. There's a piece of plastic preventing it from being adjusted any further back.

6. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
  7. uglystru

uglystru New Member

Southington
    The piece that the release button sits in, preventing it from going back any further. I think it's metal, idk.
    [​IMG]

I think I found the problem. Either the release button assembly or the dust cover itself isn't stock. Not sure which is which but I'm thinking of replacing both of them as soon as I could find some replacement parts.

Would actual AK parts work on this?

8. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    The button appears to come back farther when the first cover is removed, indicating that the dust cover is keeping the button from popping out all the way. Just wiggle it.
    Why don't you think they're stock?

9. uglystru

uglystru New Member

Southington
    Nah, that's not it. The button comes out the same distance with or without the dust cover. Wiggling it does nothing. That's as far out as it will go.

10. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Every time I've seen this issue, it's been what I attempted to describe. If that's not the issue, then I don't know what to tell you.

Zaryk likes this.
  11. Egotiztik

Egotiztik New Member

Douglasville
    I'd try taking the dust cover off and maybe using a small hammer or some pliers to bend/deform the metal slightly to better keep it in place until a replacement can be purchased. Idk about AK but M4 isn't usually military specifications. So real AK parts prolly won't work.

12. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

That's exactly the problem with my SRC. The latch is simply getting hung up on the slot in the upper cover. Push it into place and then get the tip on a scalpel or something else thin in between the bottom face of the latch and the lower edge of the slot. It should be possible to lift the latch slightly and persuade it to fully emerge through the slot.

-Spitfire- and Zaryk like this.
  13. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    my dboys ak74u does this too. I fix it by simply jiggling the dust cover a bit and the tab slowly slides back all the way, just as spitfire said to do. Works every time on mine.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  14. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    AK AEGs are about a good few milimeters longer than a real rifle, so you can't use real dust covers on them.

Will say that the button on yours is shaped differently than mine. Try filing just a little bit of metal off the bottom of it, see if it comes out any further. The one that came on my cm040 is tilted upward, and yours almost looks like the dust cover hasn't been pushed all the way on. I can actually get mine looking exactly the same by just putting it on and then lifting it back up some with the button half pressed.

So either the dust cover isn't going low enough or the button is going high enough. Could also try removing a bit of material from the dust cover, down where it sits above your stock trunion.