aluminum gearbox

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by lovestosnipe, Sep 21, 2012.

1. lovestosnipe

lovestosnipe New Member

Does anyone out there have any idea if there is an aluminum version 6 gearbox for the p90 platform? I keep cracking mine and although they are fairly cheap I wouldn't mind dropping a 150 on a gearbox that I won't have to worry about cracking or breaking apart. Thanks for all help that comes.

2. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    did you round off the gearbox cylinder window corners and use sorbo? also, avoid using metal cylinder heads, piston heads and piston bodies. the only v6 gearboxes i cracked was a TM p90 (400fps 30rps). DSG builds on KS p90 holds up well.

3. lovestosnipe

lovestosnipe New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by rounding off. All I use is a bore up kit a m120 mad bull and a tight bore barrel in that gun. I get 400fps on the crono I used to test it after making sure the compression was good. I've cracked the gearbox 2x so far. Rate of fire on the gun with a lipo battery is nice for what I use it for.

4. lovestosnipe

lovestosnipe New Member

Can you also explain what sorbo is I'm not a tech in any means so dumbing it down a little for me would greatly help for me. Thank you.

5. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Sorbo is this: Link for the people who refuse to google stuff It helps cushion the blow of the piston assembly when it comes forward.

Radius'ing a gearbox means taking a fairly small rat tail file and rounding the corners of the cylinder window so less stress is transfered through one point. Rather, it is distributed evenly. I'll try and find a picture.

6. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 Member

better than a pic, a guide, he uses a v2, but it works the same for every gb I believe

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e3_JUOpY9E&feature=plcp[/ame]

7. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    good video... hard to explain without pix.
    the problem with using sorbo is trying to remove the cylinder head buffer without destroying it. sorbo is used between the buffer and cylinder head. if the buffer gets destroyed, you can use a flat rubber washer to protect the sorbo.

sorbo falls apart if it's not protected from the piston head. the main purpose for sorbo is to correct AOE (angle of engagement). the shock absorbing qualities is a big plus. before sorbo, nylon spacers were used on the piston to correct AOE.

there are other options. you can cut a tire rubber tube to protect the sorbo. this way, you don't have to remove the cylinder head buffer and just glue the sorbo on top.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    I like to use Neoprene Rubber as a buffer between the sorbo and the impact. 1/32" thick stuff to be exact. The mcmaster-carr number is this: 2618T118

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. lovestosnipe

lovestosnipe New Member

Alex I appreciate it I'll look into that thanks