An Impression Idea

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Tenhoff, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    Well, I have to sell my Flyye PC plate carrier to buy a new gun. So this year for Christmas I have $100 to work with (not as much as I'd like but we can't afford big Christmas budgets). I figured the Condor MCR1/RRV is a decent cheap vest that will leave me with some money to get some pouches, plus I've always liked the RRV. I wanted to make an impression with the khaki RRV and an mp5. My problem is, I don't know any units or anything that have used the RRV and mp5 at the same time and I wanted to make a impression out of it. Anyone know any groups that use the khaki RRV and mp5? My guess might be the seals but I don't know which era if so. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    If you find any reference picture of anybody using a khaki RRV with an mp5 and I'll help you ID the rest of the kit. You're not going to do it for $100 no matter what, and all of my usual disclaimers about Condor sucking apply. You're making a very big downgrade in gear here, and I'd advise your scrape together some cash from elsewhere instead.

3. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    I know $100 won't cover all of it. I still have most of my kit, I'm just selling my vest w/pouches. I'm basically using the $100 to focus on the new vest and some of the pouches. But from what I understand the MCR1 is a decent vest even though it's from condor. It may not be 1000d, but it has the polyurethane coated nylon backing rather than that cheap vinyl backing they used to use, and decent stitching. I don't know if you've heard of "nutinfancy" on youtube, but he seems like a reliable source and he put it through a good long test period with " run n gun" drills and so on. I know it's not on par with Flyye or Pantac or Eagle but I feel it should work fine.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    The biggest problem you get, and the one that no single review will turn up (and many wouldn't even consider) is crooked, poorly spaced, or narrow webbing. Cheap gear, including Condor, is plagued by this. You get columns that are too narrow to weave a pouch through or rows that are too crooked or narrowly spaced for the same. Not every Condor vest show this as a problem, but enough do. It's a matter of statistics. Their mean production variation is probably fine, but my guess is problems start cropping up less than one standard deviation away from the mean. That's no good.

5. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    I would love to buy a flyye but I just don't have the funds for anything big at the moment. I'm getting ready to leave for college so I only have $100 for Christmas money. All I can spare atm is a few bucks here and there for the pouches. down the road when I have a job I'd definitely buy a better vest and I can actually start making the impression but I need something cheap in the mean time. I'm curious of impressions for future reference.