Any MoviePass.com users?

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by theonlyBuster, Oct 11, 2012.

1. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    I recently found out about MoviePass.com and actually got into their Beta - pending I pay the fee.
    Just curious as to who actually has an account as well as YOUR PERSONAL experiences with it. Please note, the service has drastically changed over the past 2 months, so if you're talking about an instance before July, it's virtually irrelevant.

Note: For those who know me, know that I disregard all "my friend..." and "I heard..." stories.
    BUT if you come across any reviews of the service, feel free to post them or PM them to me

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Detroit
    I'm just now hearing of it.

Have you tried it out yet?

3. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    This is also the first time I've heard anything about it. Sounds quite interesting.

4. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Well I literally just officially signed up for the Beta. Post here in about a week or so and I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm bogged down w/ work and klass this week so I won't have any time to even drive by the movie theater.

I know the service was out about a year ago, where you could rent free movies from places like Blockbuster, but there were a lot of complaints because noone was getting paid. So this is they're next take on the idea. Crossing my fingers this pays off.

5. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Just an update
    Paid the monthly fee. Received an email that said my card won't be charged until I receive, activate, AND use the "movie" card for the first time. So that's nice.
    Movie card should arrive in the mail within a few days. BUT I'll be out of town for the next few days, so I probably won't get a chance to test the card til sometime next week.

Btw thanks for linking my posts, it reminded me to come back and give you guys updates lol.

6. Fyzix

Garland
    What's the monthly fee?

Will have a few more questions once you've actually started using it.

7. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    No worries, I'm planning on doing a write up on it. Feel free to ask any questions.

Monthly fee is $30 (a select few Beta testers have it discounted at $20)
    They also say you'll get access to select pre-screenings and so on.
    In all honesty, I subscribe to a couple websites where I get some pretty good pre-screenings so I'm not too moved by that, I know how that whole thing goes. But the way I see it, movie tickets are about $13 down here. I go to 2-3 movies a month I'm breaking even. I'll go into more detail and personal opinions when I get the card and start using it.

8. Fyzix

Garland
    Ok, sweet. Looking forwards to that then. If it's what it sounds like, this might be a great alternative to Netflix.....

9. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Well I came home from vacation and put it to the test last night. I'll start from the beginning.

I got home and checked the mail and got a rather basic, simple looking envelope, similar to that of a birthday car. Inside a bi-fold Bday-style card with the actual Movie Pass card inside. And of course the terms and conditions were also folded up inside the envelope.
    The Bday-style card has very simple instructions
    [​IMG]
    Sign back of card, Review cardholder info, download MoviePass mobile app.

Well here's the kicker. There is only currently an app for the Iphone, Android and Windows Phone users have to go to their mobile site (m.MoviePass.com), but it's not a big deal because you can bookmark it and send send the bookmark to your home page for easier launching. Also the Apple App is basically a bookmark to the mobile site.

So I ran to the theaters last night, opened my bookmark and checked-in. Took about 2 minutes and was easy.
    Login, find the theater and select check-in.
    I waited about 5min to ensure the funds were sent to the card (don't wanna be THAT guy).
    I'm advised to use the machine as opposed to an actual person when it comes to buying my ticket. Luckily the line to talk to a person about buying tickets was stupid long, so the automated machine was a great quick alternative.
    I walked up to the machine, chose my 2D movie and then swiped the card. My movie ticket popped out, I did a little dance then went home.
    Yes, I didn't even see the movie lol
    I just finished a 9hr drive and I was dead tired. I just wanted to get this info out there for anyone who might have been interested.

I'm gonna do 1 more test wednesday. The plan is to check-in then attempt to buy the tickets within 2minutes, at at least with minimum wait time.

A few things to point out.
    - There is a 1-800 style phone number you can call if you have any problems, and apparently if you have issues, they'll guide you through it.
    - Most automated machines will not do partial payments, so you can't choose a 3D movie, and pay half with 1 card and the remainder with another.

If you're like me and are planning on seeing a 3D movie with this card, it's not that easy. I figured I could go to the town's most expensive theater and check in, then go to a cheaper theater and purchase a 3D movie ticket (That's the same price as the movie expensive theater's 2D movie). It won't work. According to the rep, the computer system is set up so that the place you check-in must match the address of the place where your purchase the ticket. If the info doesn't match the card is deactivated within 24hrs of purchase. In other words it won't work.

Any questions/ideas you guys have I'll be happy to address. Like I said, I'm planning on giving it a second try Wednesday (my night off)

Addition:
    Forgot this... When you check in, you choose which movie you want to see. So basically if you want to see Movie ABC a second time, when you check in you have to choose another movie, but of course you'll most likely be able to purchase a ticket to see Movie ABC.

10. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    So what exactly is this ? Is it like netflix you pay a monthly fee and then you can watch as many movies as you want except in this case it's for an actual theater.

11. Shooter

Detroit
    Seems like a cool system.

Any issues with it yet?

12. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    None as of yet, but I've only used it once.

In short yes.
    $30 per month, you get to watch up to 1 movie per day. BUT you can only watch each movie once ["honor system"].
    You're limited to 2D movies, and not every theater is included.
    To find which are included, go here -> https://www.moviepass.com/users/registrations/get_started
    Top right, select "View Theaters" and input your zip code.

Worth it if you go to at least 2 movies per month outside of matinee times. Average movie ticket down here is $14+tax, so it's worth it if I go to 3 movies per month.
    The companies are getting paid, which is typically where the problem lies with companies such as this.

Any other questions?

13. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Update:
    A friend of mine also got the MoviePass. He hadn't activated it yet, but as the instructions say, if you don't activate it you won't be charged. Well he's been charged for 2 months already without it being activated. The card is actually still in the sealed envelope.

Also their support system seems to be more of a hassle than anything else; giving him the run around and changing stories. The original person he started the claim with actually sounded drunk.

In short, IF you decide to venture into this, plan ahead.

On a side note, I've cancelled my account. It was fun for a month or so, but I dont watch more than 2 movies a month, when you compare pricing, the monthly subscription is the equivalent of 3 matinee movies (2 prime time movies) and a medium pop corn, meaning to get my money's worth I have to see at least 4 movies (Becuse you can't pay for a half movie). It was a fun experiment, but the "promotions" and perks really aren't worth it. In addition, they've altered the rules. You can watch 4+ movies a month, but there's an extra charge (or something). The lingo was seemingly purposely confusing.

In addition to my own, I haven't seen many great or amazing reviews/stories on this service. All the reviews are good or "meh ok"

14. Shooter

Detroit
    Did your friend get his money back?