Any Puxing Radio Users out There?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by iTunesTomato, Dec 2, 2012.

1. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    I'm considering getting a new Puxing PX-888D and had a question that was sort of left ambiguous by all the resources I could find online.
    Now I understand that these radios, if they are the 400-480Mhz variety, can operate in the FRS/GMRS channels and have found this:
    My only question is does anything have to be done to them, programming wise, to allow them to operate on these frequencies with bubble pack FRS/GMRS radios? As far as I've found, no, but I wasn't sure.
    Also, from what I know, the programming done with a clone cable on computer mainly just puts pre-set frequencies in the radio, correct?

2. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    I have this radio, but I don't have the programming cable. You can choose the frequencies you want via the keypad. You don't necessarily need the cable.

3. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    And you use the FRS/GMRS channels?

4. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Yeah. I'll admit, though, I don't have much experience with radios yet.

5. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Well hopefully by the time I get mine you'll be able to help me with my problems :p

Thanks Archer

6. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    By the way, be careful on the broadcast frequency. I don't think you can go over 2W on the GMRS/FRS channels.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    i have a similar radio, just remember to adjust your power output. also, double check some of the 20 channels. some are reaper channels and one is an emergency channel (if using pre-programmed settings downloaded for that unit).

i use the cable programmable. makes syncing 4+ radios very quickly.

for better range, if it's a dual band radio, get an antenna specific for your frequency range. i normally use low power so the battery pack lasts all day. some puxing models are 5w.

8. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Wait what do you mean about the 20 pre-programmed channels?

9. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    There are 20 channels that come pre-programmed into the radio and make it ready to use out of the box.

10. EagleDriver

EagleDriver New Member

I would recommend the PX-888K version and not the D version. The K version is dual band (UHF/VHF) and you get coverage no matter what radios are being used at a game (GMRS, MURS, etc.)

The Puxing radios do not come pre-programmed when new. You have to either manually enter them in or use the programming software. You can check out this guide here for how to manually program them:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=128892

For FRS/GMRS, the channels are narrow band and the FRS only frequencies are restricted to 0.5 watts. The licensed GMRS frequencies are limited up to 50 watts, depending on license and geographic area. This includes the shared FRS/GMRS as well as itinerant frequencies.

11. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Eagle, I want the 888D because I really have no need for the VHF frequencies and, more importantly, I want the dual channel feature
    I have read your thread on AirsoftCanada, its actually been in my bookmarks for when I get the radio :p
    I thought the FRS channels were legally "Limited" to .5 watts but some people illegally used them on higher power? Or is it physically limited

EDIT: I re-read your thread, it says all 888 models have dual channel mode, I thought it was just the 888D, I haven't seen anything about dual channel mode on the K model

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  12. Hat3d1

Hat3d1 New Member

Moore
    Love my 888. Once you understand the process to program it. Its a breeze.

13. EagleDriver

EagleDriver New Member

The 888K also has dual channel mode. It has some updated firmware over the D model as well and is the same price as the D.