Any tips for shooting on the move?

Discussion in 'Tactics & Strategies' started by SkyPhant0m, Oct 17, 2018.

1. SkyPhant0m

SkyPhant0m Member

I find that when I move while shooting my gun sways a bit that cause my shots to fly way off target. Does anyone have any movement, stance, gun holding tips for me that will help me keep my gun more stable when shooting on the move?

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Nope...this is a muscle memory conditioning requirement. Practice shooting while moving that is all you can do.

3. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

One thing I've found that helps is rolling my feet. It was something taught to us in marching band to keep our instruments from bouncing around in our mouths. Basically you start at your heel and let your foot roll forward smoothly instead of just planting your foot down. It's very difficult to do while running but if you're just moving at a decent pace it's pretty easy.

Sparky88, -Spitfire- and SkyPhant0m like this.
  4. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Practice will help to a point. But you can counter act the loss of accuracy through volume of fire. :D

This is why those speedsofters are so obsessed with having 50-60RPS DSG builds.

5. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Hold your AEG closer to you. When you hold it out more, it bounces more. You basically want to reinforce it against your body and try to shoot when you are bouncing the least. Just a technique i learned a while back. doesnt mean it will work for you. give it a try..

Michael Rosa likes this.
  6. DeathAngel3711

DeathAngel3711 Member

DFW
    ^^ I think your answer can be found between what @Guges Mk3 and @Shady have stated above. I personally can't move very quickly and fire with decent accuracy. For instance, I'm sprinting between cover and firing wildly, I can cover 10' in about a second or maybe a little less, but not many of my shots will be on target (or even in the same postal code for that matter...). On the other side, if I'm moving slightly faster than walking, I can walk steadily making my shots much more accurate.

I'd say that it all depends on the scenario you are in at the time. Sometimes you need to cover a wide open area quickly and you'll want to go with the sprint. Other times you only need to cover a small space, like an alleyway or breezeway between structures, and a brisk walking pace while providing your own covering fire would make for a decent option. I personally don't fire much on the move because I'd rather make it to my intended destination on the field as fast as possible leaving the enemy the smallest time-window as possible to react, aim, and hit me.

I know I'm thinking outside the box here... But probably one of the best ways to give yourself accurate covering fire while on the move is to say something like "Hey boss... can you provide covering fire while I run over to that building? Righteous bro, thanks..." to a teammate. ;)

7. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Or look up and ask, "....is that a Mig-25?...."

8. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    I hear aimbot helps..

mikejosephman likes this.
  9. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    Slow is fast... fast is slow. When I was new, playing more, and on a (slightly organized) team, that’s what they were teaching/drilling into all “us noobies”.

Cover fire always helped. If you’re full on sprinting to get to cover, don’t even bother shooting. Good chance when you’re spotted, before their brain says pull the trigger, and that bb travels ~350 fps at you, where they aimed and shot is not where you are by the time the bb reaches your area. Even if they’re leading their shots in a off the shelf aeg doing sub 20rps.

Just be ready to shoot at opfor who may be rushing to where you just went to.

Just my $0.02 from playing cqb when if you rushed up just right and quick enough, you could get into certain spots that ended up behind the opfor firing line once they got to their cover...

BOA_SP3CT3R and link0 like this.
  10. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    stop moving while shooting. really. if you want accuracy, stop moving, then shoot. in all seriousness.

11. mikejosephman

mikejosephman Moderator Alligator Staff Member Moderator

Medieval England
    Here is something that legit helped me when I first noticed an issue. If you own a treadmill, practice running on it with your rifle/pistol/whatever. Not in a firing stance, but in a ready stance, and repeat raising your weapon over and over. Find a point on the wall (picture, light switch, etc) and keep your crosshairs or scope on it as long as possible while at a brisk pace. Once you have the motion down, as to where your weapon meets the shoulder, elbows lock, finger engages trigger, it will start to come naturally. This works best not running full tilt, because in those instances you should be less focused on firing and hitting, and more focused on covering ground.

If you don't own a treadmill, I don't recommend this technique at the gym.

12. ERICTHEROJO

ERICTHEROJO Member

chicago
    We were taught that you can't move any faster than you would safely walk with a mug of hot coffee. The other trick is to walk by rolling your feet (heel-out step-toes).

Splode likes this.
  13. Michael Rosa

Michael Rosa Active Member

Califon
    Again back to speedsofters. This is why you see them often with shorter stocks.

14. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Well-Known Member

Drexelhill
  15. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    1. Move using heal to toe foot movement.
    2. Pull weapon tight into shoulder.
    3. Focus on front sight.
    4. Focus on front sight.

16. fred_ditto

fred_ditto Well-Known Member

Des Moines
    As someone who did marching band all 4 years of high school (cringy, I know) roll-stepping is both quiet and very stable.

-Spitfire- and SkyPhant0m like this.
  17. Tacticool Tuna

Tacticool Tuna New Member

No I'm a little late but there is something you can do equipment wise to mitigate this. 1. Get a good 2 point sling. Slingster way of the gun, Vickers two point, etc. 2. If it is properly set up to you ( regular guy training has a great video on sling setup and I highly recommend watching the whole video). The sling can be used as a brace by snugging into your shoulder and back and support hand elbow creating three points of contact. Combining this with a fore grip should stabilize your front end control while staying mobile. Oh on foregrips if your running a m16 or other full length style rifle go with an afg as far forward as you can run it comfortably. If you run a shorter setup m4, mk18, pdw or such go with a vertical fore grip again as far forward as possible.