Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line for either a T238 high-speed high-torque motor or a Classic Army Max M3 Red high torque motor, I have never tested either of them so I don't know which one to go for. I need the higher TPA possible. The manufacturer declares that the T238 is 20tpa. I don't know about the Classic Army one, could not find any info on the TPA. If anyone knows the TPA for the Classic Army one I would really appreciate. I know that T238 makes brushless motors and some people prefere them over the Warheads.

· Registered
548 Posts
Here we go;

That motor is OEM’d by Chihai. I’m about 97% sure that it’s a 19T 28K model. If you’re paying more than $40 plus shipping you’re overpaying. You can go on the Chihai factory store on Aliexpress, pick out the exact same motor, and get it for $30 with $8 shipping. I mean the literal exact model.

I don’t know anything about the T238, but here’s my recommendation:

Either go to the Chihai store and pick out the exact TPA you want (seriously, they have everything), and get it for $40 total, or, Guges MK3 sells Arcturus Neo motors for $32 shipped (last I checked). He may or may not have short type in stock, but he has 19 TPA and 21 TPA.

The one caveat to buying from Guges is that some of the motors do not have the motor spring, in which case you get $2 off and just use the one from the motor already in your gun.

I have one of the 19T versions. Works great.

However if you find a good eBay deal, jump on it. I have a very nice Tienly 40K that I grabbed for $40 used and works awesome.

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
What kind of spring / setup are you planning? Haven't used either of the two mentioned but I've not heard good things about T238 motors.

G&G basilisk is an option, 24tpa w/ neos and dirt cheap (~$25). Criminally under appreciated motor. Would suggest swapping the pinion for an SHS O type - the G&G pinion has a somewhat harsh profile, sounds icky with SHS gearsets etc. 15k on 7.4v, 23k on 11.1v, 30k on 14.8v

Frankentorque is an option as well, harvest a high tpa armature from an old ferrite motor and toss it into an SHS HT can etc. I have a Chaoli 28tpa armature in a can with shimmed neos, only 18k on 11.1v but unbelievable amount of torque.

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
CA motors are not good...never have been.

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would be taking one of the 2 motors listed on a trade for other stuff that I have, I would not have to pay for them, that is why those are my only two options. I would rather go for a 26tpa or 28tpa motor for my build if I were paying, it would be the best match for my gears and battery, but I don't want to lose the opportunity of trading for stuff that I don't use. I've guessed the CA motor would not be worth and just a rebrand of a Chihai motor, but what about the T238? I have heard good things about them.

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of spring / setup are you planning? Haven't used either of the two mentioned but I've not heard good things about T238 motors.

G&G basilisk is an option, 24tpa w/ neos and dirt cheap (~$25). Criminally under appreciated motor. Would suggest swapping the pinion for an SHS O type - the G&G pinion has a somewhat harsh profile, sounds icky with SHS gearsets etc. 15k on 7.4v, 23k on 11.1v, 30k on 14.8v

Frankentorque is an option as well, harvest a high tpa armature from an old ferrite motor and toss it into an SHS HT can etc. I have a Chaoli 28tpa armature in a can with shimmed neos, only 18k on 11.1v but unbelievable amount of torque.
Could you specify what bad things have you heard about the T238 motors? I am really leaning towards the trade for this one.

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here we go;

That motor is OEM’d by Chihai. I’m about 97% sure that it’s a 19T 28K model. If you’re paying more than $40 plus shipping you’re overpaying. You can go on the Chihai factory store on Aliexpress, pick out the exact same motor, and get it for $30 with $8 shipping. I mean the literal exact model.

I don’t know anything about the T238, but here’s my recommendation:

Either go to the Chihai store and pick out the exact TPA you want (seriously, they have everything), and get it for $40 total, or, Guges MK3 sells Arcturus Neo motors for $32 shipped (last I checked). He may or may not have short type in stock, but he has 19 TPA and 21 TPA.

The one caveat to buying from Guges is that some of the motors do not have the motor spring, in which case you get $2 off and just use the one from the motor already in your gun.

I have one of the 19T versions. Works great.

However if you find a good eBay deal, jump on it. I have a very nice Tienly 40K that I grabbed for $40 used and works awesome.
That is what I've imagined, just a rebrand of a Chihai motor. I have bought from them in the past, I bought a Gold motor for my AEP and it is pretty good, I was impressed. The deal that I have is for a trade, for one of those 2 motors listed, that is why those are my only 2 options, I don't want to lose the opportunity to get rid of stuff I don't use and not pay for the motor.

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
Quite frankly...never heard of that motor or brand in the 24 years I have been in Airsoft.

· Registered
755 Posts
Here is the link for the T238 motor T238
It is listed as 20tpa, but should't a 29k motor with N35 magnets have a lower tpa?
This is a good example of why TPA and RPM aren't the only indicators of a motor's performance. Alas, they tend to be the only things advertised for most motors...bottom line: not all motors are created equal, even ones advertised with similar RPM and/or TPA.

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Without unwinding the armature, not really. You can kinda guess based on the no load rpm and referencing other motors, but tolerances and build quality can hopelessly skew results. I'm collecting data on this right now as it happens, will be posting a thread later this week measuring rpm at different voltages, how much current each draws, tpa, efficiency, etc.

Haven't personally handled one yet (T238) but the few folks I know who have indicated average to poor performance in comparison to similar spec motors. Their brushless for example has less torque and draws more amps that a simular spec Warhead according to a friend who did a side by side.

Of the two I'd probably take the chihai since it at least is a known performer. If you're looking for a really high torque motor, these aren't great options imo.

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Without unwinding the armature, not really. You can kinda guess based on the no load rpm and referencing other motors, but tolerances and build quality can hopelessly skew results. I'm collecting data on this right now as it happens, will be posting a thread later this week measuring rpm at different voltages, how much current each draws, tpa, efficiency, etc.

Haven't personally handled one yet (T238) but the few folks I know who have indicated average to poor performance in comparison to similar spec motors. Their brushless for example has less torque and draws more amps that a simular spec Warhead according to a friend who did a side by side.

Of the two I'd probably take the chihai since it at least is a known performer. If you're looking for a really high torque motor, these aren't great options imo.
Ok, thanks. I would imagine their brushless performs poorer than the Warheads, but their price point is way lower. I know that the connectors on the Warheads are thin and snap easily, and the T238s have very thick and stronger connectors.

I know I should look elsewhere, but after spending thousands of dollars on airsoft, I promised my wife I would at least get rid of the huge pile of stuff that I have laying around, and I bought a new barrel and bucking on Friday, because I am worthless. I really want to trade stuff for the motors since I have the option.

I was offered another option for trade, it looks like another Chihai rebrand, but at least it is 22tpa, I wonder if it is any good aols-aeg-motor-super-high-torque-long-type-d-hole-p-1669.html

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
~$30 cheaper than the black model, same as the base. I'm told T238 Brushless tabs are ~twice as thick as normal, requires replacing the terminals on your harness (motor comes with 5).

Nothing wrong with being a chihai rebrand - chihai is a OEM, they make motors gearsets pistons etc to spec for various companies to slap a logo on. SHS, Rocket, new King Arms and Classic Army, etc, all ChiHai. Guges could tell you better, but in airsoft there's sort of an inverted pyramid where there appears to be many brands to choose from on the surface, but if you start looking at where the parts are actually made there's just handful of OEMs supplying the whole market.

AOLS motors I've had no experience with / haven't heard anything.

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
~$30 cheaper than the black model, same as the base. I'm told T238 Brushless tabs are ~twice as thick as normal, requires replacing the terminals on your harness (motor comes with 5).

Nothing wrong with being a chihai rebrand - chihai is a OEM, they make motors gearsets pistons etc to spec for various companies to slap a logo on. SHS, Rocket, new King Arms and Classic Army, etc, all ChiHai. Guges could tell you better, but in airsoft there's sort of an inverted pyramid where there appears to be many brands to choose from on the surface, but if you start looking at where the parts are actually made there's just handful of OEMs supplying the whole market.

AOLS motors I've had no experience with / haven't heard anything.
Yeah, there is definitely that pyramid, very hard to make a smart choice, that is why it is fundamental to have a forum like AS for us to discuss

1 - 20 of 28 Posts