Ares AW 338?

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by KC17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. KC17

KC17 Guest

Hey people, i have been looking for a nice gas sniper for a while now and i stumbled upon the Ares AW 338 (CNC version). It looks very nice but I have heard very mixed things about it. If anyone has it, it would be nice if you could submit your opinion on it. i also wanted to know if there were any upgrades for it, it seems to shoot pretty slow. Oh and if anyone knows the FPS, Ares website says 350-380FPS but all the other websites say higher. So yepps thats about all just wondering what your opinions were on this rifle... OH and one more thing i wanted to know, are there any threades for an adaptor for a silencer?
    THANKS

2. KC17

KC17 Guest

anyone have any other gas snipers they would recomend?

3. snosnipe

snosnipe New Member

Ares aw 338

Sorry if this is too late of a reply, but I have this gun. It is amazing. Shoots very fast (over 400 fps), and the accuracy is amazing. I can hit a can from across my yard 9/10 times. The folding stock, bipod, and monopod are all great features to a near perfect sniper rifle. I have had it for around 2 months and have no complaints.

4. czorrilla

czorrilla New Member

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    I recently bought one of those, because of the weather here in Dominican Republic (25-29 celcius this days, next months is going to be even hotter) I get 550fps with madbull 0.20 and propane. It uses regular AEG Barrel and hup-up, so those are the upgrades you can do, besides buying the CO2 magazine, something I will do in the future. I have no answer about the silencer since I have not thought about it, and I can tell you that last sunday I hit a guy at about 150-190 feet and he didn't hear from were the shot came from.

As with any gas rifle there is some inconsistencies, but mine are the first shot (very high fps) and 4 last shots (low fps).

One full filling of gas gives you around 4 mags of bb's.

Today I started to use 0.29 Maruzen Super Grand Master BB's and they have made a difference. In factory condition the rifle shoot as good or better than my upgraded L96 (Well L96, with SCS spacer, Km Head 6.03 inner barrel, upgraded spring, spring guide and piston) but with this bb's I see the difference, so when I get a better and longer inner barrel I think I will get even better results. I use Shredder Concave Spacer in this AW-338 too.

It comes with a 590mm barrel, but can take a 650mm PSG1+ barrel.

I can shoot a man size target at a maximum distance of 250 feet, I might do it even farther but there is no possibility of very much precision. As stated by the Airsoft Trajectory Project, at 190 feet is the effective range I am sure I can hit a guy.

All the units I have stated are confirmed, the fps were chronoed and the distances of 250 feet and 190 feet I mentioned were measured before shooting. My target is a piece of plastic laminate that simulates a guy kneeling or crouched.

5. MLAadam

MLAadam New Member

Also look into Tanaka. If you can find a pre-ban M24 Tactical, your golden. 500-600 with green gas and they can be made to be completely silent.

6. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

hi guys,i bought this gun also and i like it very much. but i still have to calibrate it cause from 30 meters i can not hit not even a 0.33 coke doze. the BB's are going right ,left ...,i don't know really why!!!! somebody say i have to shoot 4-6 mags till the gun will start to work good..!
    Some opinion????? Steve from Hungary!

7. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    you need a tightbore barrel...and your in hungary, the cold weather there could be throwing you fps down way low

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  8. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

i heard 603 it will be goood! is it true?

9. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    603 should be fine. but you will get better accuracy with a 601

10. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

Or 6.01 ,but for AW 338 here in Hungary is no way to find...

11. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

can anyone tell me a website from where can i order 6.01 barrel for AW 338, and also CO2 magazine !!!

12. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    order from evike.com they have them

13. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

Hi.i bought this gun AW338 and i was disappointed cause i could not hit a Coke dose from 30 meters with 0.30 gr BB blaster. But i found somebody in my city who told me he can help setting the gun.He did it.And now i am very happy. It shoots precise and i shoot with 0.28 Natural Perfect spherical BB (bio) for high precision guns.It is exactly what i need.And it shoot with 576 FPS (with green gas).Brutal. :) So one more time, more than satisfied!!!!!!! I recommend it....

14. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

Hi.i bought this gun AW338 and i was disappointed cause i could not hit a Coke dose from 30 meters with 0.30 gr BB blaster. But i found somebody in my city who told me he can help setting the gun.He did it.And now i am very happy. It shoots precise and i shoot with 0.28 Natural Perfect spherical BB (bio) for high precision guns.It is exactly what i need.And it shoot with 576 FPS (with green gas).Brutal. So one more time, more than satisfied!!!!!!! I recommend it....

15. czorrilla

czorrilla New Member

Well SteveBennet, could you please tell us what exactly your friend did?

16. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

Well u probably will laugh, but he changed hop-up and magasine,and he told me to use green gas!
    That's all!

17. czorrilla

czorrilla New Member

Changing the hop-up is reasonable because I changed the bucking for a systema one, put a concave spacer in mine and adjusted the height of the valve where the gas goes out to the chamber. But could you be more specific about what he did to the hop-up, maybe the brand and type and about what was done to the magazine?

I have some plans of making mine shoot more powerful yet, so it will help.

Regards.

18. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

Ok, Czorrilla .., i will ask him..,but i am not shore that he will tell me the secret, cause this is his work and i payd it! But i will ask ,maybe he will help me with infos. Anyway now i gave him my M4 to tune it up to 400 FPS.So i will meet him next monday! All the bests!

19. sidub

sidub New Member

chelmsford
    Modifications i made to my AW 338

I have one of these and i have had a few problems tbh, i bought it from new at a weekend event and started using it but it was so random with its shoots i soon stopped and reverted back to my Classic army work horse aeg, i digress, any way i put it away for a long time out of love with it until very recently, when i decided i would give it another go. With the weekender looming very near again, i thought if i bought myself a tight bore barrel this may fix it, and after some research it was sugested that a new hop up rubber and 'nub' were in order too, i stripped my gun down and indeed the rubbers on both were very sub standard, on putting the gun back together i then found it was unable to even fire a BB!! AARRGGHHH so i took it to the shop the next day to see what was sugested....
    At the shop i fitted the madbull 6.03 tightbore barrel (650mm!), new hop up which luckily came with a new nub, one of those ones that nips the bb before fireing it, not got it ot hand if im honset so cant tell you the make, then re-assembled the gun... 93 FPS on the chrono with a .20 BB, WTF i thought, that should have fixed it??? (thought i had nipped tha barrel to much when i tightened the locator screws when i re-assembled her, that making the barrel oval and jamming the BB's) after some playing about we found that the MAG was lose and not making a good seal, and the trigger hammer that realised the gas wasnt striking the gas realease enough to let enough out, the shop assistant didnt want to help much as it wasnt booked in for a 'service job' so i took it home to tinker with.
    I found later that the mag comes aprat very easy, just slide the bottom plate off and the inner gas gubbings come out, there was some play in this so i packed it with a folded (3 times) up piece of plastic cut from a 2lt bottle of pepsi, this is thenwedged inbetween the bottom metal plate and the gas gubbings, this has certainly solved the problem of the gas seal but the mag is still lose, i will be adding a peice of elasticated ribbon or something to hold the mag in perfect, the problem being that the metals used in the construction are quite soft and so wear down after not many uses, my gun shoots very far now, accross the width of our local cricket pitch with ease and with a .35 BB, without holding up the mag, i will add a slither of a washer glued to the top of the gas realease, just to give it that extra, but if im honest im happy with it now.

Im glad i bought this gun, it still turns heads, everyone comments on it, and the fact it is sold out every where makes it even better.

Im looking forward to using it now i have solved some issues with it.

20. SteveBennet

SteveBennet New Member

glad to hear that "Sidub", it is a realy nice and good sniper gun! when i go to play in the weekends ,and i take it out from the car,guys are looking at me.......with eyes like they are saying: ****...we are finished..! I like that expression!!!!! I dont know how to get a CO2 magazine cause from my country it is very difficult ,more than that ,impossible!!! Can someone give me advices? I wrote to EVIKE but nobody answers to my mails and i wrote to 5 different persons!!! Thank u!