AS-01 Striker: just for funnies

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Jeffrey E Blaisdell, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Jeffrey E Blaisdell

Jeffrey E Blaisdell Member

Little Canada
    The following is an AS-01 that I got in a trade with the nice fluted barrel. The Barrel volume on it is not great for anything too heavy bbs. So I did some modding.. and some more modding and... maybe too much?

Parts list
    X1 fluted outer barrel cut to length.
    X2 fine AEG shim (resolve play in Hopup arm)
    X6 thick aeg shims for trigger box sear and trigger)
    X1cut down 6.03mm barrel crowned
    X2 Allen screws with head ( for easy adjustment of the Hopup and trigger travel).
    X1 custom aluminum bar (hand filed bent, drilled and finished to shape).
    X1 m4 ergo rail section
    X1 domed Allen screw with locking but
    X1 maple leaf decepticon 70 degree bucking
    X1 generic scope and rings

The metal bar is just scrap aluminum that I had lying around and a spare bit of optic rail. I cut the barrel down from the long version to just over what it would need to support a 300mm inner barrel. It has electrical tape shims on it x4. Maybe a bit much but the inner barrel is not going anywhere.

I wanted to improve the Hopup so I found a longer screw with a head that should be adjustable with the scope on the gun. I also used Aeg shims to keep both sides of the arm centered. For the screw head to fit down in the rail I did have to do some dremeling.

The nuts that the trigger box uses to keep the trigger and sear travel in alignment are very loose. I used tape to shim them. To see if it would be worth epoxying. I love the trigger sear simplicity if not it’s funtction... it’s a little clunky. I wish I had the right grinding set up and some chunks of tool steel. I would just make my own. I could do it with my vice and file set up but it would take a while.
    12F1B230-168A-46FC-A96F-704C8945EA1D.jpeg 6776C36F-37C4-43B7-864B-39453DF56BB3.jpeg 0873D3CB-34A4-437F-935C-DBDD0D4F71B6.jpeg E08D5059-EA45-45AA-9F70-E337424D47EF.jpeg EF488883-4FDA-49DE-9985-3292A333A7D4.jpeg 744C6965-B59F-4CD3-AA84-3B66916322CF.jpeg

I suppose I could paint the bar black. But I was thinking of making this gun more winter worthy with a snow camouflage paint job. Not sure yet. What color should I paint it?

2. 1tonne

1tonne Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    What are the joules on it? And also what joule were you wanting?

3. Jeffrey E Blaisdell

Little Canada
    It its shooting 395ish with .30 gram so thats what 2.2, 2.3 joules? This is with an m150 spring by Raptors. I played with it in the 18 degree weather and had some inconsistency. It really needs .40 gram pellets. I was using .36g Valken. I had a few odd flyers, part of it was trouble seeing my white pellets in a snowy place. But it was mostly great. I had no problem getting a few people in the opening game I used it in. I will confess that I am a novice when it comes to snipers. Getting the hop up doped in is pretty crucial and my new screw adjuster needs some lock tight or Teflon tape to make the adjustment harder to spin. I thing my screw is looser than I would like. The scope pictured was not ultimately the one that I used on the 9th, but the one pictured will be going back on the next time I go out. I know that the next larger level upgrade that I will be getting for the thing will be the action army hop up. After that potentially a barrel. The cut and crowned barrel that I slapped in there is decent but I would prefer a prommy or laylax. I will tweak it a bit more. Before I get anything else a scope bubble level will be one that thing.

Once I am comfortable with platform, next purchase this guy.
    https://www.evike.com/products/76664/

I know that higher quality parts in snipers can help with bolt pull. The pull on this thing is a little gross. I blame the abs sleeve they have in the receiver.

4. 1tonne

1tonne Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    The Striker has an incredibly low cylinder volume. If you want to make the rifle into an extra powerful one you would need to get a cylinder with a larger volume. I think Edgi sells one but it costs a lot.

5. Jeffrey E Blaisdell

Little Canada
    That’s part of why I did the cut down job. I did the math and it’s not VSR 10 3:1 or more ratio with a 300mm barrel it’s more like 2.5 with the striker.

There is a sniper forum post a guy made that had it listed as-01 as 1.2:1 but that didn’t make sense to me. I did some math. A lot of math. If I used his ratio multipled by the barrel volume u get a number that is smaller than an AEG cylinder volume which the striker is larger than (u can use aeg orings and spring and the piston is longer than an AEGs).

Now I don’t know what this gentleman used for his math but I sent him a message to ask him. I may have certainly made a mistake. However I don’t want to see a potentially good rifle poopooed.

Using the AEG volume as a baseline I calculate that a 540mm inner barrel should have 1.8:1 ratio to that stock Aeg size under what the ares has. I mean with .36g I am reaching up to that 2.3 joule mark. I won’t be using .45s or heavier. I may be able to get away with .40g

I will put my math up in a separate post.

here is the original post I found.

https://snipermechanics.com/amoeba-striker-as01-air-volume-how-to-make-it-more-efficient/

I also disagree with the above post because this upgrade kit in the below post has the barrel volume listed before and after and it’s a much bigger number vs the cubic mm u get from the sniper forum numbers.

https://hpairsoft.ca/product/edgi-nemo/

6. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 New Member

Pittsburgh area
    Hello I'm new:) , I really Like that, I always liked guns with homemade parts. I'm trying to think of how to work some blacksmith in to gun. Cool stuff:)

Jeffrey E Blaisdell likes this.
  7. BeansOnToast

BeansOnToast Member

Seattle
    Hey, nice to see new members! (I'm a new member myself).

Do you mean steampunk?

8. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 New Member

Pittsburgh area
    Maybe ? Im a blacksmith and I'm thinking of making a stock or something or just making iron fittings to jazz up something with a wood stock like a vsr clone.

9. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 New Member

Pittsburgh area
  10. BeansOnToast

BeansOnToast Member

Seattle
    That sounds cool. It would be interesting to try

11. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 New Member

Pittsburgh area
    Could do some stuff sadly I need brass copper or steel,
    Most airsoft is zinc or aluminum alloy which melts not bend. So I'd have to make it from stock. Well if anyone has an idea for one of there projects contact me ill see if I can do something. Till I get a few guns I can't .:/

12. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 New Member

Pittsburgh area
    I just got a plasma cutter as well over Xmas could do lots of cool stuff with that . well looks like I got some shopping to do good bye covid check∆~∆

13. Jeffrey E Blaisdell

Little Canada
    I may try these out as hand made angled foregrips. I think they will look better than the optic rail once I sand blast and paint. The top one I was thinking of as a thumb catch but maybe not. The bottom one is surprising comfy. It’s mounted for keymod now but I can just bolt it onto my existing aluminum. There is a limit as mentioned earlier. Aluminum can’t bend without breaking past a certain point. A curved design is the best I can do. Though. With the right set up I could bolt a few pieces together to make shapes that would otherwise be impossible.
    7CD00F94-A303-486E-950F-B1877AE846A7.jpeg B21025FE-BDDE-4799-A6FF-58C4904405EC.jpeg ECFA7D31-1886-44B1-B54C-9E79341BA57C.jpeg

GrimWolf0770 likes this.
  14. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 New Member

Pittsburgh area
    Hmmmm I interesting, what is the wrench thing called that your using?

15. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 New Member

Pittsburgh area
    Now I want to go make something , I could make a bipod and twist the steel then blacken with oil or wax.
    Maybe on a ww2 style gun like a mosin or a lever gun.

That looks really cool,;)

16. Jeffrey E Blaisdell

Little Canada
    They are called bending Irons. U need a vice to use them.

17. Jeffrey E Blaisdell

Little Canada
    I mean depending on the metal thickness. I can do some bending without the vice, but it really helps.

18. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 New Member

Pittsburgh area
    I got 4 vices:) 2anvil 2 forges around 40 hammers .....ok I'm just showing off lol ,
    ill have to get a few they would really help .