Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
Did you know some long time HPA users are going back to AEG not that some makers have upped their game? Ares not being one of them though...

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
To each their own...but let it be known an Airsoft HPA "God" has fallen back to the land of AEG's...

· Registered
743 Posts
Guges, I know that the quality of some of the aegs are up there now. And I won’t hold it against anyone who wants to run them. But, the things that drew me to HPA are still not found in the AEG lines yet, and guessing from the overall design of aegs; can’t be corrected 100%. I have purchased 3 different aegs over my years of playing(though not as long as you, or as involved. I’ve been playing for about 13 years now) and I just don’t like them. I love my GBB stuff, but it’s also has it’s drawbacks.
My reasons for HPA over AEG:

1) simple and easy adjustment of velocity
the places I play have a large difference in FPS. jumping from 320 fps w/.20 to 400 fps w/.2os with a turn of a hex key
quick change springs may be an alternative, but as a father of 2(one of which is special needs) I don’t want to take the time to have to change springs. If I have time to play, I want to just get there and play.

2) No scratchy gear/motor sounds.
I know that aegs are getting quieter, and even noticed that the v3 box is quieter than the v2 box. Even the V3 box makes too much noise for my liking.

3) no batteries(mostly)
All but one of my HPA setups are mechanical setups. So I don’t have to worry about if I remembered to charge my batteries when I show up, or if it’s too cold out to get the performances I expect(this is also why I don’t use my GBB stuff as much either.

to each their own, though. So I don’t hold any grudges between the platforms. I own them all. I just don’t play with the electric guns Much.

· Registered
326 Posts
I enjoy the tech side of airsoft as much as playing airsoft. HPA is like paintball, nothing to tinker with. You buy HPA and that is that, it just works. I could train a monkey to install HPA units. That is no fun to me. I like building/fixing stuff. There is a sense of pride and accomplishment to that. I can build a DSG that is just as effective as an HPA gun. I like having different guns for different situations, I get to build them. HPA guys can use one gun to do everything if they wanted to. HPA is like buying a puzzle that is already put together because you just like the picture. Cant be bothered to put it together. Not the best analogy, but that is how it feels to me. Besides the BIG money and having to carry a tank with a line connecting the gun to your body, HPA is great. From a performance and reliability standpoint anyway. It is just boring to me personally.

· Registered
743 Posts
I agree that fixing/building things is rewarding. I just choose to focus that on my instruments and motorcycles, which also don’t get to be worked on enough.

But to the OP, my opinion for this would still be HPA. Because I’m bypassed. :p:D

· Registered
Heavy BBs, Feel Good Farms
106 Posts
I rock HPA because of the time it takes me to get to a field, and if my gun was busted I'd be out at least $40 in gas, and most of my day.

If you've got a lot of guns then I'd say AEGs are just fine, but if you just have a sniper, MK23, and M4 like I do, HPA is kinda the best choice. From a cost standpoint I'd say HPA can be comparable for price to a high end AEG, but should always perform better.
With all that being said, if you like buying parts and fixing guns, just put a spoonful of sand in your air line or plug in a 14.8 and get ready for some fun.

· Premium Member
356 Posts
HPA is like paintball, nothing to tinker with. You buy HPA and that is that, it just works
Freed up from tinkering with the drive train you have more time to explore various nubs, bucking/packing, hop-ups, and inner barrel applications to finely tune. There's also just different things to tinker and tune. For example, depending on the engine the solenoid(s) need to be adjusted to maximize your setup. Sure, you can just drop an engine in and be done with it just like you can just buy a Combat Machine and be done with it.

HPA guys can use one gun to do everything if they wanted to.
If you want your tool be like one of those all-in-one toaster ovens which do lots of things mediocre but no one thing great. See above as to why you need different applications for running an HPA set up tuned for a CQB environment versus a DMR versus rifleman. Sure an HPA tuned for one of those could be used for any of those but the results will be meh.

Besides the BIG money
Most dudes that have built finely tuned DSGs have spent as much or more on their sports car AEG. It just death by a thousand cuts instead of eating the cost all at once.

· Registered
Heavy BBs, Feel Good Farms
106 Posts
You can just buy brass inner barrels and cheap buckings, and bend them and stab them with a screwdriver whenever your gun it working too well. Gearboxes are thirsty, give them a drink of soda.

· Registered
326 Posts
Why do people think DSG builds cost more and have more issues? Only difference between a SSG and DSG is the sector gear and spring. I have a DSG that used the most expensive parts available at the time, $1200 for everything including the VFC base gun. That includes all the external parts as well, flashlight, stock, foregrip, etc... A finely tuned DSG can be made for the same price as a finely tuned SSG. I have people tell me all the time "DSGs are expensive and need a lot of maintenance" Not sure where that comes from. You can spend as much as you want, but more money does not mean more good. When people do spend a lot on builds they tend to go DSG vs SSG. Guess that makes it seem like the DSG builds cost more. I turned 15 of our rental combat machines into DSGs and have not had an issue yet after 2 years. Just shimmed, SHS DSG, SP140, Perun, SHS piston, done. So I don't know why people think they are less reliable. Probably because people don't know what they are doing and build them terribly. The best preforming AEG I have has less than $300 into it. Old Lancer Tactical (OEM by Lonex) cheap boneyard gun, Gate Titan, SHS DSG, SP150... It keeps up indoors vs any of the HPA guys.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts