Airsoft Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Premium Member
811 Posts
I have to say I am a solid AEG guy. I can see benefits for both, but I love tinkering and all the customization options for AEG. Although if you play regularly and only want one gun, get a good HPA and it should last ~forever. It won't strip out after 50k rounds.

· Registered
9 Posts
I like that hand pump quite a lot, I take it with me when I go play, but I use my 6 year old Yong Heng compressor to fill beforehand as it's easy and a little faster.

You can get into HPA if you use an AliExpress regulator, make an air line out of AliExpress HPA fittings and air line, and don't get a dumb engine. The N7 and Mancraft engines are good and cheap, with the Jack being the next best engine. The Wolverine engines, F1, F2, and Fusion aren't really worth it unless you can get them cheap, but buying a used engine can be a bit of a gamble sometimes, especially when you get it from a younger person who plays speedsoft, as their engines tend to have been bought used a couple times before you do. But yeah, say $250 for a Mancraft shipped, don't remember the exact price, but close. Air line can be had for $15 or so if you just use normal line and cheap fittings, and an okay tank can be had for $60. Get aluminum, definitely don't get steel. Regulator is another $45 on AliExpress, and there you are, HPA setup for $370 without buying used. You won't have full auto, but that's really not a big con when your trigger isn't connected to a motor. Compare that to a decent MOSFET, gears, piston, motor, cylinder, cylinder head, nozzle, batteries, charger, and whatever else, and you're not far, or maybe even over depending on what you get. You can pay $500 for a setup all at once, or $500 over a longer period of time, and have a $500 AEG that will very likely not be as good as the HPA gun.

As for high end builds, you can max out both, but the HPA may actually be cheaper if you have your senses about you and don't buy a Fusion Engine or Wolverine engine, and don't get a Retro Arms gearbox to hold your engine.

I've come to realize that it's difficult to get into airsoft and have a good time for less than $400 after helping my friend start, as there's so many bad guns and batteries you can buy, and most guns I've used just kind of suck to use. Not saying HPA is better, but airsoft isn't as cheap as people make it out to be if you need to buy mags, gear, charger, batteries, BBs, field fee, gas, and all that. May be hard to hear for some, but it's better than spending $150 on a sniper and then never playing again, and having wasted $150 plus whatever else you spent.
Good post but question: you’d still need a gun and pump/compressor right so add another $200-400+

· Registered
Heavy BBs, Feel Good Farms
106 Posts
Good post but question: you’d still need a gun and pump/compressor right so add another $200-400+
Well I'm not really counting stuff you'd be buying regardless of what power source you chose, and you can spend as little or as much on a body as you like.

Hand pump is like $50, which is the price of 1.5-2 batteries or a decent charger, and they'll be perfectly fine for 3K tanks or a really small 4.5K tank. Filled my 90/4500 by hand once, took a week, and I had a compressor in my possession a month later. For anything below 62CI at 3K you'll be fine, and you'll get a good workout.

Obviously you can get into AEGs cheaper, but in the mid to high end level HPA will look more appealing for sure. Also good if the gun is sick but the inside sucks, like an Ares or something. I don't know much about brands, but I'm pretty sure Ares is kinda trash inside.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts