AUG Magazine Issues

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by AUGman2016, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AUGman2016

AUGman2016 New Member

Saint Paul
    Hello all, I love my AUG, she is and will always be my baby, but sadly I have had to use her less due to some magazine issues.

First and smallest of issues, the mags only hold 75 rounds, which a isn't a deal breaker, but it's a little less than I had wished.

They are also a royal pain to load sometimes. I have broken like 3 speedloaders trying to put in more than 40 (and I'd rather not be ultra realistic and only have 30 rounds per mag). I have a feeling that the problem could be that the follower is too long and gets stuck turning the corner.

But my biggest problem is that the force of a full magazine pushes the magazine away from the feeding tube. In case you aren't aware, AUG style rifles hold the magazine by a catch on the backside of the magazine. So with all of the force of the spring pushing upwards, this causes the magazine to rock backwards and then not release bbs as the tiny release nub button thing on magazines isn't released.

To try and fix this I have added electrical tape to the inside of the magwell where the magazine seats to try and prevent it from rocking, but this simply keeps the magazine farther away from the feeding tube.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this issue? One thing that could work would be to cut a hole in the side of the magwell and create a rocker lever that would hold the mag at the side rather than the back, but I do not have that skill. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What brand is your AUG magazines? I use King Arms midcaps and Classic Army hicaps in my JG AUG (and in my CA AUG back when it was alive), and I don't have any issues like you describe. I presume you have checked that the plate with the feeding tube in the mag well is seated properly in the rails inside the body?

I have actually been able to get my KA midcaps and CA hicaps to feed as high as 51rps, with an SSG setup. No other mags I have, has come close to that.

3. AUGman2016

AUGman2016 New Member

Saint Paul
    I have no idea what brand they are. I got a box of 8 from someone off of eBay. I have never found any online that list them with the capacity they have. They are the translucent brown with a black baseplate. I'll try the hi-cap that came with the rifle later and see if it persists. It is buried somewhere.

4. Lefse

It's possible that they are a low quality brand. If you decide to replace them, I can highly recommend King Arms midcaps, I'm extremely happy with mine.

5. AUGman2016

AUGman2016 New Member

Saint Paul
    I tried my hi-cap and it worked just fine, cycling rounds all normally in all of it's AUG glory. Is there any way to tell what brand the mags are?

6. Lefse

The brand is often stamped on the body somewhere, commonly on the base plate, but not all brands put their name on the mags. Sounds like the mags were the culprit anyway, so a set of new high quality mags should do the trick.

7. E135

E135 Active Member

I can vouch for King Arms magazines. I don't have an aug, but their M4 magazines are hard to beat. I got mine for like $60 for a box of 10.

8. AUGman2016

AUGman2016 New Member

Saint Paul
    Thanks so much fellas, I'll look into a new set of mags.