AUG Modifications

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Splode, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Anyone here who has ever owned/used a Steyr AUG knows that they are great guns with one exception (edit* two. I forgot the trigger). They are cursed with a cool looking but horribly shoddy, wobbly fore-grip.
    This is a cover/guide on the steps I took to replace this.
    IMG_0856.JPG
    There have been numerous attempts to remedy this grip, both by reinforcing it and by filling its hollow plastic with something to quiet the spring and make it feel more solid. I even went to the extremes of rubber coating it multiple times with multiple products, all of which were still not much of an improvement. Most people just end up taking the confounded thing off if it doesn't break off on its own.
    Mind you, not all AUGs use this fore-grip. The ASG xs and the TM highcycle in particular have a rather solid rail on which theirs is mounted.
    Now, I like the A2 in looks and functionality, so after a year of trying to find a decent fix, I finally found it. I had noticed for a long time that the rail used on the CQB AUGs is on a very similar bracket to the A2. I loved the idea of having a solidly mounted rail so I set out to try to find one...
    Not an easy task.:(:confused:
    Both ASG and TM do not sell theirs and didn't have any in the extra parts bin. There is basically no way to get one except off of a boneyard gun. I finally found a 10 yr old kid selling a broken ASG at my local field.
    Long story short (somewhat shorter), I offered him 20 bucks for the rail and another 20 for 5 midcap mags.:cool:
    VVV
    IMG_2108.JPG

The bracket was indeed very similar looking. However, when i tried putting it on my gun it just didn't fit flush and the holes for the pin were nowhere near each other..
    VVV
    IMG_2109.JPG

Apparently the AUGs with the folding grip are made to have an extra little piece of metal on the bracket as circled in the pic below. This piece of metal reinforces the cheap folding grip when it is down (I think?).
    VVV
    IMG_2105.JPG

Not wanting to remove this piece in case I ever want to sell the gun or put the old grip back on for some unheard of reason, I decided to drill a hole in the new rail in which the metal flange could sit. The rail backing turned out to be pretty tough which was actually a pleasant surprise and an improvement over the industry standard pot metal I had been expecting. I used a rotary tool with a drill bit and got through it with a bit of time and effort.
    VVV
    IMG_2110.JPG

This made the pieces fit together a lot better, but still not perfect and the pin holes still didn't quite line up perfectly.
    After grinding of a bit of metal here, here, and here, I was able to tap the pin into place.
    VVV
    IMG_2107.JPG

I managed to scratch the pin up a bit tapping it in, but it works like a charm. Absolutely no wobble. It makes the whole gun feel really solid, and that's without even adding a grip yet. Most noticeable to me is the lack of creaking and spring sound coming from the old wobbly grip. Feels like I always dreamed it would.
    I'm in heaven.:rolleyes:
    VVV
    IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2123.JPG

Congrats to anyone who made it to the bottom of this. ;)
    To anyone looking to do this mod and lucky enough to find the rail, feel welcome to pm me with any questions. I will admit that getting the pin holes to match up took a decent amount of time trying to figure out where to grind. It looks like the holes on these things are drilled by hand when it is on the original gun so there is no uniformity to where the hole sits. :confused: That explains why the part is not available from the manufacturer as a replacement :mad:

PS. I'm still not sure what kind of grip would be good now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't decide if a short grip would be better since the rail sits lower now. Maybe even a folding one if i could find one that folds forward.

Cheers!

2. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    I've always wondered why no one's tried to install real steel AUG parts, like this grip, as they should have much better construction than the airsoft variants.

Nice job btw.

3. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    First off, always nice to see some simple mods that really improve a gun's handling. I know the feeling of wanting stock-only parts, too; I've got an MC51 coming and I would just love to get the handguard VFC uses on their MP5s to replace the plain mp5 one on there, but no such luck.

Second, look into the Strike Industries Cobra grip. It's my preferred foregrip/AFG. Very comfortable mounted in either direction.

Also been pondering a bit of retrofitting on my UAR. The pistol grip on it makes my hand cramp after too long, so I was strongly considering chopping it and using a spare AK grip I have laying around.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good job on that mod, I do hate that particular rail though, but that's just me. What I did with the foregrip on my AUG was to re-glue it together with epoxy glue, I removed the plastic fastener for the spring and screwed in and glued a steel hook. Then I shimmed the "hinge" section and got rid of some of the wobble. It still has that spring sound, but it's more robust now at least.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  5. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    You got a guide on that?

6. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    The problem isnt so much the grip itself. Its how the grip attaches to the cheesy bracket. The grip itself is solid enough. I could buy the real steel grip and it would still attach loosely and wobble.

7. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    If i read that correctly, you basically secured the grip in place. The main thing i love about the original grip besides the look is the folding function so I wouldnt want to remove that.

BTW, I coated the inside of my original grip with thick rubber cement and it helped a lot with the sound. Also added a bit of weight.

8. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Pretty sure his grip is still foldable.

9. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Hmmm, I tried shimming the grip but the bracket just isnt made to be shimmed. The arms arent parallel to each other. If you look at the round rod on the grip, it actually has a flat part on the part where the hole is. I considered bending the sides of the mount bracket in to make them parallel but i dont want to break the pot metal and it still wouldnt help much unless i changed the rod out for a squared one or something.

10. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    NICE! great to see someone not afraid to drill some metal bits.

BTW: i would suggest a magpul short type grip (chopped RVG)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    -Spitfire- and Splode like this.
  11. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    You can literally shim anything.

12. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    True, but that doesn't mean it helps anything. I did shim it. The first time i used plastic washers. They got chewed in half by folding the grip a few times. Metal shims worked better but made the spring stop working so the grip actually had to be muscled into the position i wanted. As i said, that rod is a bit of a problem the way it is designed. it actually bows inward like )( where the pin hole is. Adding shims to that wedges it and keeps it from sliding properly when you pull down on it to fold it.

13. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    A shim can be pretty much anything. Using a flat shim to correct an angled surface doesn't work... you'd need something that countered the bowing.

14. Lefse

If I remember correctly I actually elongated the holes that the steel pin goes through so its further into the "notch" under the barrel. I did this like a year ago, so can't quite remember the details. I probably posted about it in my build thread.

Shimming might not have been the correct term, I did reduce the slack at least, and it's still foldable. I glued the plastic halves of the grip together, not the "hinge" part.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  15. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    I just cant stand the wobbling. I wish there was a way to lock it down once it is out. Maybe i could drill an additional pin hole and put a small bolt through it or something so it could be secured from 2 points.

16. Lefse

A stronger spring might help as it'll push up harder into the "notch" under the barrel.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  17. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    I still wanna see someone replace the crappy stock externals with real steel parts...

18. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Yeah, i had that thought too, but it still wouldnt fix horizontal wobble. Also, i just dont like the texture of the cheap plastic. As i said, i tried rubberizing it but it would only last a few sessions before it started looking scratched up.
    Oh, and btw, you can fix the spring noise and the hollow rattle by just stuffing the grip with foam. Worked for me.

19. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Im not the one to ask about this, but ive heard people mention that even the real steel gun has a wobbly flimsy feeling grip.

20. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    But do they talk about it breaking? And I'm also talking about using a real steel body.