Average FPS of Airsoft Fields

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by TheGoodfellow, May 10, 2018.

1. TheGoodfellow

TheGoodfellow New Member

Lake Geneva
    Hey,

I'm pretty new to the industry, but I've played paintball for over 10 years (I know there very different). I am trying to figure out what the average fps is for commercial fields? The company I work for is looking to potentially add airsoft to their recreational activities, and we need to figure out the average velocity of guns. Also is it very difficult to change the fps on a airsoft gun? On a paintball gun its just a simple screw that is loosened or tightened. I am looking for answers for every type of gun.. I know it can vary based on the gun, but which is more difficult? Or are they all about the same when it comes to changing the fps? Thanks.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  2. Overwatch97

Overwatch97 Active Member

It varies and usually depends on the average engagement distances of a certain setup.

Generally speaking, on average outdoor fields usually have an FPS limit of around 400 fps for AEGs, with snipers allowed up to 500 fps with a 100 foot minimum engagement distance, which means they can’t be shot at any closer with those weapons. For indoor CQB, the limit is usually around 300-350 FPS, Depending on how tight it is.

All of these measurements are with .20 gram bbs. Heavier BBs, such as an 0.25 for example, which is needed to make a weapon that shoots 370 FPS with a .20 more accurate at range, will decrease the FPS to around 330, (328= 1 Joule) and hopup has to be increased to put more spin on the heavier BB, which also reduces FPS.

Basically, always chrono AEGs with a .20, and chrono HPA guns with a ridiculously heavy BB like a .40 because they have “Joule Creep”, meaning they are less affected by heavier BBs I believe, but I think somebody else who knows more about HPA guns will have to explain that further.

Here a chart of FPS-Joules with different BB weights.

http://www.airsoftmaster.com/fps-chart-for-airsoft-guns/

Topshotz357 and TheGoodfellow like this.

3. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Well-Known Member

Drexelhill
    I agree with everything @Overwatch97 said but I would add that normally I avoid fields in airsoft and paintball that have minimum engagement distance for anything but snipers or if it isn't like 10ft for a normal gun like a gun shooting 400fps with .20g bb and fields that have surrender/bangbang rules that could be abused I would set up your surrender/bangbang rule as a curtisy not a requirement meaning if you yell surrender at me I can still try and shoot you and take the chance of being shot really close up if I so chose to do so
    Also a minimum engagement distance at a indoor field sucks same for surrender or bang rules indoor fields are intended for close combat so it's a turn off to yell bang like we're 5 in the backyard or at thed very least have adult days with both restrictions removed apart from the sniper minimum engagement distance
    As for guns most guns you have to open the entire gun up and work on it to change fps and for Hpa just require a tournament lock after chrono put a ziptie through the lock

Overwatch97 and TheGoodfellow like this.
  4. TheGoodfellow

TheGoodfellow New Member

Lake Geneva
    Awesome. That's an excellent response. I did have a question about fps differences in types on guns, Are they easy to turn down the fps? Is there a huge difference in fps for different types of guns (electric, spring, gas)?

Topshotz357 likes this.
  5. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Normally you can't change fps on airsoft guns without doing work on them "opening the gun up" normally no it's not easy to do without tools this is excluding hpa guns they can change the fps by adjusting the air pressure that's why you need a tournament lock so they can't change the fps

6. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    @BOA_SP3CT3R want to chime in here maybe give a more in-depth answer then I can

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  7. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    @TheGoodfellow check out this site or field currently this is my favorite airsoft field www.softairnj.com
    Also make sure you have good friendly staff who knows airsoft

8. Overwatch97

For AEGs, the springs in the gearbox play a big role, but it is not a quick procedure that could be done easily on the field, unless someone has a quick-change spring styled gearbox. HPA guns are easy but like Topshotz said they need a lock after chrono.

The type of gun doesn’t really matter. Some gas guns can shoot 300 FPS and some AEGs can shoot 500 and vice versa.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  9. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    How about asking your insurance company what they insure up to. Then implement their guidelines for your field.

Example - APL runs a 400fps limit regardless of the BB dispenser type.

MAXIMUM VELOCITIES: 
    Maximum Velocity allowed for .20 BBs (Full Auto) - Close Quarter and Indoor 300 fps, Outdoor 400 fps 

Maximum Velocity allowed for .20 BBs (NO FULL AUTO) - Close Quarter and Indoor 350 fps, Outdoor 400 fps 

Maximum Velocity allowed for .25 BBs (Full Auto) - Outdoor only 350 fps, NO FULL AUTO .25 BBs Indoor 

Maximum Velocity allowed for .25 BBs (NO FULL AUTO) - Close Quarter and Indoor 350 fps

Underwriter approval is required for “Sniper” velocities over 400 fps, NO FULL AUTO Sniper weapons allowed.

There is their app requirement and its cheap...average 5 cents per person a day.

http://paintball-apl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Airsoft-Application-2013.pdf

Topshotz357 likes this.
  10. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    I wish the paintball place near me did this:( When I asked them what their airsoft FPS/joule limits are they said the same as they do for paintball, 275:eek:
    This is enormously helpful: http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/
    TBH what matters more than FPS is joules, the energy. I'd enforce joule limits instead of FPS. It talks more about it in that link, but if we assume 1 joule is safe(pretty much no chance of piercing skin, doesn't hurt that bad), there are different distances at which a BB with a given FPS/joules will go down to 1j.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  11. Overwatch97

Is that 275 limit for an outdoor field?

12. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Everyone could play with TM's then...bring them that APP. Ask them if they want more business and potentially lower their paint insurance costs.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  13. BOA_SP3CT3R

Bull Shoals
    Yup, sadly. I tried to explain how airsoft guns have lower joules than paintball, they said that's what they saw other paintball+airsoft places doing, so that's what they do. They didn't say what weight they chrono with though....maybe 275 w/ .88g....;)

Topshotz357 likes this.
  14. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    WTF 275 fps so basically only AEPs

15. BOA_SP3CT3R

Bull Shoals
    Yeah, pretty much. I then thought "why not just do an ~m160 16tpa 20:1 DSG? They don't have an RPS limit...":D

Topshotz357 likes this.
  16. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    2 days later 15rps limit cuz specter used a 80rps m4 lol

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  17. Overwatch97

Yea that’s what I imagine. Everyone running around with a JG/WELL Skorpion.

BOA_SP3CT3R and Topshotz357 like this.
  18. BOA_SP3CT3R

Bull Shoals
    Haha. That setup would probably be around 45, I could go way higher if I wanted...
    My MP7 would be fine, until I upgrade it more. It's sad if your FPS limit is too low for an AEP....

Topshotz357 likes this.
  19. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    I would guess they won't be testing airsoft by Joules. 275fps with 0.3g or heavier is very playable.

20. Team_Evo

Team_Evo Member

Here is a bit of advice from a field owner.

Outdoor fields typically have a 0 foot engagement distance for rifleman. Meaning weapons like M4's, AK's and so on. Support weapons we all up to 450 fps with a 60ft Minimum Engagement Distance (MED) bexause they are full auto and meant to supress from distance. Anything within 60 ft woukd require the supprt gunner to use his pistol. Snipers, 100 ft MED with a max of about 500 fps.

With HPA always use .30/.32 or higher weight bb's. Lighter weight bbs are inconsistent with their reading. Put some type of tape or ziptie over the regulator after they chrono ao you can spot check to see if they are cheating after you lock the regulator.

Pistols, anything that is a blowback is pretty much a go. Non blowbacks retain more gas and can be up to 550 fps. So chrono pistols if you have the time and patience.

If you go on facebook and search Evolution Airsoft Field the rule set is pinned to the page. I use standard milsim company rules.

C.M.G and Topshotz357 like this.