Averageairsofters upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by averageairsofter, Nov 25, 2012.

1. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    Hey guys I'm going to be getting some money for my birthday on November 30 and I would like to spend it on getting upgrades for my gun. All work will be done at my local airsoft store No Limit Airsoft because they do it for a pretty good price and they do a good job. I'd like to keep it under $60 if possible but I can go up to $90. I want to make a mid-range semi high-speed build. I'm going to be running it on a 9.9 volt 40c 1800 mah LiFe battery and the gun will be my JG M4. I already have a new hop-up bucking because the stock one tore and the one I got is the element 55' bucking. Here's the parts list of things I want to get : shs 13:1 high speed gears, correct AOE, reshim, and get the new hop-up put in. Any reccomendations on other must have things that won't cost me too much? And what kind of rof would I get with this setup? I'm thinking mid 40s but I could be wrong. How many rounds do you see this thing going through before something breaks? Help from experienced techs is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    You may also want a new piston and piston head. I like the Lonex POM head, and you can get a pre swisscheesed Lonex piston from Hivemind Airsoft. I don't think you'd hit in the 40s RPS wise with that, JG motors aren't too fast. You'll probably get low 30s, maybe high 20s depending which JG motor you have. If you switched to a cheaper gearset (ZCI or CORE) you could possibly have enough money to buy a Lonex A1 motor, which would probably get you in the high 30s paired with 13:1 gears. All my RPS estimates are assumptions btw, I've never had experience with a 9.9V life so I'm pretty much averaging an 11.1V and 7.4V lol.

3. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    I expect about 28 RPS at best if you don't use a MOSFET. That's assuming you get a gun with the M42 blue neo magnet motor.

A MOSFET is always a good idea, even if it's just a simple 3034 unit from Disguised Enemy ($18 shipped, email “DE.Innovations AT gmail.com“). Eventually get a Lonex red piston, preferably a lightened one from Hivemind Airsoft, and a Lonex A2 just to round things out.

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lonex 13:1 ratio gear sets does not exist as far as I know, or have you somehow found a genuine Lonex 13:1 ratio gear set? If you have, then I am extremely interested in where you found it.

5. averageairsofter

Menifee
    The battery pretty much puts out the same amount of power as a 25c 11.1 lipo battery. And it is one of the newer neo-magnet balanced motors.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  6. averageairsofter

Menifee
    Sorry I meant shs don't know why I put in lonex, I will fix that in the op, sorry I posted it at like 1:00 in the morning. Are there any other high speed gears that will perform better that are under $30 than the shs?

7. Lefse

Dammit, you got my hopes up, hehe. SHS gears are a gamble these days FYI, 50% of all SHS gear sets I've bought have been lemons, so I'm not buying or recommending SHS gears anymore.

8. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

Have you ever heard of ZCI gears? I saw some on Clandestine and was wondering if they were worth $18, or even reliable.

9. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

They're SHS rebrands I believe.

10. Lefse

I have actually been curious about ZCI for some time, the design is quite different from SHS actually, so I don't think they are SHS rebrands. The sector and spur gear have several differences.

11. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

I'll be buying some soon, or whenever 13:1's come back in stock on Clandestine...

12. averageairsofter

Menifee
    Alright guys I think I'm going to try and put in the new hop-up bucking and nub myself and I was wondering what wheels on the hop-up unit do you have to take off to put a new nub in and how do you remove them? And once you've done that how do you know if you have the nub in right and how do you keep it in place once you do?

13. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    You don't need to take the wheels off. I just take the old nub old by turning my hopup all the way on and taking one of my R/C screwdrivers and tapping it out. Then to put the new one in I lower my hopup all the way and roll the nub down the chamber, while using the screwdriver to try and keep it oriented correctly and then once it's partially in the hole I tap it down with the screwdriver. Getting a nub in is really frustrating, it takes me 10-20 minutes.

14. averageairsofter

Menifee
    Hmm, that's actually a pretty good idea I've never though of that. Has anyone else done this before? So you turn the hop-up all the way off when you put in the new nub? And how can you tell when it's "partially in the hole" and how do you tap it in with a screwdriver?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  15. averageairsofter

Menifee
    I think I will just do it the traditional way it seems like that will be easier. Does anybody know which wheels will need to be removed to pu the nub in?

16. averageairsofter

Menifee
    Alright I've run into a small problem. I put in the new hop-up and nub but I only get the right hop on the bb if the hop-up is all the way turned up. Not really a huge issue right now but I might want to move to heavier bbs later. But aside of that issue the hop-up works really well and gives me some good range. I probably want to get a 6.03 tightbore barrel to increase the close-mid range accuracy and fps a little more, I'm hitting 370 right now so a tightbore should get me to 390-400. Does anybody have experience with the airsoft gi brand 6.03 tbbs? I've been looking at those because they seem to perform well and aren't too expensive. And also does anybody have experience with the h-nub type hop-up nubs because I might grab one of those if they noticably affect range/accuracy because they are only $5.

17. averageairsofter

Menifee
    Hey does anybody have answers to the questions above? ^ Do you think I should get an asgi tbb? Also another issue that I have is that the 9.9v 40c 1800 mah batteries that I got have the connectors on the wrong way :/ so I'll need to remove and resolder those.

18. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    You might need to add a small spacer behind your hop nub, sounds like its too small. Or the bucking nub is too worn out.

Eh. How much are ASGI barrels? Sorry
    I honestly haven't tried then personally. Never saw a point to.
    Suggest Prometheus, Madbull, KM, Guarder, etc

19. averageairsofter

Menifee
    I don't think the bucking is worn out because I just got it a week ago, so the nub must be too small. What do you use for a spacer? And the asgi barrels are $25 which is a good price for a 6.03 barrel, they are made out of steel and I haven't heard anything bad about them, they seem to be pretty high quality and I don't have a lot of cash to deal out for a prometheus or madbull right now. If they aren't that good I'll just stick to the stock one for now.