B-B Wars / Project: Juggernaut

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by BoogerMc, Dec 8, 2012.

1. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Rather than highjack someone else’s thread and because this is a discussion of an ongoing project, I would like to get the opinions of the members, especially those who have played at the larger MilSim events. In the past, I have seen several threads discussing this concept, the Juggernaut suit/EOD suit/Body Armor; in fact, I’ve put my two cents worth in a few of them. Now, I am ready to back those two cents up with a few more bucks.

As many of you know, B-B Wars is a company I started a few years ago, I manufacture tactical gear for Airsoft players, especially custom tactical gear; however, due to forum rules, I cannot openly sell this gear without a vendor’s account. Fortunately, I have discussed this topic with Austin in the past and his ruling was, as long as I do not present the items in a promotional manner; in other words, try to outright sell my products, I can discuss/present various projects.

Therefore, let me make this clear up front, this is strictly a project presentation. I seek only discussion and feedback on the project I am about to present.

That said; I should present a little background for this project to explain how things came about. A few months ago, a friend approached me for a custom piece of tactical gear; he wanted a suit of body armor based on a picture he found on the Internet (see figures 1 and 2). I know it’s from a video game, but I am not a gamer, so I couldn’t tell you which one; however, this is a scaled model of the real thing, a rather well detailed one too. It was my inspiration for what follows.

Figure 1

[​IMG]

Figure 2

[​IMG]

Although this project is not yet complete, as I still have a vest and pouches to make, I decided to post his now to get some feedback from others as to the appearance and practicality of use or application. In other words, given the opportunity, would you wear it in a game? Would it be practical under the right conditions? Let’s face it, it would not be for everybody, nor would it work in every game, but under the right conditions, does this have potential?

Let’s start with an overview, the basic under armor as it appears now (figure 3); mind you, the vest is just a stand in, the final vest will be my new version 7 and will have OD MOLLE strapping like the leg platforms.

Figure 3

[​IMG]

Figures 4 and 5 show my friend wearing the suit; the skirt portion was not completed at the time of these pictures.

Figure 4

[​IMG]

Figure 5

[​IMG]

Obviously, the full body pictures make it a bit difficult to see any details; therefore, the following images will fill in those gaps.

Figure 6 (A close-up of the collar)

[​IMG]

The original collar was just two pieces; however, it was modified into this design to allow easier removal of the suit without removing the collar from the vest.

Figure 7 (The shoulder paldrons)

[​IMG]

Figure 8 (The bicep guards)

[​IMG]

It was decided to use the loop Velcro instead of standard webbing for the MOLLE strapping to allow the wearer to apply hook backed patches or insignias.

Figure 9 (The forearm guards)

[​IMG]

Here again, the loop Velcro was used; however, this time it was used to reduce the bulk and eliminate buckles and pull-straps while providing maximum use of the MOLLE attachment points and a strong, but adjustable closure.

Figure 10 (The armored skirt)

[​IMG]

This is the third attempt at the skirting, the original prototype was too flimsy and did not hang properly, the second was much better, but the attachment method chosen became too bulky on the belt, taking up too much space. This version attaches directly to the vest’s belt keepers and the front and back panels have snaps for easy removal. Additionally, their foam inserts can be removed; this way, a slightly thicker or thinner pad can be inserted to provide more or less protection as desired.

The side panels have MOLLE strapping to allow for additional attachments of accessories. For those persons with a bit more girth, there will be filler panels available; I just have to figure out how to attach them without filling the belt up as the previous attempt did.

Because of the images limit, i will post the rest of this in a second post, sorry for the double post.

2. BoogerMc

Akron
    Here is part two.

A little side project that developed out of this one, and is based on a device called a frog. It was used in the days of knights and pirates to hold one’s sword on one’s side. I modified the idea and made it MOLLE backed with the ability to mount it at various angles (see figure 11). Basically, it wraps around the sword sheath (or in figure 12, a machete) and allows it to be attached to a MOLLE based platform; it could be attached to the back of the vest, the drop-leg platform, or the shin guard, if the wearer wanted to mount a large hunting or survival knife.

Figure 11 (The frog)

[​IMG]

Figure 12 (The frog holding a machete)

[​IMG]

Figure 13 (The thigh guards)

[​IMG]

Based on my normal Drop-leg platform, this version was extended several inches to cover more of the leg and have a larger attachment area. My friend plans to carry as many magazine pouches as possible because he wants to serve a dual role. He wants to serve as support and the team mule; he would carry additional magazines, batteries, etc. so that others can reduce their load. After all, he’s not going to be running around doing back flips in this thing.

Figure 14 (The shin guards)

[​IMG]

The shin guards are a lot like the forearm guards, they contour to the leg and use loop Velcro to reduce bulk and excessive hardware.

I already have an actual customer who wants a complete suit in OD, but he has requested guards for the back of the hands and the instep of the boots; something I will have to work on when the time comes.

Anyway, what do you guys think, does this look like a solid foundation for a juggernaut suit? I will update as the project progresses (you can view more pictures here, http://photobucket.com/projectjugernaut).

3. Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon Active Member

Leiden
    I think it is a pretty cool idea, but I think it would be VERY hot, so it would only work when it is cold outside, and I think that it could be used in a games where there's one juggernaut on one team and multiple other people on the other. How much is this going to cost?

BTW, the game it is from is call of duty.

4. BoogerMc

Akron
    Price has not been set yet, but because of forum rules, I cannot discuss it here anywyay.

The heat issue has been brought up by another team member, however, as this has never been tested in full gear, I do not know the extent to which this will be an issue. We have a game coming up on December 15th, my friend is hoping I have it done by then, but I don't see it happening as my plate is pretty full right now. He'll be able to wear what is pictured here, but he may not have all of his pouches and accessories ready by then.

Thank you, I thought that was where he said he got it, but I wasn't sure.

5. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Personally, I'm more of an only-carry-what-you-need guy, not to mention my dislike for call of duty, but that aside, I still think this is an awesome concept. It seems to be coming along pretty well. In the inspiration picture, it looks like he has some sort of plastic arm guards, are you planning to do anything about that?

6. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Going a little codsofter on us.But it may be cool when it's done.

7. Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon Active Member

Leiden
    You don't have to be a codsofter, in Far Cry 3 there are also juggernauts. So just be a FCsofter! :p

8. Topojijo

Topojijo New Member

It's a cool idea, but it will be bulky and heavy. It will also propably be hard to move around, so unless you're using it for a juggernaut type of game it will be unnecessary.

I also think that the mixture of OD and woodland makes the whole suit look a bit monotonous. The combination of woodland BDU's, black vest and tan pouches/accesories makes it look a bit homemade and unique which is a plus.

9. BoogerMc

Akron
    There will be no plastic guards at this point; however, the future is not set. In fact, I'm looking into a new project that will allow me to begin making hard plastic knife and sword sheathes. However, that's another story.

As for the color scheme, I make what the customer requests, you know what I mean. The real customer wants his in OD only, to go with his vest I made for him a few months ago.

[​IMG]

This is his vest, he's about the size of an NFL linebacker; in fact, we measured him against the prototypes pictured here and the forearm and shin guards will need to be expanded about 4 to 6 inches wider, but the length is just perfect.

10. BoogerMc

Akron
    Just finished the new vest for the armor, thought I'd post a few pics. Sorry, they're a little dark. I'll see if I can get some better ones in the next day or so. I will hopefully have video of the suit in action after the weekend, as we have a game on the 15th. The owner wants to try it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy,

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  11. Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon Active Member

Leiden
    It still looks very cool, but wouldn't a balaclava, helmet and goggles look a bit better? Or do they require a full face mask at your field?

12. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Booger, for your games I feel this person would have an unfair advantage. Do you agree?

13. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    That's kind of the point. He's supposed to be powerful and hard to eliminate, but not to be used in regular games.

14. BoogerMc

Akron
    Honestly, playing by our original rules, it really wouldn't matter since hits don't count; however, yeah, the guy in the suit wants to be capable of withstanding a lot. As to the mask, I have no control over that, it's his choice, but since it's supposed to be based on the first couple of pics, it's as close as he could come with what he had.

15. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    That's what I meant... that outfit paired with a high pain tolerance should dominate in your games.

16. BoogerMc

Akron
    Yeah, that's the thing, I'm not too sure about his pain tolerance; however, this weekend we'll see. Especially if I get a hold of him with my new toy. I've been working on a little project for myself, it aint much but it's deffinitely unique as I've never seen one before. I'll post pics when it's finished.

17. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Look forward to it.

Interesting. But you do see what I am getting at?

18. BoogerMc

Akron
    Oh, yeah, I see it and so does he, that's the problem. LOL! :D

So when you gonna come up and play? It's just a few hours drive.

19. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Maybe this summer or next year. I'm going to college in either cincy or Toledo so I'll be closer.

20. BoogerMc

Akron
    Well, considering my current situation, after March, everything becomes questionable.