Featured Back to the AUG

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Splode, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Hey guys,
    After a year or so of buying a house an changing jobs, etc, I am getting back into airsoft and of course back into modding my favorite AEG, my JG AUG.
    Many of you were very helpful in the past and I'm hoping I can finally get this gun to work the way I want it to.
    Its current situation is:
    Stock Gears, High torque motor (ZCI 22TPA), m120 spring, unported cylinder with double o ring/metal teeth piston. Properly shimmed and lubed and shooting about 30rps.
    Problem 1: semi auto double fires, likely overspin. i guess this could be solved by auto braking.
    Problem 2: the usual problem of the awful trigger pull.

Im looking to ditch the AUG trigger altogether. Would getting a Gate Titan v3 or another trigger replacing mosfet solve these issues?
    Would maybe changing to a different gear ratio with the HT motor get me better trigger response and decrease overspin?

I also had overspin using a Tienly GT-4000 motor. I dont know which is the better motor to use so id appreciate suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    wetpee likes this.
  2. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    @Lefse
    Would appreciate your input on this as well.

3. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Problem 1 could possibly be solved by shortening the spring on the trigger switch trolley. Problem 2 could be solved by slightly elongating the contact piece in the primary trigger switch so that semi-auto is engaged "earlier" in the trigger pull. It can also help a bit to shim the internal trigger mechanism. I also recommend tightening down the gearbox somehow.

Here's the article I wrote a while back about the mods I've used on my AUG's: https://www.airsoftsociety.com/threads/how-to-augs-universal-army-rifle.145577/

wetpee likes this.
  4. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    yeah, i picked through that whole article as well as the old one i posted ages ago that you were in. Ive tried shortening the spring, ive tried a different brand of switch, ive even taken the trolley out and fired it tapping a knife on the contacts. Still overspin. i was looking at getting a gate titan just to ditch that garbage trigger altogether and to have the autobreaking feature if necessary.

wetpee likes this.
  5. Lefse

That's strange, with your gear train and properly functioning cut-off you should have very little overspin in semi auto and definitely not have double shots. Have you checked the cut-off lever for excessive wear or damage? Is the trigger switch sticking perhaps?

A GATE Titan or computerized/AB mosfet can potentially fix any double shot issues, but it should definitely be possible to fix it without getting a $100+ mosfet.

6. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Im sorry, i should have mentioned im using a very good 11.1 lipo but still get a little overspin with a 7.4 which sometimes precocks instead of doing an entire extra cycle. Oh, and I put in a lonex cutoff and shimmed all the gears slightly lower so it would engage with more contact.
    I cant really tell if anything is sticking in the trigger switch because its too fast to see. id need a slo mo camera or something.
    Honestly the Gate Titan is just something i might consider anyway if it will ditch that horrible trigger. i have nightmares of compressing that spring while trying to keep the trigger from falling out of place or falling off the table when the m120 spring slips.
    I chose a difficult AEG as my favorite. But when it works, it works like a dream.

On a side note, the trigger response is still not where id like it. Will 13:1 gears just make the problem worse?

7. Lefse

13:1 ratio gears combined with your motor and a high performance 11.1V li-po should yield good trigger reponse. It's difficult for me to diagnose your issues in more detail without having your gun on my tech bench. You shouldn't have much overspin with your setup and certainly not double shots in semi auto, unless something is wrong with the trigger mechanism.

Splode and wetpee like this.
  8. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Ok, ill have to look at the trigger trolley again then. i wonder if it could be the microfet doing something. Is there a possibility of it being wired wrong and not cutting off fast enough?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  9. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Random thought. Just in case it was the cut off lever, I had replaced it with a lonex cut off lever. However I have been seeing a few people mention that lonex cut off levers arent that good and sometimes dont work well in certain setups. Could that be the case here? Like if the original cut off was faulty and I never fixed it because I replaced it with a lonex?

10. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    There in lies the issue with Airsoft parts swapping in the 2020's...it is getting worse for tolerances and nothing is a drop in replacement. You will have to try it and let us know...

11. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    I will. Just gotta wait for someone to actually get a SHS cut off in stock and then ship it in less than the few decades that shipping is taking nowadays.

yrutimid likes this.
  12. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Welcome to Batch manufacturing, Part Deux.

13. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Well i literally havent changed a single thing since the last time i posted and for some reason it isnt overcycling now. Although its possible my 11.1 lipo just needs charging. Sometimes I hate teching.

14. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Yep, nevermind. On a fully charged battery it overspins almost every shot.
    I have some 13:1 shs gears coming today that im gonna throw in and ill check the trigger mechanism when i open it up.

15. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Should I be concerned about this? The stock gear used a welded sector delay chip. Is this likely to engage the tappet differently? Will I need a new delay chip? IMG_5892.jpg IMG_5893.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 6:23 PM
  16. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Can I get one of my fellow techs to comment on this? I currently have the gearbox open on my table and I don't want to mess with putting it back together again (screw that AUG trigger) if I'm likely going to need a delay chip on the sector gear.

17. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    Different tappet delayers will each have different delay times. Figuring out which works best is a trial and error process. Sometime the smaller cam with no chip works best, sometimes a delayer does. Play around and find out :)

You can also play around with the shape of the tappet fin and how it engages the delay cam or chip on the sector gear. A delay chip isnt the only thing that affects tappet timing..

-Spitfire- likes this.
  18. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Thanks. The problem is, it's a very annoying and frustrating process to put an AUG gearbox back together. The dual stage trigger mechanism is almost impossible to keep in place while compressing an m120 spring. I was hoping to get an idea beforehand so if it looks like I'm going to need one I can just order it and be done.

19. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    @Lefse What did you do about this in your build?

20. Lefse

I assembled it like I assemble other V3 gearboxes. I also didn't have a need for a tappet delayer outside of my 51 RPS SSG build.

-Spitfire- likes this.