Bar-10 sears

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by Shadowex3, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

So I recently bought a pre-upgraded Bar-10 that someone had put pretty much a full run of ASGI parts and a laylax piston into and predictably the m170 ripped a crescent moon divot straight through asgi's "reinforced" piston sear.

Now I didn't pay any more than I would've to get a stock one shipped here so while a Zero, V, or M trigger is way out of budget thanks to a speed trap, and since I'd never get a fair trade value for that much expense around here, I'm still comfortable putting some new (quality) sears in. I've got the stock parts still, actually I put the stock spring back in until those pushups start helping, but I'd obviously like to be able to run the 170.

From what I've read in order to pull that off for anywhere near a reasonable number of shots I'm looking at Deepfire for maybe a thousand or so and some have argued that PDI, Laylax, or especially Daiki's will last for ages.

I can't find any Daiki sears/sets, but I have found both Laylax and PDI 2nd sears as well as Deepfire, "MAMA" and SHS sets. I don't know anything about the last two and I'm not sure whether Laylax's PSS10 or PDI's Reinforced piston sear would be stronger. I'm also considering breaking out the dremel and finding a piece of really hard steel to epoxy onto the face of the ASGI piston, but again I'm not sure what I'd need to stand this kind of friction and pressure.

So, anyone compared both sets of sears, know where I could find a Daiki or tried a DIY solution?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

3. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

What kind of setup (piston and spring strength) do you run? I'm hoping the steel/aluminum Laylax piston I've got powered by asgi's m170 won't eat right through the PDI sear.

4. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    I have a pdi vacuum piston, pdi spring guide and pdi 150 spring. And daiki cylinder release lever and pdi 1st and 2nd sears. Honestly though pdi will give you no problems especially there sears.

5. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    You can try SHS steel sears from clandestine.

That run about $12 for both sears I believe. If they break, you not out that much.

6. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    The SHS VSR 10 sears WILL BREAK.
    They are not as good as people think.

7. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

I know it's been a bit but I wanted to leave a post for anyone coming after me that PDI's piston sears are absolutely not strong enough to handle an m170 spring and a metal piston. Maybe if I'd stuck with the much softer plastic stock piston it could've worked, or just torn up the piston instead, but I got maybe a magazine or so's worth of shots before the cylinder started being really hard to return and then started slamfiring on return after a couple more shots.

There's enough of the sear left to handle the stock plastic piston so at least that's still working, and given that PDI's sears probably are at least halfway decent steel it'll probably eat the plastic piston instead of wearing down any further.

Thanks for the help guys but at this point I'm starting to think this thing is cursed, and I'm ready to wash my hands of it and give it to someone else that will hopefully have better luck with it than it's brought me so far.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012